Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

To dig up an old question.....any chance of an Android port?

Expand Messages
  • bethexton
    I don t know if all the effort put in to bring the game to the i universe was worth it to those involved. But now that the scrapes and bruises of that
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 4, 2012
    • 0 Attachment
      I don't know if all the effort put in to bring the game to the "i" universe was worth it to those involved. But now that the scrapes and bruises of that process have had some time to heal....any ambition towards brining it to Android? I do seem to recall that more android devices are being sold now that Apple ones, net--albeit with less cohesiveness on operating system versions, so perhaps it is more challenging to implement there?

      Anyway, I suspect that the answer is 'no,' but having finally joined the twenty-first century by getting my first smart phone--and android device--I can't resist dreaming that sometime in the next three years that I'm chained to it, I'd have the chance to play my all time favourite game on it (especially as I lost my CD of the original game, and am anyway on the verge of trashing our last windows XP machine, and my understanding is that the game doesn't run on windows 7).
    • James Sterrett
      ... It just went on sale via GOG.com, which claims to make things compatible with 7. I haven t tried it yet, though. -- James Sterrett
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 4, 2012
      • 0 Attachment
        > of trashing our last windows XP machine, and my understanding is that the
        > game doesn't run on windows 7).

        It just went on sale via GOG.com, which claims to make things
        compatible with 7. I haven't tried it yet, though.

        --
        James Sterrett
        james.sterrett@...
      • Ray Mulford
        I d recommend that Noodlecake may be the most painless way to get a game from iOS to Android. http://www.noodlecake.com/publishing/ Our tech allows your iOS
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 4, 2012
        • 0 Attachment
          I'd recommend that Noodlecake may be the most painless way to get a game
          from iOS to Android.

          http://www.noodlecake.com/publishing/

          "Our tech allows your iOS specific code to run on android. Maintaining
          separate code bases is a hassle. Keeping your apps updated is just easier
          with a single code base."

          I'm not affiliated with them in any way. I just want to play KoDP on my
          Android tablet!

          On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 10:01 AM, bethexton <bethexton@...> wrote:

          > **
          >
          >
          > I don't know if all the effort put in to bring the game to the "i"
          > universe was worth it to those involved. But now that the scrapes and
          > bruises of that process have had some time to heal....any ambition towards
          > brining it to Android? I do seem to recall that more android devices are
          > being sold now that Apple ones, net--albeit with less cohesiveness on
          > operating system versions, so perhaps it is more challenging to implement
          > there?
          >
          > Anyway, I suspect that the answer is 'no,' but having finally joined the
          > twenty-first century by getting my first smart phone--and android device--I
          > can't resist dreaming that sometime in the next three years that I'm
          > chained to it, I'd have the chance to play my all time favourite game on it
          > (especially as I lost my CD of the original game, and am anyway on the
          > verge of trashing our last windows XP machine, and my understanding is that
          > the game doesn't run on windows 7).
          >
          >
          >


          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        • Bryan Thexton
          Thanks, James--I ll definitely try downloading it from there, for my Windows 7 machines.   I d still love a version for Android though :)  I have a 20 minute
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 4, 2012
          • 0 Attachment
            Thanks, James--I'll definitely try downloading it from there, for my Windows 7 machines.  

            I'd still love a version for Android though :)  I have a 20 minute walk each way to/from work each day.....imagine how much KoDP I could fit in!

            --Bryan


            ________________________________
            From: James Sterrett <James.Sterrett@...>
            To: KingOfDragonPass@yahoogroups.com
            Sent: Tuesday, September 4, 11:19:30 AM
            Subject: Re: [KoDP] To dig up an old question.....any chance of an Android port?


             
            > of trashing our last windows XP machine, and my understanding is that the
            > game doesn't run on windows 7).

            It just went on sale via GOG.com, which claims to make things
            compatible with 7. I haven't tried it yet, though.

            --
            James Sterrett
            james.sterrett@...



