RE: [KingdomofLyonnesse] Archery

  • John Atkins
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 21, 2010
      Message
      Any one can throw on the range.  We are planning on day tripping.  We have a friend in Charlotte we will most likely be staying with Friday night, driving to site for the event, then returning to her place Saturday eve.

      kog
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 22, 2010
        Hello Thomas, glad to see that you made it!

        Welcome to Lyonnesse, I believe that you'll find a lot of knowledge embodied in our members and all of us willing to share.
        My contribution is one of my favorite books:
        "Arms and Armor of the Medieval Knight" and here is link to a review:

        http://historymedren.about.com/od/armorandweaponry/fr/edge_paddock.htm

        I've checked, this book is readily available at amazon.com and was the first book of its type that I've ever earned. I love it and refer to it often.

        Welcome and Good Luck!
        --Edmond--

        --- In KingdomofLyonnesse@yahoogroups.com, "Ares" <tbe4u@...> wrote:

        > Hello
        >
        > Okay I am the new guy. I am pleased that I
        > can join this group of yours. I know that it
        > is not large but that not not mean poor quality.
        >
        > I have always loved military history as far back
        > as I can remmber. I have been interested in learning
        > of the 200 years of Outremer and pretty much all
        > eras of English warfare. I also have been interested
        > in the Knights Templars. I know you are probably
        > thinking that boy has seen to many movies. The fact
        > is this has always been a passion.
        >
        > I have to confess that I know virtually nothing
        > about these subjects. That is not lack of trying
        > I have to read things twelve times in order for it
        > to sink into my brain. I have been told that you
        > guys really know your stuff. I would be appreciative
        > for any help that I could get.
        >
        > I know that my interests are spanning a many
        > centuries but they are just so fascintating. Like
        > I said I am into the whole span of Outremer and for
        > English history anything from King Alfred the Great
        > to the death of King Richard III. I am more drawn
        > to the mounted knight and foot soldiers.
        >
        > Is there any books that you folks could recommend?
        > I will probably have many questions but I would love
        > to be a productive member of this list. I hope that
        > this post is not to rambling. Again thanks for
        > letting me join.
        >

        > With Respect,
        > Thomas

      • thomas bert
        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 22, 2010

          Greetings Edmond

          Yes I recently joined and I am usually quite tentative.
          This group seems to have many helpful and kind folks.
          Your suggestion of "Arms and Armor of the Medieval
          Knight" really sounds like an excellent book especially
          for a novice like me. I will put it on my wish list. I am
          grateful for the warm welcome.

          With Respect,
          Thomas

          "Bellum Est Pater Omnium"

          Hello Thomas, glad to see that you made it!

          Welcome to Lyonnesse, I believe that you'll find a lot of knowledge embodied in our members and all of us willing to share.
          My contribution is one of my favorite books:
          "Arms and Armor of the Medieval Knight" and here is link to a review:

          http://historymedren.about.com/od/armorandweaponry/fr/edge_paddock.htm

          I've checked, this book is readily available at amazon.com and was the first book of its type that I've ever earned. I love it and refer to it often.

          Welcome and Good Luck!
          --Edmond--

          --- In KingdomofLyonnesse@yahoogroups.com, "Ares" <tbe4u@...> wrote:

          > Hello
          >
          > Okay I am the new guy. I am pleased that I
          > can join this group of yours. I know that it
          > is not large but that not not mean poor quality.
          >
          > I have always loved military history as far back
          > as I can remmber. I have been interested in learning
          > of the 200 years of Outremer and pretty much all
          > eras of English warfare. I also have been interested
          > in the Knights Templars. I know you are probably
          > thinking that boy has seen to many movies. The fact
          > is this has always been a passion.
          >
          > I have to confess that I know virtually nothing
          > about these subjects. That is not lack of trying
          > I have to read things twelve times in order for it
          > to sink into my brain. I have been told that you
          > guys really know your stuff. I would be appreciative
          > for any help that I could get.
          >
          > I know that my interests are spanning a many
          > centuries but they are just so fascintating. Like
          > I said I am into the whole span of Outremer and for
          > English history anything from King Alfred the Great
          > to the death of King Richard III. I am more drawn
          > to the mounted knight and foot soldiers.
          >
          > Is there any books that you folks could recommend?
          > I will probably have many questions but I would love
          > to be a productive member of this list. I hope that
          > this post is not to rambling. Again thanks for
          > letting me join.
          >

          > With Respect,
          > Thomas

        • thomas bert
          Message 4 of 28 , Aug 22, 2010

            Greetings,

            I want to thank you again your reply. I am sure that
            everyone could use a little zen nowadays. I am glad
            that archery gives you that.

