Mac( Intel ) OS X

  • hathegkla
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2008
      Hi there. I was an avid fan of this game when it came out but this is
      my first time posting to this group. Since then I've ditched Windows
      in favour of an (Intel-based) Mac.

      I found this group while searching for way to get the game working
      under Intel OS X. The problem is there's no Classic mode since that
      is based on the PPC architecture Macs. My solution appeared to be to
      use Wine (or Darwine) to emulate the Win32 API calls used in the game
      and thereby run the Windows version!

      I've managed to get over quite a few hurdles already (for example, I
      had to copy the CD contents onto my Windows-formatted iPod to prevent
      OS X from treating the KoDP CD as if it was a Mac-format disc!).

      All went well until I tried to run it. I get the first screen but it
      keeps claiming the CD isn't in the CDROM drive, even though it is.
      You might say well surely this is something you have to configure in
      Wine and I would say yes, your're right! But as far as I can see it
      IS set up to recognise it; I can actually install the Windows version
      on my Mac (pretty cool in itself) but I can't actually play it.

      It's so frustrating and I just want to play! I know it's a bit of a
      long shot but can anyone offer any advice or help?

      Thanks,
      Ben
    • Pere Cortada Bonjoch
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2008
        I suggest you to use a virtual machine (virtualbox is free and fairly
        good) and install and old windows system line Win98. It will resolve
        all compatibility problems.

        Pere

        On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 5:04 PM, hathegkla <benito.m@...> wrote:

        > Hi there. I was an avid fan of this game when it came out but this is
        > my first time posting to this group. Since then I've ditched Windows
        > in favour of an (Intel-based) Mac.
        >
        > I found this group while searching for way to get the game working
        > under Intel OS X. The problem is there's no Classic mode since that
        > is based on the PPC architecture Macs. My solution appeared to be to
        > use Wine (or Darwine) to emulate the Win32 API calls used in the game
        > and thereby run the Windows version!
        >
        > I've managed to get over quite a few hurdles already (for example, I
        > had to copy the CD contents onto my Windows-formatted iPod to prevent
        > OS X from treating the KoDP CD as if it was a Mac-format disc!).
        >
        > All went well until I tried to run it. I get the first screen but it
        > keeps claiming the CD isn't in the CDROM drive, even though it is.
        > You might say well surely this is something you have to configure in
        > Wine and I would say yes, your're right! But as far as I can see it
        > IS set up to recognise it; I can actually install the Windows version
        > on my Mac (pretty cool in itself) but I can't actually play it.
        >
        > It's so frustrating and I just want to play! I know it's a bit of a
        > long shot but can anyone offer any advice or help?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Ben

      • ben miller
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 6, 2008
          Great, thanks Pere - I'll give that a go!
          Ben

          On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 7:53 AM, Pere Cortada Bonjoch <procesd@...>
          wrote:

          > I suggest you to use a virtual machine (virtualbox is free and fairly
          > good) and install and old windows system line Win98. It will resolve
          > all compatibility problems.
          >
          > Pere
          >

          > On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 5:04 PM, hathegkla <benito.m@...<benito.m%40gmail.com>>
          > wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi there. I was an avid fan of this game when it came out but this is
          > > my first time posting to this group. Since then I've ditched Windows
          > > in favour of an (Intel-based) Mac.
          > >
          > > I found this group while searching for way to get the game working
          > > under Intel OS X. The problem is there's no Classic mode since that
          > > is based on the PPC architecture Macs. My solution appeared to be to
          > > use Wine (or Darwine) to emulate the Win32 API calls used in the game
          > > and thereby run the Windows version!
          > >
          > > I've managed to get over quite a few hurdles already (for example, I
          > > had to copy the CD contents onto my Windows-formatted iPod to prevent
          > > OS X from treating the KoDP CD as if it was a Mac-format disc!).
          > >
          > > All went well until I tried to run it. I get the first screen but it
          > > keeps claiming the CD isn't in the CDROM drive, even though it is.
          > > You might say well surely this is something you have to configure in
          > > Wine and I would say yes, your're right! But as far as I can see it
          > > IS set up to recognise it; I can actually install the Windows version
          > > on my Mac (pretty cool in itself) but I can't actually play it.
          > >
          > > It's so frustrating and I just want to play! I know it's a bit of a
          > > long shot but can anyone offer any advice or help?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Ben

        • hathegkla
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 7, 2008
            Yep, that worked well - far better than Darwine. I now have sound
            and the CD drive detected properly. It's a little stuttery sound-
            wise which is a shame, but I'll get over it.

            I'd thoroughly recommend this solution to play on an Intel Mac!

            Cheers
            Ben

            --- In KingOfDragonPass@yahoogroups.com, "ben miller" <benito.m@...>