            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • James Sterrett
            Oh, I quite agree I d like to have it on my Android as well. :) ... -- James Sterrett james.sterrett@gmail.com [Non-text portions of this message have been
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 4, 2012
            • 0 Attachment
              Oh, I quite agree I'd like to have it on my Android as well. :)

              On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Bryan Thexton <bethexton@...> wrote:

              > **
              >
              >
              > Thanks, James--I'll definitely try downloading it from there, for my
              > Windows 7 machines.
              >
              > I'd still love a version for Android though :) I have a 20 minute walk
              > each way to/from work each day.....imagine how much KoDP I could fit in!
              >
              > --Bryan
              >
              > ________________________________
              > From: James Sterrett <James.Sterrett@...>
              > To: KingOfDragonPass@yahoogroups.com
              > Sent: Tuesday, September 4, 11:19:30 AM
              > Subject: Re: [KoDP] To dig up an old question.....any chance of an Android
              > port?
              >
              >
              >
              >
              > > of trashing our last windows XP machine, and my understanding is that the
              > > game doesn't run on windows 7).
              >
              > It just went on sale via GOG.com, which claims to make things
              > compatible with 7. I haven't tried it yet, though.
              >
              > --
              > James Sterrett
              > james.sterrett@...
              >
              > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              >
              >
              >



              --
              James Sterrett
              james.sterrett@...


              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            • Kaj Sotala
              ... The GOG version works perfectly on my Windows 7, at least. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 4, 2012
              • 0 Attachment
                On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 6:19 PM, James Sterrett <James.Sterrett@...>wrote:

                > **
                >
                >
                > > of trashing our last windows XP machine, and my understanding is that the
                > > game doesn't run on windows 7).
                >
                > It just went on sale via GOG.com, which claims to make things
                > compatible with 7. I haven't tried it yet, though.
                >

                The GOG version works perfectly on my Windows 7, at least.


                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              • James Sterrett
                ... Tried it this evening and it worked perfectly on 7 for me, as well (and it hooked my 6 year old son, as well. :D ) -- James Sterrett
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 4, 2012
                • 0 Attachment
                  >
                  > > It just went on sale via GOG.com, which claims to make things
                  > > compatible with 7. I haven't tried it yet, though.
                  > >
                  >
                  > The GOG version works perfectly on my Windows 7, at least.
                  >

                  Tried it this evening and it worked perfectly on 7 for me, as well (and it
                  hooked my 6 year old son, as well. :D )

                  --
                  James Sterrett
                  james.sterrett@...


                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                • Baron Greystone
                  Another Android user here!
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Another Android user here!
                  • David Dunham
                    ... Well, we paid the artists... A Sharp has no ambition to work on the Android platform. We would happily license the game to someone who would like to. As
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
                    • 0 Attachment
                      > I don't know if all the effort put in to bring the game to the "i" universe was worth it to those involved. But now that the scrapes and bruises of that process have had some time to heal....any ambition towards brining it to Android?

                      Well, we paid the artists...

                      A Sharp has no ambition to work on the Android platform. We would happily license the game to someone who would like to.

                      As for Noodlecake, I never heard back from them.

                      As for Windows 7, it depends. Worked for me, but it fails for others. Based on some of the comments in the GOG forums, it is actually 3rd party stuff that is incompatible with it. But who knows? I know they patched it, so it is probably more reliable.

                      > I have a 20 minute walk each way to/from work each day.....imagine how much KoDP I could fit in!

                      None, it's too engrossing. I recommend it only on public transit, where you won't accidentally walk into a utility pole.

                      IMO, the new iPad is absolutely the best platform for the game — comfortable layout with super crisp text. And there's no contract, so you could change your mind in less than 3 years.

                      David Dunham http://a-sharp.com Twitter: @KingDragonPass
                    • Joe Casadonte
                      ... I played the new Universal build on my iPad 2 today -- love it! The layout is fantastic, a complete change from the iPhone version, which I felt was
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
                      • 0 Attachment
                        On 2012-09-05 9:08 PM, David Dunham wrote:
                        > IMO, the new iPad is absolutely the best platform for the game — comfortable layout with super crisp text.
                        I played the new Universal build on my iPad 2 today -- love it! The
                        layout is fantastic, a complete change from the iPhone version, which I
                        felt was somewhat cramped. Thanks, David, and kudos!

                        --
                        Regards,


                        joe
                        Joe Casadonte
                        jcasadonte@...
                      • James Sterrett
                        ... Not being part of the Appleverse, I m curious what you mean about a 3 year contract? -- James Sterrett james.sterrett@gmail.com
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 6, 2012
                        • 0 Attachment
                          > IMO, the new iPad is absolutely the best platform for the game — comfortable layout with super crisp text. And there's no contract, so you could change your mind in less than 3 years.

                          Not being part of the Appleverse, I'm curious what you mean about a 3
                          year contract?

