Medieval Examples at MMA

  • Kjrstn Barranti
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 6, 2009
      I have had the fortune to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City quite a number of times. The past two visits were during the summers of 2007 and 2008. I have a selection of photographs from those visits available on Flickr. There are some really excellent examples of clothing in some exquisite statues and sculptures. Unfortunately many of these images are a bit blurred due to no flashes being allowed. Hopefully you will all find the images helpful. There is a large quantity of armour photos. Some statues, paintings, and other fascinating artifacts are also demonstrated.

      2007
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/crimeofpoisson/sets/72157600648245575/

      2008
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/crimeofpoisson/sets/72157607092685740/

      Hope all will find something of use here :)

      As always, if you need a larger version of any image, email me with the link to the particular image you want and I will email you back with the original attached.

      ~Elizabeth of Kent
    • carrie blaskowski
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 7, 2009
        Oh - jealousy!

        Those are wonderful photos - thank you so much for sharing!!  I especially loved the tapestries.

         Elena

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 8, 2009

          Lords and Ladies

          Much has been discussed lately concerning footwear...better said period footwear. I have been researching period footwear for over six years. In doing so I discovered that period footwear sucks. Yes you can make period shoes that are period right down the sinew stitching. Question is why? OK I can hear the populace now...wait a minute being period is what we are all about isn't it? Before anyone gets out the hangmen’s noose for Batu let me explain.

          Period shoes are something you are going to be wearing for hours, often for days. So you would want something comfortable and something that is going to give your feet protection from rocky and rough surfaces...right? Well period shoes are not what you want. What you want is a shoe that looks period but will still have some modern day materials and design options that will give your feet the protection they need. Can this be done you ask. Well one good thing about shoes is that they are very disguisable and modern day techniques can be used and hidden without anyone knowing the difference. Yes you can have a turn shoe with a heel, you just done want it to be seen. Yes you can have comfortable cushy insoles…again not seen. Yes you can have soles that will not slip…well they are not seen very often because you are standing on them most of the time.:^) So you can use modern ways to attach them to your period looking shoe. Bottom line is that you can use lots of modern day construction methods to make a sturdy and comfortable shoe that will still appear to be totally period. I will show you how and talk about options in this area later.

          So here is what I propose to you. I would like to see everyone in Lyonnesse in some sort of period shoe that is period for there persona before the end of next year let's say by our next birthday event. If you will contact me or KoG, providing he is up to the challenge, between the two of us every foot in our fair kingdom should be in some type of period shoe to there liking.

          It is not as difficult as you would think to make shoes both period and comfortable. So here is some links to get your minds thinking on this subject. I will have lots more coming as soon as this week’s event is over and I have time to take a breath :^)

          I have sent you a fun graphic showing you how to make a period looking pair of sandals. I plan on making a pair of these to wear at events. Not period but they resemble some period sandals. Just for fun they would be a kick.

          Batu

          http://talbotsfineaccessories.com/books/footwear.html - I highly recommend this site for instructional material to aid you in your shoemaking. It is as affordable as it gets and I have every one of his supplements and some of his CD's...EXCELLENT STUFF!

          http://www.scaboots.com/

          This site is probably the most affordable place to get a good pair of boots. I have personally seen these boots and know of one guy who wore a pair of these for over six years and he used them for everyday and even fought rapier in them...so they are sturdy boots as well

          http://www.catskill-moc.com/ - These are high dollar boots but worth it. They are by far the best ones out there

          http://www.sodhoppers.com/ - This would be my second choice if I bought a pair of custom boots, still expensive.

          http://www.seamlyne.com/design/costume/footwear/making_buttons.asp - If you want to try your hand at making a pair of boots yourself this is the link for you. It shows every step right down to the buttons. I made a pair of high top boots using these instructions in about a week for less than $50.00.

          http://www.shieldsandshoes.co.uk/Sands2.html - This guy makes excellent reenactor boots at a good price but it is in England ...shipping is expensive. Very period!

          http://craigmoc.smugmug.com/gallery/18967/1/645911#646230_xLeBd - Here is a bunch of pictures of low top and high top boots just to get you thinking.

        • Larry Ray
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 8, 2009

            For some reason the links did not come thru correctly. Here they are again. Hope it works this time.

            http://www.shieldsandshoes.co.uk/Sands2.htm This guy makes excellent reenactor boots at a good price but it is in England ...shipping is expensive. Very period!

