Re: [KoDP] Installing KoDP in Windows 7

  • outis02
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 6, 2010
      Could you provide more detail on how you did it?

      By "run off the HD", do you mean the old "copy files to HD and rename the partition KoDP" trick?

      I've got a Win7 x64, too, but KoDP refuses to run. The CD installer gives the 105 error, so I simply copied the whole KoDP from the installation of an old XP machine. Still, KoDP simply doesn't work. When I run KoDP.exe, I can see the process starting in the task processes (in the task manager), but within a second it will dissappear again. No error messages, no nothing.

      I've tried the above in and out of Vista and XP compatibility mode.

      -o

      --- In KingOfDragonPass@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Wang <sw30@...> wrote:

      > Just played it over the past few weeks. I think the installer was not particularly happy, but I copied everything to a directory, applied the 1.7 patch, copied the 2 mxx to the root of that drive, and renamed that drive, the executable works just fine.
      >
      > I normally run off of the HD, not the CD, so I haven't tried the old fashioned way. But since the copy protection worked just fine, I don't see much problems with it.
      >
      > this is all on Windows 7 64 bit.
      >
      > Jeff Wang
      > sw30@...
      >

      > To: KingOfDragonPass@yahoogroups.com
      > From: david@...
      > Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 05:42:50 +0000
      > Subject: Re: [KoDP] Installing KoDP in Windows 7

      > Has anyone had success installing it in Windows 7?

    • Guy Hoyle
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 6, 2010
        I really didn't do anything much; I put the CD in the CD drive and choose
        "Autoplay". The KoDP title screen comes up almost immediately, and I just
        click the first button, "Play from CD". I can't get it to install, so I just
        play it that way.

        Guy

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 7, 2010
          > I've got a Win7 x64, too, but KoDP refuses to run. The CD installer gives the 105 error, so I simply copied the whole KoDP from the installation of an old XP machine. Still, KoDP simply doesn't work. When I run KoDP.exe, I can see the process starting in the task processes (in the task manager), but within a second it will dissappear again. No error messages, no nothing.

          Hmm, I used the 32-bit version of Win 7. Maybe that's why it worked. (People I know had so much trouble with Vista 64 I didn't want to go that route.)

          A stopgap way to launch is to run Mtplay95.exe and then open opal.mfx.

          > I've tried the above in and out of Vista and XP compatibility mode.

          Why those? KoDP came out when Win95 was current…

          David Dunham http://a-sharp.com Twitter: @ASharpLLC
        • Guy Hoyle
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 7, 2010
            It works for me in windows 7 64-bit on a Dell Inspiron 1525.

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 7, 2010
              Yeah, I tried Win95 and 98 compatibility modes, too. Didn't make a difference, though. I wonder if there wasn't something else that I'm missing, since I didn't get any error message whatsoever...