                          --
                          James Sterrett
                          james.sterrett@...
                        • Bryan Thexton
                          I d mentioned in one of my posts about how I d be using my new phone for the next three years.  Typical smart phone deals are that you pay less than the cost
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 6, 2012
                          • 0 Attachment
                            I'd mentioned in one of my posts about how I'd be using my new phone for the next three years.  Typical smart phone deals are that you pay less than the cost of the phone, but sign up to a three year contract.  If you cancel before the three years are up, you pay back the (usually pro-rated) difference in the price of the phone.  Given that the carriers can buy the phones for much less than they sell at retail, it is a cheap and easy way for them to keep customers locked in.

                            If you buy an ipad, it will typically not be under a plan, so you can change whenever you want.  Of course, if you buy a smart phone outright, with the subsidy baked into the plan, the same applies.  You just need to have the cash on hand.


                            ________________________________
                            From: James Sterrett <James.Sterrett@...>
                            To: KingOfDragonPass@yahoogroups.com
                            Sent: Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:24:03 AM
                            Subject: Re: [KoDP] Re: To dig up an old question.....any chance of an Android port?


                             
                            > IMO, the new iPad is absolutely the best platform for the game — comfortable layout with super crisp text. And there's no contract, so you could change your mind in less than 3 years.

                            Not being part of the Appleverse, I'm curious what you mean about a 3
                            year contract?

                            --
                            James Sterrett
                            james.sterrett@...



                            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                          • James Sterrett
                            Thanks! I d missed the earlier part, and being used to dealing with 2-year contracts on phones, the 3-year threw me. ... -- James Sterrett
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 6, 2012
                            • 0 Attachment
                              Thanks! I'd missed the earlier part, and being used to dealing with 2-year
                              contracts on phones, the 3-year threw me.

                              On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 7:40 AM, Bryan Thexton <bethexton@...> wrote:

                              > **
                              >
                              >
                              > I'd mentioned in one of my posts about how I'd be using my new phone for
                              > the next three years. Typical smart phone deals are that you pay less than
                              > the cost of the phone, but sign up to a three year contract. If you cancel
                              > before the three years are up, you pay back the (usually pro-rated)
                              > difference in the price of the phone. Given that the carriers can buy the
                              > phones for much less than they sell at retail, it is a cheap and easy way
                              > for them to keep customers locked in.
                              >
                              > If you buy an ipad, it will typically not be under a plan, so you can
                              > change whenever you want. Of course, if you buy a smart phone outright,
                              > with the subsidy baked into the plan, the same applies. You just need to
                              > have the cash on hand.
                              >
                              >
                              > ________________________________
                              > From: James Sterrett <James.Sterrett@...>
                              > To: KingOfDragonPass@yahoogroups.com
                              > Sent: Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:24:03 AM
                              > Subject: Re: [KoDP] Re: To dig up an old question.....any chance of an
                              > Android port?
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              > > IMO, the new iPad is absolutely the best platform for the game —
                              > comfortable layout with super crisp text. And there's no contract, so you
                              > could change your mind in less than 3 years.
                              >
                              > Not being part of the Appleverse, I'm curious what you mean about a 3
                              > year contract?
                              >
                              > --
                              > James Sterrett
                              > james.sterrett@...
                              >
                              > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                              >
                              >
                              >



                              --
                              James Sterrett
                              james.sterrett@...


                              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                            • Bryan Thexton
                              Different countries, different traditions, I guess. Either way, 2 years or 3, it doesn t sound like an Android port is coming. ________________________________
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 6, 2012
                              • 0 Attachment
                                Different countries, different traditions, I guess.

                                Either way, 2 years or 3, it doesn't sound like an Android port is coming.


                                ________________________________
                                From: James Sterrett <James.Sterrett@...>


                                 
                                Thanks! I'd missed the earlier part, and being used to dealing with 2-year
                                contracts on phones, the 3-year threw me.

                                On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 7:40 AM, Bryan Thexton <bethexton@...> wrote:

                                > **
                                >


                                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                              • James Casey
                                From a purely financial perspective, it seems like a good idea. Given that the marketplaces are a similar size (and the velocity being towards Android), you
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 7, 2012
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  From a purely financial perspective, it seems like a good idea. Given that
                                  the marketplaces are a similar size (and the velocity being towards
                                  Android), you should be able to roughly estimate the income you would get.
                                  If the cost of development is clearly less than that, then it seems like a
                                  good idea.