            Having to practice 5000 times I think that it would
            take me 10,000 times so that I do not end up shooting
            myself! I guess that that is partly why I have other aspects
            that interesting me.

            I have seen Byron Ferguson on t.v. He his really is amazing
            what he can achieve. His passion is certainly deeper than
            mine.

            If I ever do decide to get into the art of the bow I would
            probably have to save up my pennies if I do consider to take
            it up. As far as cash goes yes the $40 start kit would
            be ideal but I am not very skilled. Although if I did want to
            start I am sure that after gaining experience I would
            develop those needed skills.

            I have always been fascinated with the battles of Crecy and
            Agincourt. I haven't really given the archery aspect much
            thought to be honest. It is quite interesting though.

            Merlin's story is astounding and inspiring. There just is
            nothing that can dampen the human spirit and when
            one has great passion one as the essence of life.

            I shall ponder about getting into the bow. Your help
            has really given me a new respect for this ancient
            weapon.

            You are certainly knowledgeable and very kind. I really
            do appreciate your time and effort in dealing with the
            new guy. You have me gratitude.

            I look forward to many more discussions and I hope to
            learn more and to eventually be able to be a helpful and
            productive member of this list.

            With Much Respect,
            Thomas

            "Bellum Est Pater Omnium"

            To: KingdomofLyonnesse@yahoogroups.com
            From: cogworks@...
            Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 17:39:51 -0400

            Thomas,
            Atlantia has a thing they call Royal Rounds.  It is a method for archers throughout the kingdom to compare themselfs as well as with archers in other kingdoms (the Royal Round is standardized throughout the SCA).  A Royal Round is six shafts at 20, 30, and 40 yards untimed and as many as you can get off in 30 seconds at 20 yards.  Scoring is on a standard FITA five ring target 5 - 1 from inner most color to outer most.  Thus a perfect 6 shaft end (shot at the prescribed yardage) would be 30 points.  Using a $100 bow I was able to record an average of 80.  Now my bows cost a bit more with my most expensive being in the $750 range.  However my scores are not substantially higher.  The best average I have ever been able to attain thus far is 90.  So, like my comment in my previous post, skill makes up for technology.  Rudder Bows makes some fine wooden bows for under or around $100.  Should even this be a strain on your budget, and I can fully appreciate that, they offer "finish it yourself" kits starting about $40.  I know several who have purchased these kits and made some very fine bows and are shooting quite well with them.  So my point is one does not need a Black Widow (about $1000 or more) or a Yumi (about $2000 and going up from there) to get great scores.  The entire secret of archery, and something I left out in my previous post of how I got started, is that archery is a zen like experience.  To get good, or to satisfy yourself that you can hit what you aim at with a degree of regularity, all it takes is focus and practice.  When I'm shooting well, whatever is "outside" I am not aware of.  As Mell Gibson said in Patriot "aim small, miss small".

            Shooting involves four basic steps, draw, anchor, aim, release.  The draw takes some strength and you can build up to it (more later on this!).  The anchor defines where you stop the draw.  My instructional starting point is the web of your hand at the base of your thumb goes to the point of your jaw.  Another anchor point is your index finger tip rests at the corner of your mouth.  Aiming is simply a matter of getting your aiming eye over the shaft.  This involves a slight tilt of the head.  The other issue then becomes how much elevation for the distance you are shooting.  This is determined only over time with your bow and your arrows.  The last part is the release.  The release is little more than simply stop holding the string.  You relax your draw hand and let the string pull out of it.  Your draw hand should do one of two things stay at your anchor point or move back to rest on your rear shoulder.  A beginner mistake is for the draw hand to fly away from the face doing what we call the balerina.  This pulls the string away from your face and the back of arrow causing the arrow to waggle ro swim as it goes down range.  Once you determine your personal draw, anchor, aim, release process all that's needed is to do it 5000 times so it becomes automatic.  And that translates into practice.  Of course having a place to practice helps a great deal but it is possible to practice archery in an appratment.  NO!  I am not suggesting you line up a room mate and have them hold paper plates in front of them across the room, although with some room mates I've had in the past I like the idea!!  Get a plastic trash can and put some pillows or a wadded up blanket you don't want any more in the bottom third of it.  Mount it on a wall so it is horizontal.  That is, the open end, top, is facing away from the wall.  Take one arrow and take the point off so it is blunt.  Stand about 3 - 4 feet from the top of the trash can and practice draw, anchor, aim, release.  There you go, practice in an appartment!  Byron Ferguson, the guy who shoots asprins out of the air does this with a burlap bag hanging in a tree.  He stands so close he shoots, steps forward to withdraw the arrow and shoots again.  It really is about the four steps, draw, anchor, aim, release.

