Re: [KoDP] Snakepipe's smokers

  • KentCave
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2003
      > still wanna know if anything more comes out of Snakepipe Hollow
      > surrounding areas, other than trolls

      You can find chaotic creatuers galore in snakepipe hollow. In certain
      conditions you can also find the weirdest sorceror. I don't know
      exactly what the conditions are, as it only happened to me once, but
      Dave hinted that it only happened if your clan had a certain weakness.

      --Bryan

      Hmm interesting.. I would really like to know whats the weakness really is.
      I have demolished my clan members exploring those surrounding areas.
      Stinking Forest, Snakepipe Hollow, Cragspider's lair. Using heroquests as a
      boost sometimes.

      Only gotten some messages about chaos creatures and I found out Tusk Riders
      lives in that area. A sorcerer? Hmm aint Delecti right? Swamp area thats it
      should be, not so far north. And somehow in this current game, I just cant
      find the mostali, never ever, even once, although countless attempts I did.

      PS does that salmon guy "ever" succeed?
    • Edward Bornstein
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2003
        KentCave wrote:

        >PS does that salmon guy "ever" succeed?

        Yeah I've had it happen at least once, and my rivers filled with fish or
        some such.

        --
        American Express says I'm deceased. Boo! Consider yourself haunted.
        Captain Button - button@...
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 2, 2003

          > You can find chaotic creatuers galore in snakepipe hollow. In
          > certain conditions you can also find the weirdest sorceror.
          > I don't know exactly what the conditions are, as it only
          > happened to me once, but Dave hinted that it only happened if
          > your clan had a certain weakness.

          It happens to me often, so it must mean that my clans often have that
          weakness :(

          I am annoyed, however, that I never manage to do something interesting
          or useful in that event. My weaponthane looses and arm and I loose even
          more if I send a rescue party.
        • kentcave <kentcave@indo.net.id>
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
            --- In KingOfDragonPass@yahoogroups.com, Edward Bornstein
            <button@i...> wrote:
            > KentCave wrote:
            >
            > >PS does that salmon guy "ever" succeed?
            >
            > Yeah I've had it happen at least once, and my rivers filled with
            fish or
            > some such.
            >
            > --
            > American Express says I'm deceased. Boo! Consider yourself
            haunted.
            > Captain Button - button@i...

            WOW never thought he could ever make it, from the advices of my clan
            members.

            Thanks, guess I will choose the sea folks as my enemy this time,
            although I will get floodings.

            Hmm if he appears more than once in one game, ain't that will be
            weird? Unless they changes the text to make it seems like its the
            brothers/other cult members/descendants etc.

            "You woman, are mine and soon I will ride you." - always crack me up.
          • macleod130373 <alain.roques@free.fr>
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
              > WOW never thought he could ever make it, from the advices of my clan
              > members.
              >
              > Thanks, guess I will choose the sea folks as my enemy this time,
              > although I will get floodings.

              To my mind choosing sea folk as ennemies decreased your chances (no
              proof of that but seems logic)
              Nevertheless the quest is hard and not always succeed
            • kentcave <kentcave@indo.net.id>
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
                --- In KingOfDragonPass@yahoogroups.com, "macleod130373
                <alain.roques@f...>" <alain.roques@f...> wrote:

                > > WOW never thought he could ever make it, from the advices of my
                clan
                > > members.
                > >
                > > Thanks, guess I will choose the sea folks as my enemy this time,
                > > although I will get floodings.
                > >
                > To my mind choosing sea folk as ennemies decreased your chances (no
                > proof of that but seems logic)
                > Nevertheless the quest is hard and not always succeed

                Hmm I thought someone mentioned previous posts ahead that
                it "increases" the chance?

                Well, one way to find out is to trial and error it ourselves. Will
                see how it goes then. I never choose beastfolks as enemy, I love
                ducks too much hehe. Can Ironhoof be ever beaten? I don't think so
                right?

                The works of the 3 artists are great. Timeless and evocative, even
                after all this time. The smoothness ink of Mike Raabe, the clean yet
                rough lines of Stefano Gaudiano and the wood-carving art of Damon
                Brown. My favourite is hmm hard to say at the least, I'm too biased.

                Anyone knows if Raabe and Brown has pics in the game? I know Gaudiano
                is inside, most of the time he is an Elmali, although its quite
                random to some. And if those two ain't inside the game, why is it so?
                Them too shy? Too old and ancient to remember how they looks when
                they were young? Hehe

                @,-p
              • bethexton <bethexton@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
                  --- In KingOfDragonPass@yahoogroups.com, "macleod130373
                  <alain.roques@f...>" <alain.roques@f...> wrote:

                  > > WOW never thought he could ever make it, from the advices of my
                  clan
                  > > members.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks, guess I will choose the sea folks as my enemy this time,
                  > > although I will get floodings.
                  > >
                  > To my mind choosing sea folk as ennemies decreased your chances (no
                  > proof of that but seems logic)
                  > Nevertheless the quest is hard and not always succeed

                  He seems to show up more regularly when you take the Sea as an
                  enemy. I think he also has a better chance to succeed (after all,
                  you are experienced at fighting the forces of water, so your support
                  may be better than other folks).