                                  Given that the port from the original to iOS made sense, I would have
                                  thought the port to Android would be easier, given that things like
                                  adapting the interface to a smaller screen have already been worked
                                  out. Maybe I am underestimating the difficulties of e.g. hardware
                                  fragmentation on Android?

                                  Even if you have no interest in doing it yourselves, is it something that
                                  could be outsourced?

                                  I hope its something you might consider in the future.

                                  James


                                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                                • Kaj Sotala
                                  ... They ve mentioned being open to licensing it to someone else, but haven t found any takers so far:
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 7, 2012
                                  • 0 Attachment
                                    On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 1:48 PM, James Casey <waferthinninja@...> wrote:
                                    > Even if you have no interest in doing it yourselves, is it something that
                                    > could be outsourced?

                                    They've mentioned being open to licensing it to someone else, but
                                    haven't found any takers so far:

                                    http://kingofdragonpass.blogspot.com/2011/10/android-thoughts.html

                                    "A Sharp has no expertise in Android development. In theory, we could
                                    get someone else to do it. However, they would no doubt want to be
                                    paid. (Coding 40 screens is a lot of work, if I haven’t mentioned
                                    that.) Since King of Dragon Pass is a proven product with a good
                                    reputation, it might make sense for someone to do this for royalties.
                                    However, the studio we talked to mentioned that Android users are
                                    notorious for not being willing to pay for anything. (They do both iOS
                                    and Android.) So given the scope of the project, they were not
                                    interested."

                                    "The alternative is to pay someone prior to release (and thus take on
                                    the risk of Android users living up to their notoriety). If King of
                                    Dragon Pass had become a smash hit, the risk would be less, and there
                                    would be more money to pay for the development. Unfortunately, King of
                                    Dragon Pass is probably among the top 25% of games by revenue, but it
                                    is not a smash hit."
                                  • Kenrae
                                    ... I am a devolper of, amongst other platforms, iOS, Android and Windows Phone games (and other kind of software), so I can shed some light here. Sorry but...
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 7, 2012
                                    • 0 Attachment
                                      > 1a. Re: To dig up an old question.....any chance of an Android port?
                                      > Posted by: "James Casey" waferthinninja@... waferthinninja
                                      >
                                      > From a purely financial perspective, it seems like a good idea. Given that
                                      > the marketplaces are a similar size (and the velocity being towards
                                      > Android), you should be able to roughly estimate the income you would get.
                                      > If the cost of development is clearly less than that, then it seems like a
                                      > good idea.

                                      I am a devolper of, amongst other platforms, iOS, Android and Windows
                                      Phone games (and other kind of software), so I can shed some light
                                      here.
                                      Sorry but... no way. The same application on iOS sells a ton more than
                                      on Android. The marketplaces are of a similar size but the figures
                                      aren't.

                                      > Given that the port from the original to iOS made sense, I would have
                                      > thought the port to Android would be easier, given that things like
                                      > adapting the interface to a smaller screen have already been worked
                                      > out. Maybe I am underestimating the difficulties of e.g. hardware
                                      > fragmentation on Android?

                                      Yes, you are ;).

                                      When I code something for the iPhone I need to test it in three or
                                      four different devices. On Android I need to test it in ten and even
                                      then there are more variations I leave behind.

                                      I'd love for it to be on Windows Phone but I know that's plain impossible :P.

                                      Cheers,
                                      -Sergi
                                    • David Dunham
                                      ... Yeah, but the testing part is easy: all zero devices that have significant sales. :- More seriously, you could license the Windows Phone version along
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Sep 8, 2012
                                      • 0 Attachment
                                        Sergi:

                                        > I'd love for it to be on Windows Phone but I know that's plain impossible :P.

                                        Yeah, but the testing part is easy: all zero devices that have significant sales. :-\

                                        More seriously, you could license the Windows Phone version along with the Android version…

                                        David Dunham http://a-sharp.com Twitter: @KingDragonPass
                                      • James Casey
                                        I think the whole Android users won t pay for apps thing is a myth that is no longer true. At least not *wholly* true, and in particular doesn t apply to
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Sep 10, 2012
                                        • 0 Attachment
                                          I think the whole "Android users won't pay for apps" thing is a myth that
                                          is no longer true. At least not *wholly* true, and in particular doesn't
                                          apply to KoDP. There is anecdotal evidence both supporting and
                                          contradicting the myth, but I don't think any of it necessarily applies to
                                          KoDP, a quality product with no direct competitor. Not sure this group is
                                          the place to discuss it though, I can see it heading off topic very quickly.