            So how much would it cost to get started?  $40 for a finish it yourself bow (or less for a good bow from eBay or garage sale - I've got way more points on how to buy a used bow that I can share if you are interested in this) and 6 arrows at about $6 per arrow max.  Of course you WILL get hooked and want more, but that's down the line.  But for under $100 you're in the game and actually realizing what it meant to be one of those yeoman on the battle field at Crecy or Agincourt.  When we do demos for schools in the area I have the participating archers do a draw, hold, release on command so the kids get an idea of that it would be like to have 5000 to 7000 arrows falling on the target all at once.  It is impressive!

            As for questions or discussions about aspects of the Middle Ages and particularly archery I'm here and obvious, mostly because I type really fast, am more than willing to enter in discussions.

            Now not knowing you but thinking in terms of physical limitations let just share with you one individual who attends Pennsic, the world's largest gathering of SCA folk this year 10,000 but usually more like 15 to 20 thousand.  Merlin suffered a tragic accident some years past and is confined to a wheel chair.  He acts as a marshal, safety officer, on the range at Pennsic every single day.  He still shoots.  Yes, even from his wheel chair and he is a formidable archer.  I know of several folks who have had shoulder operations that used to shoot bows in the 50 pound range or more but are not shooting bows of much less poundage due to the operations.  In fact the latest record breaking arrow flight distance shot was set by a youth in England with a 25 pound bow.  Once does not need high poundage bows to be a good shooter.  Bdugets permitting, I encourage you to join in.

            kog
            Message 5 of 28 , Aug 22, 2010

              Good day to you!

              Yes it does seem that getting into the bow would be comparatively
              cheaper than the foot soldier role. Yes I totally agree that kog
              really knows his stuff and I am grateful for answering all of my
              questions.

              I myself am in financial difficulties. I do construction work but things
              have been slow lately. I am sure that with practice one can develop
              many useful skills and save quite a bit of money. That is why I need
              to keep focused and what aspects of medieval warfare that I am
              more interested in.

              Yes if I do decide to get into archery I would guess that somewhere
              I could find bows and a reasonable price. As a matter of fact I heard
              that there was a guy around here that made  English longbows.
              However he was to expensive for my friend. So I know if I do get
              into archery I should not have a problem finding what I need.

              I am amazed at how helpful and friendly all of you are, especially
              to a guy that you really do not know. I would love to one day meet
              all of you and express my appreciation.

              With Respect,
              Thomas

              "Bellum Est Pater Omnium"

              good day thomas,

              i have found that archery is one of the most inexpensive hobbies that one can get into in the sca. another friend got me back into archery, but i have found out so much more from kog.

              i am a student at the moment, and am also in a financial bind. i am having to buy cheap aluminum arrows that are all black. it is not truly authentic, but it works. i have also heard that making your own arrows can cut down on cost. it is just one of those things that pay off over a long period of time.

              and i am sure that you can find decent bows. i would recommend a maker, but they have gone out of business. i recommend finding people in your kingdom like kog that can give you better advice on that front.

              hope that you find out what you like and have a great time doing it. all of us here in lyonnesse get to meet you someday.

              sincerely
              Lady Rose McDade

            • Gideon D
              Message 6 of 28 , Aug 22, 2010
                Thomas,

                Glad to be of service and a pleasure to have you with us.

