Link to Kingdom Website?

  • Wulf aka Bryan Hubbard
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 7, 2009
      I was wondering if there should be a link on this egroup to the kingdom website?

      I started to add it but thought I should ask first in case there is some issue I don't know about with having the link here.

      I am still sad that our event next week was cancelled. Perhaps we should start planning dates for next years events so we can avoid conflicts ahead of time. Planning well ahead would allow us all the best chance to make our Lyonesse events a priority and avoid conflicts with other nearby events with the SCA since some of us play in (and have responsiblities to) both groups.

      Tristan Lopez
    • John Atkins
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 8, 2009
        Message
        Tristan,
        I think a link to the kingdom web site would be an excellent idea.

        As for the planning ahead, that most definitely works for me.  If we were going ahead with next week's event I would not be able to make it.  I coach kid's ice hockey teams and we will be in Greenville SC next weekend.  Had I known about the, now canceled, event earlier I could have moved things around.  Planning ahead is NEVER a bad idea!

        kog
      • Isolde Rosemont
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 9, 2009
          Who would like to spearhead running the Spring event?

          Did anyone want to take on planning a holiday/winter day event?

          Princess Isolde

          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 9, 2009
            As for Blackthorne, we had planned on a hiatus between the now-cancelled Feast-of-St.Martin anniversary event and spring or summer, in order to complete projects and flesh-out our gear, as well as the many preparations for Gulf Wars.

            Over the holidays and winter months we'll be gathering locally to socialize and work on projects. For instance, Tristan and I crossed swords today and we have a three-man practice scheduled for next Monday afternoon.

            If we decide to schedule anything on a Sunday (or someone wants to join us on a Monday) please let us know so that we might plan accordingly.

            --Sir Edmond--
            *Vicar of Blackthorne*

            --- In KingdomofLyonnesse@yahoogroups.com, "Isolde Rosemont" <isolderosemont@...> wrote:

            > Who would like to spearhead running the Spring event?
            >
            > Did anyone want to take on planning a holiday/winter day event?
            >
            > Princess Isolde

          • John Atkins
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 9, 2009
              Message
              How about an electronic show of hands of those planning on attending Gulf Wars?  Count the Greys.  We will be camping with our Trimarian friends in Gold Star/Dragon's Den/House of Grey.  If might also be nice to know who is coming for the first time.  For the Greys we have attended enough times to make a very nice, though exceedingly expensive, wind chime out of our medalions!

              kog
            • Elizabeth Rhyder
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 9, 2009
                I had so hoped to get to participate in the now cancelled event.  I will be unable to attend the Gulf Wars, so hopefully I may meet  the group in the
                Spring.  Until then, I wish everyone health and happiness.

                Isolde Brickenden

                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 10, 2009
                  His Highness and mine attendance at Gulf Wars is up in the air at the moment.  Cruises are very cheap right now and the Mayan/Aztec ruins in South America are just too tempting!

                  Princess Isolde
                • Isolde Rosemont
                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 10, 2009

                    I would love to see someone other than Prince Christopher step up and agree to host the Spring Event.   I am certain he will be more than happy to act as the site liason for the event, however it would be nice for someone else to take on the planning and organizing of activities for the day.

                    Please  consider this and feel free to contact either of us if you have any questions!

                    Princess Isolde
                  • carrie blaskowski
                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 10, 2009
                      Tristan and I plan to attend this year.  I have never been and am greatly looking forward to it!

                      Elena

                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 10, 2009
                        Message
                        The Greys have done the Myan ruins tours.  Interesting but you wil be facing out stretched hands at the end.  The part we missed was being able to actually go INTO some of the structures.  Not allowed we were told.  Oh well, the cruise food and booze was worth it!

                        kog
                      • Keat Cahoon
                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 10, 2009
                          i am also unsure of gulf wars. it is during school and i am only allowed 5 absences from class. even though classes are mon-thurs, that is 2 per class right there. what is the deadline for Gulf wars? i might be able to get an answer by then.

                          hope all are well.

                          rose mcdade (keat cahoon)

                          To all of my fellow Callidorians, I hope that grace smiles upon you and your households today.

                          His Highness and mine attendance at Gulf Wars is up in the air at the moment.  Cruises are very cheap right now and the Mayan/Aztec ruins in South America are just too tempting!

                          Princess Isolde

                        • Buliwyf Kuehn
                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 11, 2009
                            I will be going to the Wars!

                            Buliwyf

                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 11, 2009
                              Message
                              Where will you be camping?