                                          It strikes me that the project has "Kickstarter" written all over it. You
                                          could set a generous pledge target such that you can't lose. If you don't
                                          reach the target, you just don't go ahead. If you do, you've basically got
                                          a bunch of preorders each of whom has happily paid at least the iPhone app
                                          price, and you can still carry on selling it afterwards. If you threw in
                                          "stretch goals" to add new content to both versions, you might even get
                                          Apple users supporting the project.

                                          I don't think I would personally outsource a Kickstarter project though, so
                                          this is really just if you need some level of guaranteed return in order to
                                          take on the work yourselves.

                                          I realise I am probably just wishing out loud though; there is obviously
                                          still a lot of effort involved, and if David et al would rather be working
                                          on something else then its not going to happen even if the numbers work
                                          out.

                                          While we are wishing out loud.... I'm sure we'd all shut up about Android
                                          if you Kickstarter KoDP2 on any platform. Hell I'd even buy an iPad for
                                          that ;)

                                          Cheers
                                          James


                                          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                                        • Michael Akinde
                                          Hi, Android still isn t close to as profitable for most apps as IOS is, and I very much doubt that KODP would be the exception that proves the rule. That
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Sep 15, 2012
                                          • 0 Attachment
                                            Hi,

                                            Android still isn't close to as "profitable" for most apps as IOS is,
                                            and I very much doubt that KODP would be the exception that proves the
                                            rule. That being said, it is entirely possible to create a profitable
                                            app on Android, if one targets the app specifically at the users in the
                                            Android marketspace (instead of porting from IOS and expecting Google
                                            Play to be the same as the App store).

                                            Android and Kickstarter don't work well together at the moment, for the
                                            simple reason that it is not currently possible for a
                                            developer/publisher to gift copies of their Android game on Google Play
                                            to users. Of course, the developer can make a download of the apk
                                            available, but that leaves the users stuck without updates and bug fixes
                                            (except as continually made available for download by the developer).
                                            The latter is not the kind of solution one really wants for a couple of
                                            thousand users.

                                            Regards,

                                            Michael A.

                                            On 10.09.2012 15:49, James Casey wrote:
                                            > I think the whole "Android users won't pay for apps" thing is a myth that
                                            > is no longer true. At least not *wholly* true, and in particular doesn't
                                            > apply to KoDP. There is anecdotal evidence both supporting and
                                            > contradicting the myth, but I don't think any of it necessarily applies to
                                            > KoDP, a quality product with no direct competitor. Not sure this group is
                                            > the place to discuss it though, I can see it heading off topic very quickly.
                                            >
                                            > It strikes me that the project has "Kickstarter" written all over it. You
                                            > could set a generous pledge target such that you can't lose. If you don't
                                            > reach the target, you just don't go ahead. If you do, you've basically got
                                            > a bunch of preorders each of whom has happily paid at least the iPhone app
                                            > price, and you can still carry on selling it afterwards. If you threw in
                                            > "stretch goals" to add new content to both versions, you might even get
                                            > Apple users supporting the project.
                                            >
                                            > I don't think I would personally outsource a Kickstarter project though, so
                                            > this is really just if you need some level of guaranteed return in order to
                                            > take on the work yourselves.
                                            >
                                            > I realise I am probably just wishing out loud though; there is obviously
                                            > still a lot of effort involved, and if David et al would rather be working
                                            > on something else then its not going to happen even if the numbers work
                                            > out.
                                            >
                                            > While we are wishing out loud.... I'm sure we'd all shut up about Android
                                            > if you Kickstarter KoDP2 on any platform. Hell I'd even buy an iPad for
                                            > that ;)
                                            >
                                            > Cheers
                                            > James
                                            >
                                            >
                                            > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                                            >
                                            >
                                            >
                                            > ------------------------------------
                                            >
                                            > Community e-mail addresses:
                                            > Post message: KingOfDragonPass@onelist.com
                                            > Subscribe: KingOfDragonPass-subscribe@onelist.com
                                            > Unsubscribe: KingOfDragonPass-unsubscribe@onelist.com
                                            > List/archive URL:
                                            > http://www.onelist.com/community/KingOfDragonPassYahoo! Groups Links
                                            >
                                            >
                                            >
                                            >
                                          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.