Re: [KoDP] doing it the proper way

  • bryan_j_maloney
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 5, 2004
      --- In KingOfDragonPass@yahoogroups.com, "John Scheibeler"
      <uplink989@c...> wrote:
      > Are we talking about a no reload-after-a-failed-heroquest game, here?
      > Because this game takes a LONG time, and I find I have to save and
      load just
      > to play a game to its end.

      That's different from a "reload upon failure". An "honest" save and
      load is simply saving when you quit for the session and loading when
      you start up again. Since I'd wager that nearly all KoDP players have
      real lives, I'd also wager that nearly all KoDP players save and load.
    • Bryan Thexton
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 7, 2004
        --- bryan_j_maloney <bryan_j_maloney@...> wrote:
        > --- In KingOfDragonPass@yahoogroups.com, "John Scheibeler"
        > <uplink989@c...> wrote:
        > > Are we talking about a no reload-after-a-failed-heroquest game,
        > here?
        > > Because this game takes a LONG time, and I find I have to save and
        > load just
        > > to play a game to its end.
        >
        > That's different from a "reload upon failure". An "honest" save and
        > load is simply saving when you quit for the session and loading when
        > you start up again. Since I'd wager that nearly all KoDP players
        > have
        > real lives, I'd also wager that nearly all KoDP players save and
        > load.

        Inspired by this thread, I did finally start an attempt at an "honest"
        game.

        I tend to play in short spurts, so have forgiven myself for honest
        memory lapses regarding sacred time prophecies. That is, when I picked
        the game back up in mid-year, all excited, took a couple of turns, then
        remembered to go back and check the prophecy and realized taht I needed
        to have done something different (one was picking it up mid-fire
        season, making three moves, then checking the prophecy and seeing we
        were supposed to visit Kero Finn. Experience says you can't pull this
        off leaving later than earth season. I went back to the fire season
        save (incidentaly losing a treasure in the process) and played it from
        there. I forget the other prophecy issue now). So that is the minor
        cheat, forgiving some sloppy play.

        I did have one major lapse however. My chief was struck down by the
        hereditary illness. I was attached to my chief, and enjoying her
        story, and while I had reasonably substitutes available I was weak and
        went back to the last save. If I'd lost her in battle, on a mission,
        or something else I would have taken it, but for me the most compelling
        part of the game is the story, and that evening I wasn't able to accept
        that twist on the story.

        So no, I won't be able to claim a 'pure' game, but this one is looking
        pretty close. There were some rough times at the beginning after our
        trickster lost most of our goods gambling with the dragon, and we had
        one of those awful years when we were short on weaponthanes, didn't
        have enough horses to equip more weaponthanes, and didn't have enough
        cattle, food, or goods to trade for more horses. But we made it
        through. We also survived the devestation caused by a drought that we
        didn't break with our first sacrifice. Our herds took huge damage, but
        we'd just finished our first heroquest, Ernalda Feeds the Tribe with
        the benefit of making our cattle healthier, so we managed to recover,
        although it was a contributor to some lean times.

        It took ~15 years to make a tribe, and for the first time it was not
        prompted by a visit by the hermit. We'd been hovering one notch below
        the top of the scale for a few years when another clan hosted the
        cooking contest. We talked to other clans about making a tribe, and it
        turns out that is enough to start the tribe making event (we'd already
        succesfully quested for Orlanth's blessing).

        We did have one heroquest go off the rails so far (our first attempt at
        making of the storm tribe) but fortunately the quester was able to
        succesfully get lost before doing too much damage, and eventually got
        brought home by Yinkin for no great cost. We have succeeded at Ernalda
        Feeds the Tribe, Making of the Storm Tribe, Challana Arroy Heals the
        Scars (twice! Both times in response to the disease spirits sacred
        time predictions, fortunately both times we'd been building up towards
        a quest and had an appropriate quester) and the Issaries quest. Kallyr
        just came back from being trained by the Vingans, so we should complete
        another quest or two now :)

        Oh, and this was on Medium. I wasn't dedicated enough to try a pure
        game on hard! It might be possible, but I think you'd need to be
        willing to have a few clans die on you for each one that succeeds.

        --Bryan

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail