Re: Kingdom name suggestion

  • houseofgrey
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 3, 2009
      OOOO! I like this name! While my brother who got all of dad's fortune, the rat, Christophe is of French decent, and I suppose then too am I but of course the cast off brother thus Kastoff of Grey, my fortune was made in Wales due to marriage to the lovely and gracious Lady Grey, in the west of the English lands in a small village of Grey where I survive as a lord of Lord Grey's lands and a cordwainer. Thus LYONNESSE fits so much better. Besides the part about "The men of Lyonnesse were strong, tall and handsome: the women possessed of a serene and noble beauty" who can argue? Are not our women of noble serene beauty and not our men strong, tall and handsome? Why then should any other name fit?

      This one has my vote!

      kog who uses too many ! marks!!

      --- In Calidore@yahoogroups.com, "draxprime" <draxprime@...> wrote:

      > I was just reading some of my various medieval resources and came across an oldie but goodie from the old stories:
      >
      > LYONNESSE (pronounced Lee-on-ess, accent on the last syllable).
      >
      > Here's some of the descriptions of the legendary kingdom of Lyonnesse:
      >
      > 1. "mythical "lost" land supposed once to have connected Cornwall in the west of England with the Scilly Isles lying in the English Channel. The name Lyonnesse first appeared in Sir Thomas Malory's late 15th-century prose account of the rise and fall of King Arthur, Le Morte Darthur, in which it was the native land of the hero Tristan. Arthurian legend, however, had long associated Tristan with Leonois—probably the region around Saint-Pol-de-Léon in Brittany—and this form is the source of Malory's Lyonnesse."
      > --Encyclopedia Brittanica--
      >
      > 2. "mythical "lost" land supposed once to have connected Cornwall in the west of England with the Scilly Isles lying in the English Channel. The name Lyonnesse first appeared in Sir Thomas Malory's late 15th-century prose account of the rise and fall of King Arthur, Le Morte Darthur, in which it was the native land of the hero Tristan. Arthurian legend, however, had long associated Tristan with Leonois—probably the region around Saint-Pol-de-Léon in Brittany—and this form is the source of Malory's Lyonnesse.
      > --Encyclopedia Brittanica--
      >
      > 3. ""That sweet land of Lyonnesse"—a tract between the Land's End and the Scilly Isles, now submerged full "forty fathoms under water." Arthur came from this mythical country."
      > --Bartleby.com--
      >
      > 4. "An island nation once situated in the neighborhood of the Sicily Isles, in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Cornwall. In the days when King Arthur ruled over England, Lyonnesse was aflourishing community which enjoyed a perfect year-round climate. The fertile orchards and farmlands gave several crops a year, the cows produced thick cream and the beehives oozed with the richness of their honey.
      > The men of Lyonnesse were strong, tall and handsome: the women possessed of a serene and noble beauty. The castles of the Knights of Lyonnesse had a graceful splendor which concealed their inner strength, and even the poorest folk lived in neat cottages amidst charming gardens.
      > There was considerable trade and traffic between England and Lyonnesse, especially since the island was favoured as a place of recuperation for lovelorn maidens or knights weary of long adventuring.
      > Some people of Lyonnesse were adept practitioners of white magic, but the black arts were unknown.
      > Despite the virtue and nobility of the islanders, their nation sank beneath the waves at about the time of King Arthur's death: Now, when the great Atlantic rollers sweep in from the west, the fishermen of Cornwall sometimes hear the church bells of Lyonnesse tolling mournfully beneath the waves."
      > --Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were--

> [...]
    • Larry Ray
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 4, 2009

        I regret to inform you that after doing a search for LYONNESSE it is NOT available. All is not lost however. According to Wikepedia Lyonesse is an English alteration of French Léoneis or Léonois (earlier Loönois). So I did a search for Leoneis. And it is available. I think we should go with the original French version of the name and buy LYONEIS.COM….it is in my opinion perfect! Let me know your thoughts.