                Most cordially,
                --Edmond--

                --- In KingdomofLyonnesse@yahoogroups.com, thomas bert <tbe4u@...> wrote:

                > Greetings Edmond
                >

                > Yes I recently joined and I am usually quite tentative.
                > This group seems to have many helpful and kind folks.
                > Your suggestion of "Arms and Armor of the Medieval
                > Knight" really sounds like an excellent book especially
                > for a novice like me. I will put it on my wish list. I am
                > grateful for the warm welcome.
                >

                > With Respect,
                > Thomas
                >

                > "Bellum Est Pater Omnium"

                > Hello Thomas, glad to see that you made it!
                >

                > Welcome to Lyonnesse, I believe that you'll find a lot of knowledge embodied in our members and all of us willing to share.
                >
                > My contribution is one of my favorite books:
                >
                > "Arms and Armor of the Medieval Knight" and here is link to a review:
                >

                > http://historymedren.about.com/od/armorandweaponry/fr/edge_paddock.htm
                >

                > I've checked, this book is readily available at amazon.com and was the first book of its type that I've ever earned. I love it and refer to it often.
                >

                > Welcome and Good Luck!
                >
                > --Edmond--
                >

                > --- In KingdomofLyonnesse@yahoogroups.com, "Ares" <tbe4u@> wrote:
                >

                > > Hello
                >

                > > Okay I am the new guy. I am pleased that I
                >
                > > can join this group of yours. I know that it
                >
                > > is not large but that not not mean poor quality.
                >

                > > I have always loved military history as far back
                >
                > > as I can remmber. I have been interested in learning
                >
                > > of the 200 years of Outremer and pretty much all
                >
                > > eras of English warfare. I also have been interested
                >
                > > in the Knights Templars. I know you are probably
                >
                > > thinking that boy has seen to many movies. The fact
                >
                > > is this has always been a passion.
                >

                > > I have to confess that I know virtually nothing
                >
                > > about these subjects. That is not lack of trying
                >
                > > I have to read things twelve times in order for it
                >
                > > to sink into my brain. I have been told that you
                >
                > > guys really know your stuff. I would be appreciative
                >
                > > for any help that I could get.
                >

                > > I know that my interests are spanning a many
                >
                > > centuries but they are just so fascintating. Like
                >
                > > I said I am into the whole span of Outremer and for
                >
                > > English history anything from King Alfred the Great
                >
                > > to the death of King Richard III. I am more drawn
                >
                > > to the mounted knight and foot soldiers.
                >

                > > Is there any books that you folks could recommend?
                >
                > > I will probably have many questions but I would love
                >
                > > to be a productive member of this list. I hope that
                >
                > > this post is not to rambling. Again thanks for
                >
                > > letting me join.
                >

                > > With Respect,
                >
                > > Thomas

              • John Atkins
                Message 7 of 28 , Aug 24, 2010
                  Message
                  Thomas,
                  Not sure if I replied to this post yet or not, but my two cents worth says that getting into archery is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than getting into armor and fighting.  If your intent is to armor up for the purpose of participating in the fighting the required helmet alone could easily cost as much as an entire archery kit.  On the other hand considering you are likely to be hit with a ratan weapon, that would be solid bamboo, then having safe armor is not a choice but mandatory.  The object is to have fun and not kill each other.  I personally have an armor kit for a military archer which includes a full chain mail shirt, coif and kettle helm.  I also have a basinet from my combat archer days.  For the military archer I also have an archer's short sword and an archer's ax.  I use this stuff for demos only, I have retired from the combat archery - too much dinking around with the rules, the knights hate archers and do everything in their power to remove the activity, and the amo has gotten very expensive, about $5 per and you should have at least 100 shafts when you go to war.  So now days I observe and advise combat archer wannabees.

                  kog

                  Message 8 of 28 , Aug 24, 2010

                    Greetings,

                    Thank you again for the advice you have been very kind
                    and helpful. I can only imagine the cost for a fully armed
                    knight/foot soldier but I am not adverse to saving up my
                    pennies. As for getting hit by a ratan weapon goes I
                    sometimes think that a few people believe that I already
                    have been!

                    You seem to have all of the accouterments needed, that could
                    not have been cheap either. Since you are not doing combat
                    archery it is good that you can still be involved and educate.
                    That is a noble endeavor.

                    I am grateful for your time and effort. You are a good man and
                    I look forward to discussions that we might have. I wish you
                    all the best.

                    With Much Respect,
                    Thomas

                    "Bellum Est Pater Omnium"