Need general help

  • Erica J. Marceau
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2000
      Hi;

      I started my first game and have been running into some gameplay
      troubles that I hope can be solved by the more experienced players. If I
      forget to add some information that is necessary, please let me know.

      1) My biggest problem has to do with lack of cows. Maybe I¹m sacrificing too
      many for learning magic and quests, but I have been stuck around 500 with a
      population of 1000. This is affecting everything else in the game including
      making alliances, starting trade routes, clan morale, succeeding at quests,
      and the upkeep of my temples. I have a temple for that god that takes care
      of cows, but it¹s not enough. Should I just lay low And trade with others to
      get enough cows and not worry about magic until I get more cows?

      2) Some blind beggar came and said that my clan is ready to start a tribe
      but every time I tried, I failed. So I performed the quest that relates to
      starting a tribe.I admit to cheating and starting over to try and pick the
      right choices. Is there always a right choice for the quests and if your
      guy/gal is good enough then they will work?

      I always get to the very end where the clan with the name of Dark something
      attacks and I always pick the wrong choice at that point. Can someone point
      me in the right direction about how to pass this part?

      3) Everything else is okay. I have enough weaponthanes farmers and
      fortifications and pigs and sheep. If I just had enough cows then everything
      would be okay.
      --
      Erica J. Marceau, MacGamer's Ledge Contributing Editor/Hotline Manager
      ICQ: 25043398, AIM: MGL Erica, Fax: (425) 732-1744

      MacGamer's Ledge, <http://www.macledge.com/>
      Macintosh gaming website with news, reviews, guides, columns, and more.

      Hotline Server, <hlserver.com:1000>
      The latest demos, updates, shareware, extras, and lots more.
      Go to BigRedH.com to download the client

      Erica's Soapbox, <http://www.macledge.com/soapbox/soapbox.chtml>
      A forum for my thoughts on games and the gaming world.
    • Notelrac Starchasm
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2000
        > 1) My biggest problem has to do with lack of cows. Maybe I�m
        > sacrificing too many for learning magic and quests

        Quite likely. How many mysteries are you attempting to learn each
        year? I find that I can consistently gain a mystery once a year by
        allocating a single point, and sacrificing 7 goods. No cows. Plan
        to always do it during Dark season.

        > I have been stuck around 500 with a population of 1000.

        Read the manual; it has a guideline for what Orlanthi think about
        your herd size.

        > the upkeep of my temples.

        Didn't know that temples took cattle. They take sheep, and they take
        goods. Maybe you have too many shrines/temples.

        > Should I just lay low And trade with others to
        > get enough cows and not worry about magic until I get more cows?

        Are you giving away cows to lure carls and cottars to your clan?
        Are you spending on herds during Sacred Time?
        Have you built fortifications? (See the manual for why this helps)
        Some gods insist on cows-not-goods. The rest don't care.

        > I admit to cheating and starting over to try and pick the
        > right choices. Is there always a right choice for the quests

        Past discussions on this mailing list (including one from Dave
        Dunham) indicate that you can make non-optimal choices during a
        heroquest and still come out intact. Sometimes, the benefits are not
        the same.

        To find the optimal choice, read the manual about how to get the
        "details" of each quest story. Copy it down, or at least take notes.

        > guy/gal is good enough then they will work?

        I tried sending a Issaries female with Renowned magic and Excellent
        combat on the "Building a Clan" quest. She "flunked out"
        immediately. I suggest figuring out which god you are emulating, and
        reduce the cognitive dissonance.

        > I always get to the very end where the clan with the name of Dark
        something
        > attacks and I always pick the wrong choice at that point.

        Yeah, I made the wrong choice, too. The "wrong choice" is to do what
        Orlanth would normally do. Go read that part of the legend very
        carefully, and figure out what Orlanth did when the bad guys attacked
        his tribal moot.

        > If I just had enough cows then everything would be okay.

        "It's not just about cows"--but cows are important :-)

        Carl Hommel
        http://www.notelrac.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2000
          Erica asked

          >1) My biggest problem has to do with lack of cows.

          Since cows represent both food and wealth, I almost always sacrifice
          goods instead. (Don't be confused because people use "cow" to refer
          to wealth -- 1 good is worth 1 cow, and is usually acceptable as the
          same thing.)

          It's a good idea to have more cows than people (though I don't think
          this is a hard requirement).

          >2) Some blind beggar came and said that my clan is ready to start a tribe
          >but every time I tried, I failed. So I performed the quest that relates to
          >starting a tribe.I admit to cheating and starting over to try and pick the
          >right choices. Is there always a right choice for the quests and if your
          >guy/gal is good enough then they will work?

          Yes! The right choice in a heroquest is almost always implied by the
          details of the myth. Once you've learned "Making of the Storm Tribe,"
          switch to the Background screen and view it. Be sure to click the
          little circle to see the details.

          Even with the best choice, you won't always succeed. It depends on
          your hero(ine) and preparation -- and luck. Heroquests are hard, and
          some are harder than others (the Elmal quest and the Uralda quest in
          particular).

          David Dunham A Sharp david@...
          Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404 http://a-sharp.com
          Efficiency is intelligent laziness.
        • bjm10@cornell.edu
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2000
            KoDP has hit the "big time", sort of. I've started getting personal
            requests for the manual, which tells me that it's gotten onto one of the
            warez sites.

            Of course, I do tell these people how to get a manual--it comes with a
            purchase of the game.