Is it gonna be really scary and hard?

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 10, 2003
      If I play the hard level game? The average level I found pretty fine
      as long as at the beginning I kept the neighbors happy and emphasized
      on increasing the rate limiting step (goods). Anything new or
      interesting i'd expect to see at the hard level? Cheers Chris
    • Alexander G. M. Smith
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 10, 2003
        Chris wrote on Thu, 10 Apr 2003 22:29:45 -0000:
        > If I play the hard level game? The average level I found pretty fine
        > as long as at the beginning I kept the neighbors happy and emphasized
        > on increasing the rate limiting step (goods). Anything new or
        > interesting i'd expect to see at the hard level? Cheers Chris

        I'm still on the easy level, at -17 magic (lots of failed heroquests). It's hard if you play without backtracking to saved games when things go wrong. Maybe I'll get to see one of the apocaclypse endings. :-)

        - Alex
      • Bryan Thexton
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 10, 2003
          Well, you start with two neighbors feuding with you (and another feud
          farther afield), and no fortifications. There are other starting
          conditions differences I think, and everything may be marginally
          harder.

          Even with saves to avoid some of the worst disasters, I found my first
          several games on hard I didn't thrive until I got rid of some feuds.
          One strategy is to sacrifice like crazy to Challana Arroy until you
          know her quest, then complete it to make peace with your neighbors.
          The 'peace bomb' is a pretty effective strategy. Otherwise you can
          offer lots of goods and/or a treasure to one of your neighbors to end
          one of the feuds.

          It is possible to survive with both feuds, but then you have to quite
          focus on building up your defences quickly--either lots of blessings,
          or else the Elmal quest for his aide when attacked.

          Finally, I find on hard that having the Silver Dragon really helps.
          Maybe I'm just superstitious, but often things seem to turn around
          about the time that I get it.

          In general, don't take too many chances. In other words, don't send a
          weak exploration party into unknown territory without the pathfinder
          blessing (unless you want to get rid of them, of course), don't try a
          heroquest when you are under-prepared, unless it is an emergency, etc.
          Beyond that, the strategies are mostly the same.

          Best of luck!

          --Bryan

          --- Chris <zcore_uk@...> wrote:
          > If I play the hard level game? The average level I found pretty fine
          > as long as at the beginning I kept the neighbors happy and emphasized
          >
          > on increasing the rate limiting step (goods). Anything new or
          > interesting i'd expect to see at the hard level? Cheers Chris

          http://tax.yahoo.com
        • Chris Lemens
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 11, 2003
            I'm playing on hard right now. I've played it about
            five times. Of those, I died (or gave up because the
            outcome was obvious) fairly quickly. The first few
            years of the game, I was either struck by multiple
            raids every year or by poor harvests multiple years
            running. In my current game and the one I lost, I
            managed through the disastrous harvests and now have a
            strong clan. In both of these cases, my problem is
            that I cannot succeed at heroquests, even with the
            magic items I have. In the one I lost, the
            dragonnewts finally got fed up with me and attacked
            riding dinosaurs. It was a slaughter. We tried to
            soldier on, but the clan disbanded anyway. I have not
            reloaded any of them.

            Query -- what impact does having more magic points
            have on success in heroquests? And does spending
            points on heroquesting during sacred time carry over
            from prior years (so, for example, doing so for three
            years running would give me better chances that just
            one year)?

            =====
            Chris Lemens

            http://tax.yahoo.com
          • Bryan Thexton
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 11, 2003
              dinosaur riding dragon newts? Cool, I've never seen that one before!
              (how do you manage to annoy them so badly anyway?)

              I don't think there is carry over from one year to another on quest
              magic. However, high magic points are crucial for quest success, I
              think. I like to have at least seven, although that isn't always
              possible in early years, even with advanced planning. At the very
              least they improve your chance to cross over to the other side. Beyond
              that, I think they generally improve your chances of success. As do,
              of course, sacrificing to that god in the preceding year, and taking
              actions that will please them.

              A few tricks that I've found on hard for questing

              *** spoilerish ***

              -It seems to me that the first quest to your main god goes unusually
              easy. So make good use of it, such as strengthening a quester that can
              come back and repeat it for other benefits in the future.

              - I think there is a rivalry between Issaries and LM, and between CA
              and Humakt. I think having a larger shrine/temple to the opposing one
              hurts your quest chances. i.e. having a temple to Humakt and a shrine
              to CA will make questing to CA harder. This is my impression, it is
              not a confirmed fact. Having a larger temple may even help, but I
              don't usually have too much trouble once the size matches.

              - Sacred time magics aside from quest magic count. When questing to
              Ernalda put magic into crops and children, when questing to CA put
              magic into health, but NOT into war (vice versa for Humakt). Mysteries
              for LM, trade for Issaries, herds for Uralda. I'm not so sure for
              Orlanth, but I usually try to have a balance for him. Again, this is
              my impression, not a confirmed fact.

              - Questing to deal with problems usually goes easier, I think. i.e.
              quest to Ernalda for improved crop yields in years when your crops will
              be poor.

              - Take actions appropriate to the god before questing. Don't raid
              before questing to CA, but do for Humakt. Cattle raid for Orlanth, go
              trading for Issaries, grow your herds for Uralda, build fortifications
              for Elmal.

              - There may be no better use for owed favors than to get help for a
              quest, although you don't know in time if they will come and support
              you. Just collecting some extra magic can help too.

              I hope this helps a bit!

              http://tax.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 11, 2003
                Chris

                > If I play the hard level game?

                It's quite difficult.

                > Anything new or interesting i'd expect to see at the hard level?

                I think there's one scene that can't happen on Easy level, but
                nothing new for Hard.
                --

                David Dunham A Sharp david@...
                Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404 http://a-sharp.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 14, 2003
                  Spoilers ?
                  My impressions for questing

                  - Magic is important but other skills are vital. Leadership is vital
                  for Ernalda feeds the Tribe, Combat is usefull for Uralda Quest
                  (think it helps bearing wounds). Default leader is not always the
                  best.

                  - Being an Initiate of the god helps but a questing machine (like
                  Kallyr) will find quest easier than a bad initiate

                  - Quester must be in your ring (otherwise the quest Magic won't help)

                  - Quest magic is good but other magic is usefull too, like Diplomacy
                  for Ernalda feeds the tribe or war for Orlanth and Aroka (and perhaps
                  Uralda)

                  - Read the quest before enacting it, Understand the quest before
                  enacting it, Read the secrets very carefully (underlined lines)
                  before enacting it. If you still don't understand what you have to do
                  buy Runequest books ;-)

                  - If you fail the quest perhaps you don't choose the right awnsers.
                  You could have been succesfull even with wrong (or at least not
                  optimum) awnsers. Even if it's a little bit random, take a look at
                  your magic gain at the end of the quest. You can only give a limited
                  amount of wrong awnsers (the Uralda or the Humakt quests are tricky
                  for that, now that I think I have the good awnsers it's far more easy)

                  - make sacrifice to gods before questing (and not only the questing
                  god and wind spirits, Chalana Arroy for example is a good idea for
                  wounding quest)

                  - Have usefull blessings for the quest on.

                  - Quest on the right season (storm for Orlanth, Earth for Ernalda)

                  - Treasures help (and not only treasures that are labelled for
                  questing)

                  - High magic points helps (I'm quite sure of that)

                  - Have seven different gods on your ring. Try po put the rare double
                  initiates (orlanth/elmal, Ernalda/Uralda) on your ring, you can quest
                  with one of your ring member in mission (usefull for emergency quests)

                  - Sacrifice to Quest and not going questing helps recovering faster
                  the time penaty at least. And it also helps for event triggered
                  quests.

                  - You can sometimes minimize risks (in Orlanth and Aroka for exemple)
                  helps being succesfull (minimize gain but it's very usefull)

                  - Temple size may help. Helps having blessings active anyway.

                  - Helps from other tribes make life easy but I never use this if not
                  in imediate danger because I don't like being in debt. I think that
                  the helping clan also have some benefits in a succesfull quest (so be
                  carefull), always use allies for that (and allies that have debts
                  (keep a list because when they are allies you don't know the number
                  of favor anymore))

                  - Don't use your sacred time pool. To my mind don't go trading before
                  going on a Issaries Quest. It use the trade Magic you should have
                  kept for your quest.

                  - Try to take folowers from your clans, they will increase their
                  skill levels too (but can raise the difficulty level if they are not
                  as good as the default gods)
                • Bryan Thexton
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 14, 2003
                    Dave has previously confirmed that the season and absolute temple size
                    don't affect the difficulty of the quest (I used to think that they did
                    too).

                    I don't think sacred time magic gets "used up" i.e. if you assign war
                    magic, it applies in all of your fights that year, as opposed to the
                    magic you assign at the battle. Therefore I don't see a downside to
                    doing related actions before the quest, and suspect that if anything
                    they help.

                    --Bryan

                    http://tax.yahoo.com
                  • macleod130373
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 14, 2003
                      --- In KingOfDragonPass@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Thexton
                      <bethexton@y...> wrote:
                      > Dave has previously confirmed that the season and absolute temple
                      size
                      > don't affect the difficulty of the quest (I used to think that they
                      did
                      > too).
                      >
                      > I don't think sacred time magic gets "used up" i.e. if you assign
                      war
                      > magic, it applies in all of your fights that year, as opposed to the
                      > magic you assign at the battle. Therefore I don't see a downside to
                      > doing related actions before the quest, and suspect that if anything
                      > they help.
                      >
                      > --Bryan

                      The season is unimportant ! I'm desapointed :-(, because fighting
                      trolls in Aroka seems more difficult to me in Dark season, and high
                      holy day is good day for questing, even if there's no impact on game,
                      I will continue to do this like a good Orlanthi :-).
                      I think magic is used up just a bit, but it's only an impression,
                      real proof is hard to have, I might be wrong