King of Dragon Pass in CIV?

  • John Machin
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 14, 2008
      Hi all,

      I had a quite go at one of the fan-created scenarios in Beyond the Sword
      recently (the fantasy-themed icy one) and it struck in many ways as a fairly
      simple Gloranth-ish sort of story, which in turn got me thinking that
      perhaps Civilisation IV (CIV) might be a good tool for Gloranthan computer
      gaming. Apparently CIV is quite moddable, thanks to the way it has been
      designed, and there is very little that is impossible to be tweaked by
      users.

      Has anyone had a go, or know of anyone who has had a go, at this yet?

      --
      John Machin

    • Edward Bornstein
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 14, 2008
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I had a quite go at one of the fan-created scenarios in Beyond the Sword
        > recently (the fantasy-themed icy one) and it struck in many ways as a
        > fairly
        > simple Gloranth-ish sort of story, which in turn got me thinking that
        > perhaps Civilisation IV (CIV) might be a good tool for Gloranthan computer
        > gaming. Apparently CIV is quite moddable, thanks to the way it has been
        > designed, and there is very little that is impossible to be tweaked by
        > users.
        >
        > Has anyone had a go, or know of anyone who has had a go, at this yet?

        I recall once seeing a Dragon Pass map or scenario for Civ 2.

        I fiddled with a Tekumel mod, but never got real far.

        Regarding Civ IV, no idea.
      • uplink
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 15, 2008
          The problem with modding the Civ games is, no matter how many graphics
          alterations or advancement alterations you make, it still plays like Civ:
          you start with one city, grow into a larger nation, acquiring scientific
          advancements that let you grow more powerful along the way.

          Nothing like KODP, where you're relegated to one village (at least for a
          very long time).

          Building a Glorantha-based mod would be fairly easy... there's a map editor
          included... but again, it plays like a Civ game. If you're still interested
          in something like that, I suggest the Rhys and Fall mod, which is based
          around the Bronze Age of our own history, and is downloadable from several
          sources (or, if you get the Civ 4: Beyond The Sword expansion, is included
          on the install.)
        • Kaj Sotala
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 15, 2008
            On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 1:55 PM, uplink <uplink989@...> wrote:
            > The problem with modding the Civ games is, no matter how many graphics
            > alterations or advancement alterations you make, it still plays like Civ:
            > you start with one city, grow into a larger nation, acquiring scientific
            > advancements that let you grow more powerful along the way.
            >
            > Nothing like KODP, where you're relegated to one village (at least for a
            > very long time).

            That part's among the easiest to change. Even unmodded Civ 4 has one
            city challenge as a default game mode, and the tech tree can be
            adjusted or disabled entirely. Of course, then you'll have to come up
            with new content to replace it, but in principle I don't see anything
            in the original KoDP game that you couldn't carry out with the Civ 4
            engine.
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 15, 2008
              > > Nothing like KODP, where you're relegated to one village (at least for a
              >> very long time).
              >
              >That part's among the easiest to change. Even unmodded Civ 4 has one
              >city challenge as a default game mode, and the tech tree can be
              >adjusted or disabled entirely. Of course, then you'll have to come up
              >with new content to replace it, but in principle I don't see anything
              >in the original KoDP game that you couldn't carry out with the Civ 4
              >engine.

              It has interactive stories now?
              --

              David Dunham A Sharp, LLC
              Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404 http://a-sharp.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 15, 2008
                2008/12/16 David Dunham david@...

                > It has interactive stories now?

                That's probably pushing it's capabilities, but I'm sure that someone could
                bash it into shape to provide such things. I find that a lot of the time the
                people making the interesting mods for these sorts of games are driven by
                the technical challenge, rather than storytelling.

                I don't think there is a specific impediment to executing interactive
                stories with CIV if someone was really inclined to. Personally I'd settle
                for "Kerofinela themed tribal shenanigans" and be happy with it - at least
                until the next beautiful and visionary interactive Gloranthan storytelling
                game comes out.

                --
                John Machin

              • Kaj Sotala
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 15, 2008
                  On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 4:38 AM, David Dunham <david@...> wrote:
                  >>That part's among the easiest to change. Even unmodded Civ 4 has one
                  >>city challenge as a default game mode, and the tech tree can be
                  >>adjusted or disabled entirely. Of course, then you'll have to come up
                  >>with new content to replace it, but in principle I don't see anything
                  >>in the original KoDP game that you couldn't carry out with the Civ 4
                  >>engine.
                  >
                  > It has interactive stories now?

                  Depends on how you define 'interactive stories' - technically every
                  video or computer game ever made can be considered an interactive
                  story. ;-)

                  But it does have an event system which can be used to implement things
                  similar to the stories in KoDP, even if that's currently somewhat
                  buggy when it comes to long event chains. For a fantasy mod, I
                  proposed (and apparently had implemented, though I'm not sure what
                  changes the mod team made) an event chain that was inspired by that
                  endless feud in KoDP that keeps popping up over and over:
                  http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6202603&postcount=45 .