12 days later.........

  • The Greys
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 18, 2010
      Last post this list Jan 6, Jan 18 now, welcome to the dead zone!!

      OK, weird beginning, for the archers of Lyonesse, who would like a class on how to make arrows? At about $75 or more per dozen they are a bit pricy when you consider you WILL lose some, break some, some get bent and don't straighten out, etc, etc. It's ammo folks. It's expendable. Yeah, even at about $3 per shaft. (Expensive hobby.) But if you make your own you can customize them to you. YOUR color fletching. YOUR color nocks. YOUR color shaft. You gotta use field points so you don't tear up the targets but hey, you got lots of other options. If you are so inclined I can even show you how to go crazy on your arrows doing all sorts of "customized" work.....fill in the blank as needed there!

      Post here if my wacky intro intices you to actually want this class. Given enough adult beverage I could be persuaded to actually do the class. In truth, if it gets more archers on the range, then I will forgo the adult beverage......for a while. Come on! Ale WAS period!!

      NOTE: Adult beverages and archery DO NOT MIX! This is one rule I will NOT violate. W-A-Y too dangerous!

      As a shameless plug, there is an upcoming SCA event for all things missle. It's called Southern Atlantian Archery Day or SAAD for short. It all begins Friday night with a night shoot. Saturday 9 am sharp all the fun begins with a group clout shot. Then about 15 field targets. Some moving, some timed, some static. Then about 15 woods walk targets. This year the woods walk is guarenteed to be diabolical. Homie, that twisted mind that has brought us the double pendulum and windmill, will be setting the woods walk. There will also be combat archery and seige engine fun plus atlatls. If interested, email me for details. Date April 23-25, Elkenburg Castle site.

      kog
    • Keat Cahoon
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 18, 2010
        that sounds like absolute fun. i was thinking of holding a book making class for the Lyonesse group, but i am debating if i should hold it in two parts. when i made the books in class, both books took at least two full 75 minutes classes. that was a fair amount of work. i think the one thing that i would ask all members of the kingdom to bring an awl if you have one, and any extras that you might have lying around. i am hoping that we can make a simple book at the next meeting that we all have together.

        i do need more arrows and making some would be so much better then buying them. i only have one place i know of that sells any equipment that i need, and it is $36 for half a dozen arrows. and i am making it to SAAD no matter what.

        Rose McDade (keat cahoon)

        To all of my fellow Lyonesse, I hope that grace smiles upon you and your households today.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 19, 2010
          Actually Kastoff...

          Christopher and I may just take you up on that.. :)  Things are getting a bit easier for us and we are going to be able to do a bit more this year than we were able to last year.

          You guys might actually get me on the archery field this year!  And I know Christopher desperately wants to spend more time out there.

          I know Christopher is working with Batu and Elizabeth on the next event(s) and I'll see what I can do to prod him to get him to set the date and finalize details with them this week.

          So let's compare schedules and see what we can get worked out.

          Princess Isolde

          P.S.  Cog will see Baroness Rozsa and Lord Christian at SAAD