                  Flooding can indeed be devestating, especially since you very often
                  get a flood in the first couple of years when your margin of survival
                  is slim. However, if you then give away generously to neighbors
                  suffering even more than you it does wonders for your reputation, and
                  may even end feuds. I suspect that this would work best with a peace
                  clan that is aiming for very quick tribe building. Something like
                  Ernalda as your main goddess (so you can early quest for improved
                  crop yields and healthier, more fertile cows to offset the flood
                  damage), your first major event being the clan making dance (so that
                  you start knowing the making of the storm tribe quest), and keep
                  Elmal after the dawn so that you start with Steadfast (I think?) to
                  give you a chance to survive the early attacks. Hmmmm, I'll have to
                  give it a try, my only previous attempt at a peace clan was not a
                  resounding success and switched to being balanced.

                  Back to the Salmon guy. If he more reliably showed up early, the
                  extra 50 food a year would help offset the damage of the early flood,
                  but if he is more common, he is still random and may not show up
                  until after you are well established.

                  --Bryan
                • bethexton <bethexton@yahoo.com>
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
                    --- In KingOfDragonPass@yahoogroups.com, "Milos Rasic" <mrasic@t...>
                    wrote:
                    > Me:
                    > > In
                    > > certain conditions you can also find the weirdest sorceror.
                    > > I don't know exactly what the conditions are, as it only
                    > > happened to me once, but Dave hinted that it only happened if
                    > > your clan had a certain weakness.
                    >
                    > It happens to me often, so it must mean that my clans often have
                    that
                    > weakness :(
                    >
                    > I am annoyed, however, that I never manage to do something
                    interesting
                    > or useful in that event. My weaponthane looses and arm and I loose
                    even
                    > more if I send a rescue party.

                    ** spoilerish **
                    The one time that it happened I was able to succesfully get his hand
                    back and dispose of the foul sorceror. I don't recall the details of
                    the event very well, but I think I sent a leader high in magic, and
                    if I had a chance I probably made a big sacrifice to Urox before
                    going.

                    My suspicion is that perhaps it only happens if you don't have a
                    shrine to Urox? I usually put off exploring Snake Pipe Hollow until
                    late in the game, when I can either send a very powerful leader or
                    someone I hope to get rid of, so by then I usually have a shrine to
                    Urox with Sense Chaos, and for that matter I often sacrifice for
                    Smite Chaos before sending off the explorers. The one time the event
                    happened to me I think it was early in the game, and I may not have
                    had that shrine in place.

                    In other words, I don't know that the Urox shrine is the key, it
                    could be something totally different, but it might be something to
                    keep in mind.

                    --Bryan
                  • Alexander G. M. Smith
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
                      kentcave wrote on Fri, 03 Jan 2003 10:05:40 -0000:
                      > WOW never thought he could ever make it, from the advices
                      > of my clan members.

                      Oddly enough, I was reading a book called "King of Sartar" (by
                      Greg Stafford) last week (looking for info on Lunars for the
                      upcoming Gloranthacon) and came across mention of the salmon
                      guy, maybe twice. The index even is good enough to mention it
                      in the Old Kings List:

                      "Rostakos was tenth. He was of the Jenstali, or Red Fox, clan.
                      In his reign Enjossi came, and asked for support in performing
                      the Salmon Rite at Seven Falls. Rostakos said he would support
                      it, and Enjossi proved to be Salmon Man. [...]"

                      Looking up Enjossi in the index gives a few more entries, I'll
                      quote the main one for you, get the book (ISBN 0-933635-99-0)
                      for the others:

                      "Enjossi was a man who came and promised that he could bring
                      the salmon back to the Stream. No salmon had been there since
                      the river had changed course over 150 years earlier. The
                      chances of success seemed slim, and the cost of failure to the
                      whole tribe could be great. The Balmyr King had already
                      refused to support the adventurer. But King Rostakos did risk
                      it, and Enjossi succeeded. He swam from the Choralinthor, up
                      the New River, leapt up the Seven Falls, and spawned at the
                      source of the Stream. Since then there have been many salmon
                      in it each year, and Enjossi's clan has thrived."

                      Yes, it definitely seems like your advisors will tell you that
                      the salmon rite is dangerous. But it can pay off.

                      - Alex

                      P.S. Now I know where A-Sharp got all those tribe names!