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 8, 2009
              Batu,

              Thank you for that post and information!   I have to agree with you completely.  While we are trying to be as historically accurate as possible - shoes are one of those things that has progressed phenomenally since the Middle Ages and for a very good reason.  Wearing good shoes - especially when you are on your feet for extended period of times is just plain and simply healthy.  Your body will feel better and you won't get grouchy and not want to go anywhere because your feet hurt!  :)

              Being one of those that has never quite acquired period shoes, I will take up your challenge and will be properly attired in periodish shoes - but will do so by the Spring event (if not sooner!!!).

              Princess Isolde

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 8, 2009
                I wanted to let those of you in this Kingdom who may be at War of the Wings to know there is a possibility that Christopher and I may not be there.  He is still pretty sick, and as of this morning still had fluid in his lungs.  In the hopes of keeping him out of the hospital - if he is still not well Saturday morning, we will be staying home.

                If he is feeling well I look forward to seeing all of you at the event!!!

                 Princess Isolde (SCA= Baroness Rozsa)
              • The Greys
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 8, 2009
                  Excellent sites, well said Batu. I have but one comment. Some vendors are very good and very reputable, some are not. Catskill Mocasins attends the NC Ren Faire soon to be up and running in Huntersville, just south of most of us. My lady decided she wanted a pair of custom boots after all the years of not having a pair. TWO years ago she was measured and paid $700 for a pair of custom boots. She made a special request for extra toe room when she was being measured and it was marked thus on her reciept. The boots were promised delivery three months after the faire. Eight months later the boots arrived. She wore them for about one hour and decided they were simply too tight over the toes. I tried every technique I know to stretch the boots but stretching a shoe to make it longer is not as easy as stretching it to make it wider. After several phone calls she sent the boots back after the owner applogized profusly. About 6 months later the boots arrived a second time. There was a note inside the box that said that the owner decided not to remake the boots but to stretch them. She tried them on, and they were still far too tight. Phone calls later she returned the boots again with a promise of rebuilding the boots. Quote the owner "we want our customers to be happy". Well it has now been over two years since she ordered the boots, sent them back, but paid up front and she still is without boots. It would be exceptionally hard for the Greys to recommend Catskill mocasins. There are other vendors who make boots like this with much better service. Son of Sandlar is one of many. Their boots are sturdy, their service very good, and they stand behind their product. They even make a boot with a box toe for the fighters (getting your toes stepped on in battle really sucks!).

                  kog
                • Larry Ray
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 12, 2009

                    Lords & Ladies

                    I want to let everyone know that Lyonnesse was represented well at the SCA event War of the Wings. I counted 11of our members in attendance. Our Prince and Princess were greatly missed and I hope they are on the mends with the h1n1 (Swine) flue. My understanding it that it is being called “HINY” (H1n1) because of the abbreviation of course but also because it will sit you on your “Hiny”

                    I also want to let our Prince and Princes know that I spoke with some of the members at this weeks War of the Wings event about a conflict I have with the scheduling of our next event in November. I have committed to dong Scan feast at the request of our SCA Baron and Baroness. Scanfeast is a Scandinavian festival that my wife and I really enjoy doing because it fits so well with our SCA personas and I have attended this festival for the past three years.

                    I want to let the populace know about my conflict with the dates and ask if it is possible and not to late to consider rescheduling of the event. We will also have a possible date conflict with the weekend of November 14 because of the In a Phoenix Eye. I know our Prince and Princess are both a member of that order and I am assuming they do not want to miss this event.

                    I am in hopes by discussing this now so we can have enough time to find a solution and decide on at date that will make it possible for everyone to attend.

                    Lord Batu

                  • Isolde Rosemont
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 12, 2009
                      His Highness and I are doing much better, thank you!!!

                      I will speak with His Highness about the scheduling of the next event.  My personal schedule has me pretty tight in November.

                      The first weekend is SCA Crown Tourney/ScanFest and I don't think that we will have any issues with scheduling around that.

                      I am not really sure what His Highness and my personal plans are with regards to IAPE on November 14, however I do know that I will be in Florida the weekend of November 21 visiting my grandmother for her 80th Birhthday and of course November 28 is Thanksgiving weekend.  No worries - we wouldn't dream of scheduling an event that weekend!  :)

                      So with all of that in consideration I very well may be unable to make our November event...  :(

                      But I will be sure to point out the SCA conflicts with His Highness and see if we can get something scheduled around that.

                      Princess Isolde

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 14, 2009
                        1066 William the conqueror defeated the British at the Battle of Hastings
                      • The Greys
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 14, 2009
                          And liitle known fact, King Harold was heard to say "I wondered why the arrow was getting bigger and bigger.......then it hit me."

                          kog
                          I have the T-Shirt for documentation!

                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 14, 2009

                            KOG you ain’t right…course we all new that

                            Batu