        Batu

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 4, 2009

          Forgive me for misspelling in my last post. I think we should purchase the original French version of the name LEONEIS.COM. It is short, easy to remember and has the credibility of having a .com as opposed to a .org or .net

          Let me know if we as a group want to buy LEONEIS.COM for our new site.

          Batu

[...]

        • Christopher Colville
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 4, 2009
            Lord Batu,

            thank you again for all of the work you are putting forward towards our web prescence.

            I like the name Sir Edmond posted as well   "Lyonnesse"  I give my vote towards this.

            Do we have the option of   .COM  or .ORG?

            Since we all predominantly live in the western NC region  and foothills or central region ....

            could we go with for example    KOL.com  or KOL.org  .....Kingdom of Lyonnesse

            as the web address you type in but the main page when it opens use Lyonnesse?

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 4, 2009
              I like it!!

              Sir Christopher Colville

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 4, 2009

                From everyone’s input it appears that the name we want included in the domain name is “Lyonnesse”  As My Lord pointed out we can title the website anything we like after we have a domain name. We want to stay with a .com if possible. Kol.com and kol.org are already taken. I just did another search using some of the suggestions My Lord and here is a couple that I found available.

                KOLYONNESSE.COM

                KINGDOMOFLYONNESSE.COM

                I personally do not like abbreviations in a domain name, it just further confuses a person. Although a bit longer I feel KINGDOMOFLYONNESSE.COM is the best choice. It will be easy to remember, it is a .com, it is as short as our choices allow, and it includes the name we want to use.

                Let me know if you want one of the above.

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 4, 2009
                  I agree with you Batu.

                  Isolde

                  PS - Great Kingdom name!!!!

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 4, 2009

                    So does this mean I have the go ahead to purchase KOLYONNESSE.COM and proceed? I need to stress the importance of making a decision on this quickly because I do have a window of opportunity open to work on the a new site. I have several website estimates on the table waiting for a reply, should some of those pan out that window of opportunity could quickly close. I can still get us a website up asap but if priorities arise I would be forced to prioritize and my time to work on the site would greatly diminish. Great to see the up loads on the yahoo site! There will be built in article section built that will be part of our new site. The files there can easily be transferred to that article section.

                    Let me know your decision on the domain name.

                    Batu

                    From: Larry Ray < swordsman@triad. rr.com >
                    To: Calidore@yahoogroup s.com
                    Date: Friday, September 4, 2009, 5:16 AM

                    Forgive me for misspelling in my last post. I think we should purchase the original French version of the name LEONEIS.COM. It is short, easy to remember and has the credibility of having a .com as opposed to a .org or .net

                    Let me know if we as a group want to buy LEONEIS.COM for our new site.

                    Batu

                    I regret to inform you that after doing a search for LYONNESSE it is NOT available. All is not lost however. According to Wikepedia Lyonesse is an English alteration of French Léoneis or Léonois (earlier Loönois). So I did a search for Leoneis. And it is available. I think we should go with the original French version of the name and buy LYONEIS.COM…. it is in my opinion perfect! Let me know your thoughts.

                    Batu

                    size=2 width="100%" align=center tabIndex=-1>

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 4, 2009
                      KINGDOMOFLYONNESSE.COM

                      sounds and looks good to me.  proceed if at all possible with this one first and use

                      KOLYONNESSE.COM  as a back up

                      thanks

                      From: Larry Ray < swordsman@triad. rr.com >
                      To: Calidore@yahoogroup s.com
                      Date: Friday, September 4, 2009, 5:16 AM

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 4, 2009
                        I like it as well.
                        I considered suggesting it but thought that might be a bit presumptuous or something given my persona name.  But I am glad everyone seems to like it and thanks to Sir Gideon for putting it out there!

                        Tristan Lopez of Blackthorne

                        "You're meant to charge in banners flying, sword drawn! That's what all the other knights did..." -- Princess Fiona
                        "Yeah, right before they burst into flame!" -- Shrek

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 4, 2009
                           yeah i liked it too..  thanks  Sir EDMOND...:)