Problems with visiting a northwestern kingdom

  • roger_ducasse
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 4, 2006
      I'm doing a long game, in the second part, and have gotten the
      important message to travel to a northwest kingdom this year. I go to
      Tarth, sending my best explorer, a Vinga. She comes back later that
      year with stories of a new ruler, and remarks of how unruly my people
      were. But the next year, my tribal and clan leader tells me that it
      was a shame we never visited a northwestern kingdom, and that there's
      a feeling we may have missed than we realized.

      Any idea what's going on? I mean, I've been to Tarth before, and I
      went to Tarth, again. As I recall, that's what's needed. Am I wrong?

      Barry B.
    • roger_ducasse
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 4, 2006
        --- In KingOfDragonPass@yahoogroups.com, "roger_ducasse"
        <murometz@...> wrote:

        > I'm doing a long game, in the second part, and have gotten the
        > important message to travel to a northwest kingdom this year. I
        go to
        > Tarth, sending my best explorer, a Vinga. She comes back later
        that
        > year with stories of a new ruler, and remarks of how unruly my
        people
        > were. But the next year, my tribal and clan leader tells me that
        it
        > was a shame we never visited a northwestern kingdom, and that
        there's
        > a feeling we may have missed than we realized.
        >
        > Any idea what's going on? I mean, I've been to Tarth before, and
        > went to Tarth, again. As I recall, that's what's needed. Am I
        wrong?

        > Barry B.

        Yeah, I know it should have been Tarsh. What of it? ;) I've also
        tried going to the mountain in that direction: same problem. The
        following sea season, I'm told that it's a shame we don't do as
        suggested.
      • Bryan Thexton
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 5, 2006
          I've not had that specific issue--that is whenever that message comes
          up I've visited Tarsh and all has been OK. I think that I may have had
          a case where I did what was demanded in sacred time and not had the
          game recognize it, but I can't recall for sure now.

          The exploring one that bugs me is if you explore your own tula, but to
          the west of the one creak that often runs through it, the game talks
          about you having explored in the Dragon Newt wilds!

          --Bryan

          --- roger_ducasse <murometz@...> wrote:

          > --- In KingOfDragonPass@yahoogroups.com, "roger_ducasse"
          > <murometz@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm doing a long game, in the second part, and have gotten the
          > > important message to travel to a northwest kingdom this year. I
          > go to
          > > Tarth, sending my best explorer, a Vinga. She comes back later
          > that
          > > year with stories of a new ruler, and remarks of how unruly my
          > people
          > > were. But the next year, my tribal and clan leader tells me that
          > it
          > > was a shame we never visited a northwestern kingdom, and that
          > there's
          > > a feeling we may have missed than we realized.
          > >
          > > Any idea what's going on? I mean, I've been to Tarth before, and
          > > went to Tarth, again. As I recall, that's what's needed. Am I
          > wrong?
          > >
          > > Barry B.
          > >
          > Yeah, I know it should have been Tarsh. What of it? ;) I've also
          > tried going to the mountain in that direction: same problem. The
          > following sea season, I'm told that it's a shame we don't do as
          > suggested.

          Have a burning question?
        • roger_ducasse
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 5, 2006
            I've repeatedly sent out my Vinga enthusiast during sea, on ordinary
            travel, and she's back by earth, usually. On two occasions since
            I've tried sending out an Issaries party in fire as well, who arrive
            back by storm with exactly the same response that the first party
            got. And then, of course, I still get that message about not having
            traveled anywhere during the following sea season. Bah.

            Barry Brenesal

            --- In KingOfDragonPass@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Thexton

            _______________
            > Have a burning question?
            > Go to www.Answers.yahoo.com and get answers from real people who
            know.

          • Bryan Thexton
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 5, 2006
              What revision are you running? I believe the rev that I'm on is 1.7
              (whatever is the latest on the A-Sharp page).

              -Bryan

              Yahoo! Music Unlimited
              Access over 1 million songs.
              http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
            • roger_ducasse
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 5, 2006
                1.7.

