Just how many horses do they have?

  • Kaj Sotala
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002

      After a pause far too long, I've finally began playing KoDP again. Now, while
      exploring, my explorers encountered the event where you can steal the Goldeneye
      Horse from the Horse-Spawn. I decided to try it out, and behold: my
      weaponthanes succeeded in bringing back the horse.

      Sometime later, another clan approached us and offered to buy the horse. I
      agreed to sell it to them for exchange of a good price of 60 cattle and 30
      goods.

      And guess what happened next... yes, as I sent out my men to do some more
      exploring, they stumbled upon the same event again, and not only that, I once
      again succeeded in stealing the same horse from the Horse-Spawn!

      Next thing to happen? If you thought that somebody would offer to buy the
      horse for 60 cattle and 30 goods, you were absolutely right. And I agreed.

      I'm not going to go explore the area of the map where the Horse-Spawn live
      again, since selling the same darn horse THREE times would feel too much
      like cheating... but I can't help but wonder about just how many magnificent,
      clearly magical horses do the Horse-Spawn have, and how come they leave
      them badly guarded even after they've lost one of them?

      "The deeds of the Finns during the Winter War gave others an example of how a people must fight for its independence." - Colonel
      General Dimitrij Volkogonov, February 1989
      ICQ 18051088/AIM Xuenay/MSN Xuenay@...
    • Bryan Thexton
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
        --- Kaj Sotala <Tspro@...> wrote:

        Wow, I've never had that event come up more than once
        before. Much as I like the horse, I agree that the
        price they offer for it is impressive.

        Still, I think the goldeneye horses are a breed of
        horses that the grazers keep, so there must be a fair
        number of them in total. What I wonder is how often
        the same clan would pay so much for additional ones!

        On a mostly unrelated note, after playing the game for
        ages, I had a new event take place for the first time!
        While exploring Snake Pipe Hollow, my explorers had
        an unfortunate run in with a 'Hand'some
        magician....this game keeps on surprising me! Now my
        request for spoiler info--we didn't take his treasure,
        for fear of chaos taint. Since this event seems so
        rare I'm not apt to hit it again soon, so I wonder if
        anyone has kept the treasure, and if it did actually
        have any bad results.

        --Bryan

        http://greetings.yahoo.com
      • Captain Button
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
          On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Kaj Sotala wrote:

          > After a pause far too long, I've finally began playing KoDP again. Now, while
          > exploring, my explorers encountered the event where you can steal the Goldeneye
          > Horse from the Horse-Spawn. I decided to try it out, and behold: my
          > weaponthanes succeeded in bringing back the horse.
          >
          > Sometime later, another clan approached us and offered to buy the horse. I
          > agreed to sell it to them for exchange of a good price of 60 cattle and 30
          > goods.
          >
          > And guess what happened next... yes, as I sent out my men to do some more
          > exploring, they stumbled upon the same event again, and not only that, I once
          > again succeeded in stealing the same horse from the Horse-Spawn!

          Perhaps the Horse Spawn either bought it back or stole it back.

          --
          "We have to go forth and crush every world view that doesn't believe in
          tolerance and free speech," - David Brin
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002

            > I'm not going to go explore the area of the map where the Horse-Spawn live
            > again, since selling the same darn horse THREE times would feel too much
            > like cheating... but I can't help but wonder about just how many
            magnificent,
            > clearly magical horses do the Horse-Spawn have, and how come they leave
            > them badly guarded even after they've lost one of them?

            The Golden Eye horses are a magical breed of horse, so there are plenty of
            Goldeneye horses out there for your brave warriors to raid (you're only
            getting *one* horse, they have hundreds).

            Heroic horse-spawn warriors can go on a heroquest (known only to the
            Horse-spawn, sorry) to gain a complete and mutual magical bond with their
            horse. The horses themselves can see and fight disembodied spirits, and can
            gain magical powers from spirits. Since you aren't given the opportunity to
            play a Horse-spawn clan, this is all in the background, and most abilities
            of the horses are not available to your clan.

            Roderick Robertson
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
              Kaj

              > And guess what happened next... yes, as I sent out my men to do some more
              > exploring, they stumbled upon the same event again, and not only that, I once
              > again succeeded in stealing the same horse from the Horse-Spawn!

              Yes, Robin Laws designed this so that it could repeat. However, you
              don't get the chance to steal a Goldeneye every time you visit the
              Grazelands. (There are other things that can happen.)

              > Next thing to happen? If you thought that somebody would offer to buy the
              > horse for 60 cattle and 30 goods, you were absolutely right. And I agreed.

              The clan that wants to buy it has a special affinity with horses.

              > I'm not going to go explore the area of the map where the Horse-Spawn live
              > again, since selling the same darn horse THREE times would feel too much
              > like cheating...

              You could easily fail to steal the horse (plus see above).
              --

              David Dunham A Sharp david@...
              Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404 http://a-sharp.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 2, 2002

                >rare I'm not apt to hit it again soon, so I wonder if
                >anyone has kept the treasure, and if it did actually
                >have any bad results.

                            It happened to me once. The hand-mage took hand of one of my explorers. I don’t remember what happened to him.