That was SOME poem

  • bethexton@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 14, 2004
      In a recent game, from start until shortly before we became king of
      the tribe, the clan was largely carried on the shoulders of our
      heroic ernaldan god-talker. She was the best leader (although she
      wasn't chief, it being an Elmali clan and all), best farmer, best
      negotiator, best law-talker, and even a pretty good fighter. She
      completed five different hero quests (ernalda, storm tribe, O&A,
      issaries, LM), and while she failed on the Uralda quest she did gain
      Gustbran's wheel. She won drinking and swordplay contests in Tarsh,
      calmed tempers, forged alliances, and generally was the leading
      figure of the clan for 23 years.

      Finally she was getting on in years and the clan was facing up to
      having to replace her in the next ten years or so. Then tragically
      she was struck down before her time, but managed to linger long
      enough to tell us a poem of her life.

      We were so moved, we shared the poem with other clans, who were also
      moved.

      And on a more practical note, our clan magic went up by nearly 30
      points! That was SOME poem!

      Oh, and just a season or two after that we finally managed to take
      the throne, and I suspect our suddenly buff magic total may have
      played a role in that-or maybe it was in increase in our reputation
      because of her poem? Either way, even in death she served the clan
      well.

      It is that sort of unintentional story that keeps popping out of KoDP
      games that keeps me playing it!

      --Bryan
    • Kristian Radford
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 15, 2004
        wow, that's heaps good. I've never got that event...
        BTW, what is the average age that nobles die? I've
        never really payed enough attention to find out. I
        also recall reading somewhere that if you're tribal
        king/queen and you're in the endgame sequence, they
        won't die at all. Is this true? and what is classified
        as the endgame?

        http://au.movies.yahoo.com
      • Bryan Thexton
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 15, 2004
          --- Kristian Radford <kjradford@...> wrote:
          > wow, that's heaps good. I've never got that event...

          I've had some version of it a number of times....sometimes a family
          curse, sometimes injury, maybe other variations that I've forgotten.
          It can strike them quite a bit younger. Sharing the poem does not
          alway have any effect, and never before had I seen it have such an
          effect. But poetry is the average of leadership and custom, which I
          think she had both of at renowned, which might have helped, and I just
          got lucky too, I think.

          > BTW, what is the average age that nobles die?

          Anytime at or after 65 generally (maybe sometimes at 64?). Sometimes
          they'll live on into their 70s, but I don't think I've ever seen one
          reach 75 (two exceptions to that rule....)

          > I also recall reading somewhere that if you're tribal
          > king/queen and you're in the endgame sequence, they
          > won't die at all. Is this true? and what is classified
          > as the endgame?

          This is one of the exceptions. They won't die of old age anyway, they
          can still be killed of course. I'm not quite sure when the endgame
          sequence starts, but for sure by the time you start building a city it
          is in play, and probably after the grazer emissaries come announcing
          the feathered horse queen.

          Personally I don't like the esthetics of it...what sort of dynasty is
          an 80 year old King of Dragon Pass going to start? (even moreso in the
          case of an 80 year old Queen of Dragon Pass....). So once I've formed
          a tribe and done my first few quests, I usually choose a promising
          young noble and start grooming him or her for the throne.

          The other exception is that nobles only die at the start of Sea Season.
          If they aren't at the clan then, they won't die. Now, you don't want
          a ring member away during sacred time, and you don't want to have to
          shuffle someone on and off the ring twice a year, but sometimes
          non-ring members can still be useful. The two times I've abused this
          for a while were

          SPOILER--SPOILER--SPOILER
          SPOILER--SPOILER--SPOILER
          SPOILER--SPOILER--SPOILER
          SPOILER--SPOILER--SPOILER
          SPOILER--SPOILER--SPOILER
          SPOILER--SPOILER--SPOILER
          SPOILER--SPOILER--SPOILER
          SPOILER--SPOILER--SPOILER
          SPOILER--SPOILER--SPOILER
          SPOILER--SPOILER--SPOILER
          SPOILER--SPOILER--SPOILER
          SPOILER--SPOILER--SPOILER
          SPOILER--SPOILER--SPOILER
          SPOILER--SPOILER--SPOILER
          SPOILER--SPOILER--SPOILER
          SPOILER--SPOILER--SPOILER

          were sending someone with heroic magic to Kero Finn at the end of each
          Storm Season, and sending an Uroxi with heroic combat (and much other
          good skills) to Snake Pipe Hollow at the end of each storm season.
          (Neither was on the ring) The same would work sending someone with
          heroic bargaining to Tarsh each year. Basically in each of those
          cases, with the heroic ability, you get good results every time. From
          Kero Finn there is much possible goodness (shrine to herself,
          treasures, magic boost, exploration help, raid help). Snake Pipe
          Hollow gives you the satisfaction of thinning the chaos hordes, and
          also yields goods and treasures. Tarsh gives you good relations,
          possibly goods, and possibly treasures.

          The two times I've abused this, eventually I needed to take some other
          action at the end of Storm Season, and they promptly died of old age at
          the end of sacred time.

          You could view it as a game artifact, but given their heroic abilities
          I like to think of that by honoring their gods with their abilities
          they were able to defy old age for a while :) (I'm good at deluding
          myself that way)

          --Bryan

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
        • chrilleub
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 16, 2004
            --- In KingOfDragonPass@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Thexton <bethexton@y...> wrote:

            > <spoiler something> at the end of each Storm Season

            This is interesting because the hero would reach the site in the next season (dark season?). Why not do it at the start of the season?
          • Meredith Dixon
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 16, 2004
              On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:33:10 -0000, you wrote:

              >--- In KingOfDragonPass@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Thexton <bethexton@y...> wrote:
              >
              >> <spoiler something> at the end of each Storm Season
              >
              >This is interesting because the hero would reach the site in the next season (dark season?). Why not do it at the start of the season?

              The idea is to make sure that your aged noble is out of the tula in Sacred
              Time and at the start of Spring season. If you go earlier than the last turn
              of Storm season, you risk having the noble be intercepted by bandits or
              something and returned to the tula.

              And Sacred Time, not Dark season, follows Storm season.

              --
              Meredith Dixon <dixonm@...>
              Check out *Raven Days*: http://www.ravendays.org
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 30, 2004
                Interesting. I just lost a Lankhor Mhy worshipper who was either
                renowed or heroic in many things and a very important figure in the
                clan to a sudden, tragic snake bite. He recited a poem on his
                deathbed that we shared with the other clans, bringing our magic up
                by a smaller but still very large boost of 14 points. It could be
                because our recent luck at heroquesting had already raised our magic
                to 14, or it could be because our stiff was not quite as epic as the
                one who gave a 30-point boost.

                Unfortunately, I still ended up quitting for the time being. Why?
                Because we had just succeeded at tribe-making in unpromising
                circumstances far better than I had done in previous games during
                optimal times, and the man had risen to the rank of tribal king not
                five minutes before.

                Now excuse me while I go find out who's the patron deity of snakes
                and open a can of Earthshaker on whatever she holds holy. If there is
                no such thing, we'll make one up.