other gloranthan computer games

  • Ian Cooper
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2000
      As a bit of fun I was wondering what ideas people might have for
      other computer games set in Glorantha. For the purposes of creating
      some discussion I'm not so interested in a discussion of the
      commercial viability of such projects as what you think is creatively
      possible, funny etc.

      For example Glorantha could definetely produce a Baldurs Gate/Diablo?
      Poll of Radiance type game. How about Big Rubble - The Ruins of
      Pavis - climb the Blind King's Hill, navigate the waters of the
      Puzzle canal, cross the Troll Bridge. Based on the HW rules (strikes
      me they would make quite the game quite simple to implement), state-
      of the art graphics etc.

      Well you get the idea. Any thoughts?

      Ian
      PS Of course in the interest of actually seeing such a game if anyone
      wants to make it feel free to steal my idea :)
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2000
        Ian Cooper

        > As a bit of fun I was wondering what ideas people might have for
        > other computer games set in Glorantha. For the purposes of creating
        > some discussion I'm not so interested in a discussion of the
        > commercial viability of such projects as what you think is creatively
        > possible, funny etc.

        When Sandy Petersen worked at id, the idea of Doom set in Dorastor
        certainly was bandied about (though not to my knowledge by anyone in
        the game industry).

        At one time, there was a Dragon Pass (the military boardgame) being
        converted; I don't think it was ever finished.

        Lots of people have suggested a Praxian variant of KoDP.

        > For example Glorantha could definetely produce a Baldurs Gate/Diablo?
        > Poll of Radiance type game. How about Big Rubble - The Ruins of
        > Pavis - climb the Blind King's Hill, navigate the waters of the
        > Puzzle canal, cross the Troll Bridge. Based on the HW rules (strikes
        > me they would make quite the game quite simple to implement), state-
        > of the art graphics etc.

        I have notes for a board game set in Peloria just after the Great
        Darkness, where you go around awakening gods. Not sure how easily it
        could be adapted for the computer.

        And some ideas for a God Learner game that could only be implemented
        on a computer.

        > and more processor intensive as it is real-time. Now if it was possible
        > to license the BG engine for a Gloranthan game....but that would be
        > sacrilige as Glorantha is based upon the RQ/HQ system, whereas BG is
        > based upon the unvieldy AD&D system.

        Most people who license engines do so with the expectation that they
        will make significant technical -- and genre -- changes.

        David Dunham A Sharp david@...
        Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404 http://a-sharp.com
        Efficiency is intelligent laziness.
      • Ian Cooper
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 6, 2000
          David Dunham wrote:

          > When Sandy Petersen worked at id, the idea of Doom set in Dorastor
          > certainly was bandied about (though not to my knowledge by anyone
          in
          > the game industry).

          Quake did have a bit of a chthulu feel to it :)

          > At one time, there was a Dragon Pass (the military boardgame) being
          > converted; I don't think it was ever finished.

          Quite an obvious contender for inspiration as is Nomad Gods. The
          missing third part Masters of Luck and Death however also sounds like
          a good source of inspiration. AFAIK in MOLAD you tried to become the
          next candidate for pharoah, perhaps a Myst style game might be
          possible from it (though it would need some combat resoloution as
          well)

          > Lots of people have suggested a Praxian variant of KoDP.

          Not a bad idea.

          > I have notes for a board game set in Peloria just after the Great
          > Darkness, where you go around awakening gods. Not sure how easily
          it
          > could be adapted for the computer.

          Certainly a bit different.

          > And some ideas for a God Learner game that could only be
          implemented
          > on a computer.

          Intriguing, able to reveal more or is it under wraps.

          > Most people who license engines do so with the expectation that
          they
          > will make significant technical -- and genre -- changes.

          And I was less worried about the cost than the idea - that there
          seems no reason why Glorantha is not just a capable an environment
          for supporting this kind of game; though whether AD&D is involved in
          these projects because people want the background or the brand name
          is probably the kicker as I suspect it is the latter and that
          Glorantha does not have the same visibility (maybe in a brave new
          world...)

          I guess one of the key points is the difference between games that
          are uniquely glornathan and those that could be easily done in any
          generic fantasy setting.

          Ian