Re: [KoDP] New to the group with some possibly dumb questions...

  • Meredith Dixon
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 21, 2012
      I've been playing the game for many years now, and I've never had a
      hero who successfully resumed his/her quest after getting lost. So I
      don't think it's possible.
      --
      Meredith Dixon <dixonm@...>
      And now, New Zealand from Bench to Bench!
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 21, 2012
        Yeah I think the best possible outcome is having the hero walk away with an artifact.

        As for magic, there are a number of factors; can't remember all of them now. Gender balance on the ring, deities represented, treasures and shrines all play some roles.

        --- In KingOfDragonPass@yahoogroups.com, Meredith Dixon <dixonm@...> wrote:

        > I've been playing the game for many years now, and I've never had a
        > hero who successfully resumed his/her quest after getting lost. So I
        > don't think it's possible.
        > --
        > Meredith Dixon <dixonm@...>
        > And now, New Zealand from Bench to Bench!
        > Paperback or non-DRMed Kindle, via Amazon

      • Bryan Thexton
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 21, 2012
          Sacred time magic gained, I'm pretty sure the following matter:
          - having 7 different deities followers on the ring
          - having great temples
          - being in a tribe
          - certain results of tribe formation

          The following might matter, but I never have been sure:
          - population
          - having a clan chief who is a follower of your main god
          - size of clan
          - size of tribe
          - trickster on the ring

          Other useful sources of magic:
          - various events, obviously
          - successful heroquests
          - calling in favours for magic (in particular, if you have a bounty of something else, give generous gifts so people owe you favours, then collect magic when you really need it....it is not a certain thing and burns actions, but it can be one way to make use of a huge surplus of food, for instance)
          - striking against your ancient enemies (select 'kill as many as possible' when the trolls attack, if they are your enemy, fight winter spirits, successfully cattle raid in dark season if winter is your enemy, etc.  You can always use the 'summon enemy' blessing from your ancestors to get your enemy to attack)

          Succeeding in heroquests--the following probably help:
          - David once explicitly said that the season in which you quest does NOT matter (this it the only one I'm positive on)
          - having done another quest in the previous couple of years makes your new quest harder (your advisors will tell you this)
          - Sacrifice to that god (for mysteries or blessing) within the year before the quest
          - a bigger temple is better.
          - appropriate skills (combat for Orlanth and Aroka, leadership for the Tribe making one, etc.) help, and having a higher magic ability pretty much always helps.
          - higher clan magic helps
          - make appropriate sacred time magic assignments....obviously put magic into quests, but also into crops and children if questing to Ernalda, etc.
          - perform appropriate actions in the year before the quest (cattle raid for Orlanth, trade missions for Issaries, etc)
          - peace/war clan may matter for some quests.
          - Sometimes they'll still fall apart on you
          - some quests are generally easier (Ernalda, tribe making), and some are generally harder (Uralda), and some may be a matter of opinion (I struggle with the Humakt quest, some others seem to hate the Elmal quest, etc).
          - because high clan magic helps, mastering an easy quest and 'farming' it for magic every 3-5 years can sometimes be useful (Personally I think the easiest starting config is Worshipping Ernalda as your main god, sacrifice until you know her mysteries, then keep riding that quest to give you lots of food, healthy herds, strong clan chief, and plenty of magic)

          I hope this helps!

          --Bryan

          ________________________________
          Yeah I think the best possible outcome is having the hero walk away with an artifact.

          As for magic, there are a number of factors; can't remember all of them now. Gender balance on the ring, deities represented, treasures and shrines all play some roles.

          --- In KingOfDragonPass@yahoogroups.com, Meredith Dixon <dixonm@...> wrote:

          > I've been playing the game for many years now, and I've never had a
          > hero who successfully resumed his/her quest after getting lost. So I
          > don't think it's possible.
          > --
          > Meredith Dixon <dixonm@...>
          > And now, New Zealand from Bench to Bench!
          > Paperback or non-DRMed Kindle, via Amazon

        • Curtis
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 21, 2012
            Bryan Thexton pretty well nailed this. The only point I'd amplify is that in order to keep your clan magic high you should always behave in accordance with the way your Ancestors did things. If your Ancestors are happy with you, your clan magic won't remain low long. When decision points come, like "What should we do about these dinosaur eggs?", if you decide the way your Ancestors would've you can bank on two points being instantly added to your clan magic, and I've seen it go as high as four or five, though rarely.