                I've gone back to the storm season the year previous to receiving
                the exploration request, and played another two years. The request
                hasn't reappeared, yet. I'm hoping that when it shows up next my
                Tarsh vacation will be noticed, and everything fixed.

                _______________

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 5, 2006
                  Barry

                  >I'm doing a long game, in the second part, and have gotten the
                  >important message to travel to a northwest kingdom this year. I go to
                  >Tarth, sending my best explorer, a Vinga. She comes back later that
                  >year with stories of a new ruler, and remarks of how unruly my people
                  >were. But the next year, my tribal and clan leader tells me that it
                  >was a shame we never visited a northwestern kingdom, and that there's
                  >a feeling we may have missed than we realized.

                  Looking at the code, I think we may have missed a couple places this
                  is supposed to be tracked. It looks like if you travel in specific
                  years, it might exhibit this problem (which is probably why we didn't
                  find it, nor did Bryan -- most years you will satisfy the omen by
                  exploring Tarsh).

                  I don't know, chalk it up to obscure omens. May be your clan elders
                  read them wrong :-)
                  --

                  David Dunham A Sharp, LLC +1 206 783 7404
                  The Opal outliner is now available! <http://a-sharp.com/opal/>
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 5, 2006
                    --- In KingOfDragonPass@yahoogroups.com, David Dunham <david@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Barry
                    >
                    > >I'm doing a long game, in the second part, and have gotten the
                    > >important message to travel to a northwest kingdom this year. I
                    go to
                    > >Tarth, sending my best explorer, a Vinga. She comes back later
                    that
                    > >year with stories of a new ruler, and remarks of how unruly my
                    people
                    > >were. But the next year, my tribal and clan leader tells me that
                    it
                    > >was a shame we never visited a northwestern kingdom, and that
                    there's
                    > >a feeling we may have missed than we realized.
                    >
                    > Looking at the code, I think we may have missed a couple places
                    this
                    > is supposed to be tracked. It looks like if you travel in specific
                    > years, it might exhibit this problem (which is probably why we
                    didn't
                    > find it, nor did Bryan -- most years you will satisfy the omen by
                    > exploring Tarsh).
                    >
                    > I don't know, chalk it up to obscure omens. May be your clan
                    elders
                    > read them wrong :-)
                    > --
                    >
                    > David Dunham A Sharp, LLC +1 206 783 7404
                    > The Opal outliner is now available! <http://a-sharp.com/opal/>

                    Thanks for replying, David. It's been an unusually long game, with
                    a huge tribe, a very large clan, and several incidents I've only
                    read about and never seen, before. Hopefully, the problem won't
                    repeat. I'll whinge, wail and whine up here if it does. ;)

                    Barry Brenesal
                  • Bryan Thexton
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 5, 2006
                      What have you hit that was new for you?

                      In a recent game I hit a couple of things that hadn't happened with me
                      before. The one that sticks in my mind is this......

                      I had two clans of the colymar end up declaring feud with us fairly
                      early on—-not from anything we did, just bad relations that got worse
                      through neglect. That was a small first, and not a big deal, but then
                      it took a turn for the interesting. Their tribe came collecting
                      tribute just as we were working on our own tribe making. We paid them
                      in full, glad that we'd have our own tribe soon so they'd leave us
                      alone. Then they (the tribe) attacked us, two seasons later! Although
                      we were a peace clan without all that much in the way of war blessings
                      we somehow won—a combination of a war leader with heroic combat,
                      burning four extra magic points, and pure blind luck, I think. I did
                      triggered event, not random. It happened at the same point each time.
                      Oh, and on every replay we got crushed—even when using the Raven Banner
                      we won only pyrrhic victories, with the deaths and wounds looking
                      totally crippling (in one case we had zero weapon thanes available when
                      our tribe making moot happened immediately afterwards). It is the only
                      game in which the Colymar have attacked us except for when we refused
                      to pay tribute—and it is certainly the only time that we’ve defeated
                      them!