                              kog
                            • Gideon D
                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 12, 2009
                                Should I be frightened to answer "I don't know" or "at the event"?
                                :-(

                                --Edmond--

                                --- In KingdomofLyonnesse@yahoogroups.com, "John Atkins" <cogworks@...> wrote:

                                > Where will you be camping?
                                >
                                > kog

                              • John Atkins
                                Message 15 of 29 , Nov 12, 2009
                                  Message
                                  The Greys will be in attendance and camping with our Trimarian friends in Gold Star/Dragon's Den/House of Grey encampment.  When you come in to Gul Wars the main entrance road goes past two encampments that have wooden walls.  The first one is Trimaris Royal and I don't know the next one.  But if you continue on down this road you come to a T intersection.  Turning left you go into merchant row area.  Turning right you go back into more camping areas with a really cool Tudor style house on your left.  HOWEVER, as you are going down the original entrance road, one road over, on your right, is euphamistically referred to as the "back road".  On that road is where our camp is.  If you are able to locate Atlantia Royal our camp is two camps up towards the fort/merchant area, opposite direction from the bath house.

                                  OK, having said all that, my thought is perhaps at some point all Lyonnessians could meet up for a How Do.  Say at one of the food merchants or something, perhaps even that Tudor style house.  You see, in real life it is a tavern with drinks and ploughman's platters for a donation (GW and Mississippi wil not allow sale of alcohol on site).

                                  Just an idea,
                                  kog
                                • Isolde Rosemont
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 12, 2009
                                    Atlantian's encampment was very pleasant last year.

                                    Isolde

                                    Should I be frightened to answer "I don't know" or "at the event"?
                                    :-(

                                    --Edmond--

                                    --- In KingdomofLyonnesse@ yahoogroups. com, "John Atkins" <cogworks@.. .> wrote:

                                    > Where will you be camping?
                                    >
                                    > kog

                                  • John Atkins
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 12, 2009
                                      Message
                                      Agreed.  Sparely populated, but nice.

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Nov 12, 2009

                                        Back to Spring Event

                                        We obviously want to have one!  However Prince Christopher has been the main person in charge of setting up event and organizing them.  I would LOVE to see someone else try their hand at doing this.  I have a decent amount of experience running events and will be more than happy to provide any guidance - as will Prince Christopher.

                                        Please consider taking this task on for the Spring Event!

                                        Princess Isolde

                                        I would love to see someone other than Prince Christopher step up and agree to host the Spring Event.   I am certain he will be more than happy to act as the site liason for the event, however it would be nice for someone else to take on the planning and organizing of activities for the day.

                                        Please  consider this and feel free to contact either of us if you have any questions!

                                        Princess Isolde

                                      • The Greys
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Nov 12, 2009
                                          Going to a very large event the first time can be a bit intimidating. Plus if that event happens to be Gulf Wars you can expect it to be hot, cold, wet, dry all in one week. Who would think that it can get so cold in Mississippi in March? And yet it has. But it's also been really hot, and it's been really wet, remember Gulf Pours?, but it can also be really dry, sunny and beautiful. But worst of all is to show up expecting something to be there that isn't. Or do something like your's truly did one year. As I was unpacking the van and putting camp together it dawned on me that I did not see any of my bows, I usually take two, or arrows, usually two dozen for each bow. Yipper! Still sitting on the table in the garage back in North Carolina. So, in an effort to ease the pain of doing something stupid like yours truly I have uploaded an outline I use in my Gulf Wars for First Timers class. It is in the files section of this list. If you have specific questions, email me. It's much better to be prepared than not! And you will have an amazing time in one week at Gulf Wars. Of course, then you will want to do Pennsic..........

                                          kog
                                        • Larry Ray
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Nov 12, 2009

                                            I would love to discuss the possibility of doing the spring event with.

                                            Batu

                                            I would love to see someone other than Prince Christopher step up and agree to host the Spring Event.   I am certain he will be more than happy to act as the site liason for the event, however it would be nice for someone else to take on the planning and organizing of activities for the day.

                                            Please  consider this and feel free to contact either of us if you have any questions!

                                            Princess Isolde

                                          • Kjrstn Barranti
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Nov 12, 2009
                                              I would love to take on that responsibility. I don't know where I would want to hold it, but I would be happy to look into that matter.

                                              ~Elizabeth of Kent

                                              crimeofpoisson.etsy.com

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Nov 13, 2009
                                                Thank you VERY much! looks like we have some reading to do...
                                                --Edmond--
                                                P.S. My *plan* is to get them to Gulf Wars so that they will indeed want to go to Pennsic! <insert evil laugh> ;-)

                                                --- In KingdomofLyonnesse@yahoogroups.com, "The Greys" <cogworks@...> wrote:

                                                > Going to a very large event the first time can be a bit intimidating. Plus if that event happens to be Gulf Wars you can expect it to be hot, cold, wet, dry all in one week. Who would think that it can get so cold in Mississippi in March? And yet it has. But it's also been really hot, and it's been really wet, remember Gulf Pours?, but it can also be really dry, sunny and beautiful. But worst of all is to show up expecting something to be there that isn't. Or do something like your's truly did one year. As I was unpacking the van and putting camp together it dawned on me that I did not see any of my bows, I usually take two, or arrows, usually two dozen for each bow. Yipper! Still sitting on the table in the garage back in North Carolina. So, in an effort to ease the pain of doing something stupid like yours truly I have uploaded an outline I use in my Gulf Wars for First Timers class. It is in the files section of this list. If you have specific questions, email me. It's much better to be prepared than not! And you will have an amazing time in one week at Gulf Wars. Of course, then you will want to do Pennsic..........
                                                >
                                                > kog

                                              • Isolde Rosemont
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Nov 13, 2009

                                                  Superb!!  Two offers to run the Spring Event.  Ya'll are awesome!!!

                                                  I've let Prince Christopher know and ask that you both contact him (and maybe each other) and brainstorm the event - we have more than one that needs to be run next year - so you will certainly both have the opportunity to serve our little Kingdom as event stewards!

                                                  Thank you!!!!
                                                  Princess Isolde
                                                • Keat Cahoon
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Nov 13, 2009
                                                    i am already planning on going to Pennsic. I might only be able to go for a week, but that is alright. it depends on if i am working for a big company, for my new boss ( i am drawing japanese comics), or for my fiance (we do web development). i have more good news, i persuaded my fiance to accompany me to the Son of Hawkwood Howl event. he liked it so much that he is deciding to join the SCA and maybe come to our events as well. we are both thinking of joining the SCA officially so that we will be able to make it to more events.

                                                    i hope that all of you are well. i miss all of you, but am gld that we keep in touch. hope to talk to you soon.

                                                    salutations

                                                    Rose Mcdade (Keat Cahoon)

                                                  • John Atkins
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Nov 13, 2009
                                                      Message
                                                      Keat,
                                                      Pennsic - big step!  What I posted for Gulf Wars is pretty much the same for Pennsic with one big difference.  Gulf Wars draws about 5,000 people, Pennsic typically draws upwards of 25,000 people!  Five time larger, although in recent years the numbers have declined closer to the 10,000 - 15,000 range.

                                                      That's great to hear about your fiance.  You do realize that you can attend any SCA event and not be a member.  Of course logically speaking you save a lot of money by simply becoming a member instead of paying the non-member sur charge for each event.  It has been our observation that if one partner in a relationship is in the SCA/Lyonnesse and the other is not, soon the one in quits.  If both are "in the game" then they have something to share and it works for both.

                                                      kog
                                                    • Keat Cahoon
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Nov 14, 2009
                                                        i do love this medieval thing, so i am planning to attend more. it does make sense to become a member. the only reason why pennsic is better for me because it is during the summer and i do not have to worry about missing any classes. i am thinking that gulf will have to wait until i graduate from school.

                                                        well, aparently i have a thing of chosing to go to the big events.

                                                        hope you are well

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Nov 15, 2009
                                                          Message
                                                          Pennsic used to be the first two weeks of August.  Then it dawned, after how many Pennsics?, on the organizers that if they moved it up just one week all the teachers and those with kids could come and not stay home getting ready for the first week of school.  Thus Pennsic is now the last week of July , first week of August and works very well for those with school responsibilities/obligations.

                                                          kog

                                                          Pennsic - big step!  What I posted for Gulf Wars is pretty much the same for Pennsic with one big difference.  Gulf Wars draws about 5,000 people, Pennsic typically draws upwards of 25,000 people!  Five time larger, although in recent years the numbers have declined closer to the 10,000 - 15,000 range.

                                                          That's great to hear about your fiance.  You do realize that you can attend any SCA event and not be a member.  Of course logically speaking you save a lot of money by simply becoming a member instead of paying the non-member sur charge for each event.  It has been our observation that if one partner in a relationship is in the SCA/Lyonnesse and the other is not, soon the one in quits.  If both are "in the game" then they have something to share and it works for both.

                                                          kog

                                                        • Christopher Colville
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Nov 16, 2009
                                                            thank you Sir Batu. let us talk.

                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Nov 16, 2009
                                                              thank you so much Lady Elizabeth.  certainly it helps to have some options and add a few more capable event stewards to the roster.