Something we might want to track...

  • Henk Langeveld
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
      This looks promising.

      Tilted Mill is the company of Chris Beatrice and friends. They've
      recently reacquired the rights to their creation 'Children of the Nile'.

      Today they announced 'Hinterland', a combination of town building and
      RPG, wich in my opinion should appeal to most people on this list.

      The first thing I thought was - could this game engine be used for
      a KoDP2?

      I quote two paragraphs from today's announcement. The idea of letting
      your character go on an adventure for the benefit of their community
      sounds very gratifying.

      I've got no idea if they will deliver what I hope they will, but I like
      the tone of this announcement.

      http://www.tiltedmill.com/hinterland/

      [...]

      Hinterland gives depth and context to the RPG experience, by allowing
      you to do something more meaningful with the spoils from your RPG
      adventures. Rather than just re-invest in yourself, you build something
      much bigger than yourself, that 'other character' - your village and its
      people. Thus the city building feeling of ownership becomes intertwined
      with your RPG character while at the same time creating a more seamless
      or consistent world, something that is always a goal of ours when making
      a game.

      [...]

      Over the years of working together we also realized that we all feel
      that many of our favorite moments in games are starting new characters,
      or setting out in a fresh unknown land, and Hinterland focuses on this
      by keeping the scale of items, resources and characters very intimate...
      almost humble. A strong farmer could be an invaluable asset in early
      combat encounters, but losing him could be disastrous when it comes time
      to feed your people. In fact, to ensure that this experience is as fun
      as possible, when you have started to peak out, you win and are
      encouraged to play again! To support this we ensure you can't exploit
      load and saving, the games are fairly short (under 6 hours) but very,
      very random in terms of replayabilty.

      Cheers,
      Henk
    • David Harper
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 12, 2008
        Recently there's been a fair bit of buzz over the September 2008 launch of "Good Old Games", a site that allows people
        to buy and download old gaming titles that have passed the test of time - games like Fallout, Freespace 2 and Sacrifice,
        games that came out in the 90s but are still remembered fondly today. You pay between $5.99 and $9.99 USD for the right
        to download and play the game.

        ...It strikes me that Kings of Dragon Pass would be an ideal addition to their library, and this could be a great
        opportunity to add a new generation of players to the KoDP community and help David and company earn a bit more from
        this grand old title. :)

        The web site is here: http://www.gog.com/en/intro

        A quote from the website that relates to selling them new games: "I'm a publisher and I want you to sell my rusty, old
        games, what shall I do?"

        "Hmmm, I hope you’ve figured out that GOG.com stands for GOOD old games. If yes, then feel free to drop us a line at
        contact@... and we'll figure something out together."

        -David
      • Mitch Mills
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 12, 2008
          I believe there's a technical problem with creating a downloadable version of KODP, which is why, despite plans to do so, it never went on sale at Manifesto Games. I don't remember the details though.

          To: KingOfDragonPass@yahoogroups.comFrom: dharper@...: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 16:14:32 -0400Subject: [KoDP] Good Old Games

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 12, 2008
            >I believe there's a technical problem with creating a downloadable version of KODP, which is why, despite plans to do so, it never went on sale at Manifesto Games. I don't remember the details though.

            What a pity!
          • Kaj Sotala
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 14, 2008
              On 7/13/08, Mitch Mills <mitchmills@...> wrote:
              > I believe there's a technical problem with creating a downloadable version of KODP, which is why, despite plans to do so, it never went on sale at Manifesto Games. I don't remember the details though.

              Couldn't one just make an image of the KoDP CD and put that up for download?

              --
              http://www.xuenay.net/ | http://xuenay.livejournal.com/

              Organizations worth your time:
              http://www.singinst.org/ | http://www.crnano.org/ | http://www.mfoundation.org/
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 14, 2008
                >Couldn't one just make an image of the KoDP CD and put that up for download?

                No.

                Really, if it were that simple, we would have done it.
                --

                David Dunham A Sharp, LLC
                Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404 http://a-sharp.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 30, 2008
                  I picked up Hinterland from Steam today. It's a fun game, but
                  with not much depth (at least compared to kodp). I just played
                  my first two games and although the first one did not last longer
                  than fifteen minutes due to lack of food, my second game took
                  quite a bit longer.

                  In the game you control one character, as in an RPG. You start
                  with a town hall, and three visitors, who may have various skills.
                  Visitors stay around for a number of days, and if your town hits
                  their fancy, you can build a house for them after which they will
                  become followers and set up shop in your town.

                  Your objective is to scout the area around your town and
                  eliminate any enemies. It's the typical RPG - kill monsters,
                  take their stuff. The fun thing is the variety of goods you
                  can find. You don't get to keep everything yourself, but you
                  can distribute the goods among your followers, providing them
                  with upgrades. Beware though, as goods decay or just plainly
                  used up - a cattle herder can get improved production through
                  Oats, but only for a while...

                  This might be turned into a Gloranthan game by adding magical
                  treasures, monsters, and the like. Don't know if the game
                  would make that possible. Right now, the monsters are quite
                  generic fantasy tropes - dwarfs, dark elves, evil wizards, etc...

                  What I had hoped for was the possibility to fight with/raid
                  other towns, but that's maybe too much to ask for...

                  Cheers,

                  Henk