            I've never found a 'reliable' source of Spirit Fetches, but usually when you get the chance to buy them you can buy up to five, so make sure you're in a position to take advantage of that opportunity when it comes.

            I think you must be generally scanning over all the hexes along one line of travel between your Tula and the objective hex, since those hexes will 'unghost' and appear on your map as explored. Also, not infrequently I have explorations aborted/interrupted between the Tula and the target hex, though usually that results in no additional hexes being unghosted, so who knows? You are remembering to explore slowly, right?

            There's nothing wrong with approaching the game from a wargaming perspective. In fact, my impression is that working to maximize gains/minimize losses actually helps you to stay in character. (Said alternatively, staying in character helps you to minimax, which is the sign of a good roleplaying game.)

            Note that my responses are based on the final Mac version of the game, not the iOS version.

            --- In KingOfDragonPass@yahoogroups.com, "dalek_no3" <dalek_no3@...> wrote:

            > * What determines the amount of Clan Magic I receive during Sacred Time? Is there some reliable method of increasing this amount? I *think* I get some extra magic from having a Trickster on my Ring, and some more from having each of the Seven deities represented on my Ring, but I can't tell what the specifics are, or what other persistent variables might be contributing. (I am also aware of receiving Magic from random encounters and successful Heroquests, but that's not annually renewed)
            >
            > * Is there a reliable source of Spirit Fetch treasures?
            >
            > * I've noticed that the map is a hex-grid map. When I explore a target area, am I specifically exploring one hex-grid space, or every space between my Tula and the target space?
          • Zachary Kline
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 21, 2012
              Hi,
              I'll just add that spirit fetches are available when you trade for treasures, in many cases. You may get a unique item, or you may get a fetch. There is no real way to predict this as far as I know, but it does happen.
              Hope this helps,
              Zack.

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 21, 2012
                On exploration, I think (not positive) that the fast/normal/slow exploration speed affects how wide a swath of map is uncovered (slow showing the most, as well as being the safest--basically send your crew on slow unless you have some need to rush, like to get it done before year end)

              • Curtis
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 21, 2012
                  My experience corroborates this. In addition, I believe that slow exploration increases your chance of finding something, especially when you're exploring your own Tula. According to one piece of advice I read it also reduces the chance of your explorer simply vanishing without notice, but I can't back that up anecdotally. My experience is that lost explorers are the single greatest cause of lost characters in the game, ans I always explore slowly.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 21, 2012
                    I suggest getting pathfinder as soon as possible. Vinga is patroness of explorers and adventurers, and helps keep them alive. I personally never adjust exploration speed, and usually have good success.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 22, 2012
                      Good to see the list isn't dead — Yahoo seems to have made a number of changes for the worse.

                      Ring composition is the most variable factor for determining annual clan magic (for example, you really want to have 7 members). Certain treasures can impact it as well. As always, check your advisors (I know this got expanded in November for the iOS version).

                      Heroquests are inherently uncertain (which, because they are on the Other Side, means they are risky). When I drove home from the store today, I knew exactly how to get in the special left turn lane, which had a green arrow. Except the street was blocked! Unlucky roll, I guess.

                      There are various ways to reduce the risk, usually spelled out in the manual. You may note that season is not mentioned in the manual.

                      > * I've noticed that the map is a hex-grid map. When I explore a target area, am I specifically exploring one hex-grid space, or every space between my Tula and the target space?

                      You'll be focusing your effort on the spot you choose (such as Kero Fin). But naturally you have to pass through other spots on the way there.

                      And speaking of the manual, “Slow missions are even safer.”

                      > I realize I may be trying to apply a strategy-game mentality to a game which primarily encourages a "no best answer" attitude, so I apologize if I'm missing the point of the game.

                      Heroquests often do have a best answer, which is to match the myth exactly. (Hints can remind you of this.) What you won't find are guaranteed results, and you'll be trading off various consequences (do I keep the cows or piss off my neighboring clan?).

                      > Note that my responses are based on the final Mac version of the game, not the iOS version.

                      You're not going to find substantive changes in game play. Mostly tweaks and new content.

                      Speaking of iOS, Apple has flagged King of Dragon Pass as “What’s Hot’ in iPad strategy games and role playing games! However, we recently put out an update, which hides reviews and ratings. So if you get the chance, please rate the new build.

                      David Dunham http://a-sharp.com Twitter: @KingDragonPass