                      There are also a couple of things I’ve had happen only once, like
                      Saraska ending up as a bandit, having the weapon thane who is trying to
                      avoid fighting the uroxi end up frozen in ice (or something like that),
                      making peace with the trolls, and meeting the strange hand shaped
                      wizard in snake pipe hollow. I’m not quite sure what I did to end up
                      with any of those (except the peace with trolls, it is triggered off of
                      tribe making).

                      What I find overall though is that each clan seems to play out
                      differently overall. It is a mix of the leaders we get, the initial
                      geography, the chance of events, and of course my own approach. My
                      current clan, for example, may have record difficulty in tribe making.
                      There are only eight other eligible clans, two of which we are feuding
                      with and don’t want to make peace with, and a third with which I doubt
                      we’ll come to terms (it is the early arriving clan, that always wants
                      you to declare war on the beast folk. I just don’t see the value in
                      making a new enemy like that!). Which gives us five clans to try and
                      persuade to form a tribe, and it will be a pretty motley collection at
                      best.

                      For what it is worth, my favorites for tribe making are the war rock
                      clan (our fighters get better), the elmal clan (our fighters get
                      better), the vingans (they give and give!), and the earth temple clan
                      (if we don’t have the secrets to the ernalda and uralda myths). I
                      don’t like the pottery clan (just annoying), the early-arriving clan
                      (don’t want to fight the beast folk), or the fertile fields clan (there
                      is a bug in the game, so that the ‘deal’ on grain prices actually ends
                      up being negative as they are divided by two). Most of the rest seems
                      to balance off reasonably for me.

                      Regards;

                      Bryan
                      --- roger_ducasse <murometz@...> wrote:

                      > --- In KingOfDragonPass@yahoogroups.com, David Dunham <david@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Barry
                      > >
                      > > >I'm doing a long game, in the second part, and have gotten the
                      > > >important message to travel to a northwest kingdom this year. I
                      > go to
                      > > >Tarth, sending my best explorer, a Vinga. She comes back later
                      > that
                      > > >year with stories of a new ruler, and remarks of how unruly my
                      > people
                      > > >were. But the next year, my tribal and clan leader tells me that
                      > it
                      > > >was a shame we never visited a northwestern kingdom, and that
                      > there's
                      > > >a feeling we may have missed than we realized.
                      > >
                      > > Looking at the code, I think we may have missed a couple places
                      > this
                      > > is supposed to be tracked. It looks like if you travel in specific
                      > > years, it might exhibit this problem (which is probably why we
                      > didn't
                      > > find it, nor did Bryan -- most years you will satisfy the omen by
                      > > exploring Tarsh).
                      > >
                      > > I don't know, chalk it up to obscure omens. May be your clan
                      > elders
                      > > read them wrong :-)
                      > > --
                      > >
                      > > David Dunham A Sharp, LLC +1 206 783 7404
                      > > The Opal outliner is now available! <http://a-sharp.com/opal/>
                      > >

                      > Thanks for replying, David. It's been an unusually long game, with
                      > a huge tribe, a very large clan, and several incidents I've only
                      > read about and never seen, before. Hopefully, the problem won't
                      > repeat. I'll whinge, wail and whine up here if it does. ;)
                      >
                      > Barry Brenesal

                      Have a burning question?
                    • roger_ducasse
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 5, 2006
                        I'd always gotten Saraska being dissed by the tribal leaders. This
                        time, she actually got to do the ritual, and we got to kill her
                        primary backer. We also twice got requests from the Rune Ducks to
                        join our clan. The first time, the rest of the tribes laughed the
                        idea out, but the second time we got adjunct status for them
                        (whatever that entailed). I've never gotten the baby-on-a-shield
                        incident before; now, we sent her to be trained, and she's on the
                        council as a 17-year-old Vinga representative. Trolls have also
                        told us we could mollify Cragspider with tribute, but I haven't
                        tried that. I'm too busy feeding an endless stream of Orlanth
                        worshippers to her, in order to get some variety among my nobles.

                        That's the lot. Nothing I'm sure you haven't seen, but it's been
                        interesting to watch previously unseen material.