Re: Greetings!

  • Gideon D
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 22, 2010
      Thomas,

      Glad to be of service and a pleasure to have you with us.

      Most cordially,
      --Edmond--

      --- In KingdomofLyonnesse@yahoogroups.com, thomas bert <tbe4u@...> wrote:

      > Greetings Edmond
      >

      > Yes I recently joined and I am usually quite tentative.
      > This group seems to have many helpful and kind folks.
      > Your suggestion of "Arms and Armor of the Medieval
      > Knight" really sounds like an excellent book especially
      > for a novice like me. I will put it on my wish list. I am
      > grateful for the warm welcome.
      >

      > With Respect,
      > Thomas
      >

      > "Bellum Est Pater Omnium"

      > Hello Thomas, glad to see that you made it!
      >

      > Welcome to Lyonnesse, I believe that you'll find a lot of knowledge embodied in our members and all of us willing to share.
      >
      > My contribution is one of my favorite books:
      >
      > "Arms and Armor of the Medieval Knight" and here is link to a review:
      >

      > http://historymedren.about.com/od/armorandweaponry/fr/edge_paddock.htm
      >

      > I've checked, this book is readily available at amazon.com and was the first book of its type that I've ever earned. I love it and refer to it often.
      >

      > Welcome and Good Luck!
      >
      > --Edmond--
      >

      > --- In KingdomofLyonnesse@yahoogroups.com, "Ares" <tbe4u@> wrote:
      >

      > > Hello
      >

      > > Okay I am the new guy. I am pleased that I
      >
      > > can join this group of yours. I know that it
      >
      > > is not large but that not not mean poor quality.
      >

      > > I have always loved military history as far back
      >
      > > as I can remmber. I have been interested in learning
      >
      > > of the 200 years of Outremer and pretty much all
      >
      > > eras of English warfare. I also have been interested
      >
      > > in the Knights Templars. I know you are probably
      >
      > > thinking that boy has seen to many movies. The fact
      >
      > > is this has always been a passion.
      >

      > > I have to confess that I know virtually nothing
      >
      > > about these subjects. That is not lack of trying
      >
      > > I have to read things twelve times in order for it
      >
      > > to sink into my brain. I have been told that you
      >
      > > guys really know your stuff. I would be appreciative
      >
      > > for any help that I could get.
      >

      > > I know that my interests are spanning a many
      >
      > > centuries but they are just so fascintating. Like
      >
      > > I said I am into the whole span of Outremer and for
      >
      > > English history anything from King Alfred the Great
      >
      > > to the death of King Richard III. I am more drawn
      >
      > > to the mounted knight and foot soldiers.
      >

      > > Is there any books that you folks could recommend?
      >
      > > I will probably have many questions but I would love
      >
      > > to be a productive member of this list. I hope that
      >
      > > this post is not to rambling. Again thanks for
      >
      > > letting me join.
      >

      > > With Respect,
      >
      > > Thomas

    • John Atkins
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 24, 2010
        Message
        Thomas,
        Not sure if I replied to this post yet or not, but my two cents worth says that getting into archery is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than getting into armor and fighting.  If your intent is to armor up for the purpose of participating in the fighting the required helmet alone could easily cost as much as an entire archery kit.  On the other hand considering you are likely to be hit with a ratan weapon, that would be solid bamboo, then having safe armor is not a choice but mandatory.  The object is to have fun and not kill each other.  I personally have an armor kit for a military archer which includes a full chain mail shirt, coif and kettle helm.  I also have a basinet from my combat archer days.  For the military archer I also have an archer's short sword and an archer's ax.  I use this stuff for demos only, I have retired from the combat archery - too much dinking around with the rules, the knights hate archers and do everything in their power to remove the activity, and the amo has gotten very expensive, about $5 per and you should have at least 100 shafts when you go to war.  So now days I observe and advise combat archer wannabees.

        kog
        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 24, 2010

          Greetings,

          Thank you again for the advice you have been very kind
          and helpful. I can only imagine the cost for a fully armed
          knight/foot soldier but I am not adverse to saving up my
          pennies. As for getting hit by a ratan weapon goes I
          sometimes think that a few people believe that I already
          have been!

          You seem to have all of the accouterments needed, that could
          not have been cheap either. Since you are not doing combat
          archery it is good that you can still be involved and educate.
          That is a noble endeavor.

          I am grateful for your time and effort. You are a good man and
          I look forward to discussions that we might have. I wish you
          all the best.

          With Much Respect,
          Thomas

          "Bellum Est Pater Omnium"