I did it!

  • Erik Nolander
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
      <de-lurking for self-indulging praise>
      ...this probably shows what skill I have in Playing Computer Games,
      but 2 months after buying KoDP, I finally won the Short Game! Hooray!
      I had an Ernaldan queen and no Trickster on the Ring, but it went
      smoothly anyway. Better catch a few hours sleep before attempting the
      Long game, though... ;)
      BTW, does anyone know if the difficulty of a HQ is affected by what
      kind of benefit you seek from it? Got the idea after reading some HQ
      stuff on the 'Net and it got me wondering.

      Cheers,

      Erik Nolander
    • Edward Bornstein
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2000
        ><de-lurking for self-indulging praise>

        Boasting is probably an Orlanthi virtue.

        >...this probably shows what skill I have in Playing Computer Games,
        >but 2 months after buying KoDP, I finally won the Short Game! Hooray!
        >I had an Ernaldan queen and no Trickster on the Ring, but it went
        >smoothly anyway. Better catch a few hours sleep before attempting the
        >Long game, though... ;)

        Congrats!

        >BTW, does anyone know if the difficulty of a HQ is affected by what
        >kind of benefit you seek from it? Got the idea after reading some HQ
        >stuff on the 'Net and it got me wondering.

        IMHO most definitely.

        My impression is that the easiest goals are the "Make the quester stronger"
        ones. (In practice at least 75% of my HQs are this one, since a stronger
        quester has a better chance of succeeding next time.)

        One of the hardest goals is the "Gain a magical treasure".

        The ones to give you a general bonus in the relevant area seem to be
        mid-range in difficulty.

        The "End a drought", peace bomb, etc. goals tend to be hard, but there
        seems to be a bonus if it's the right time for it, i.e. you had an event
        give the HQ as an option.

        In general, the more people the goal effects, the harder it is.

        Remember that each quest also a general benefit besides the named one, see
        your manual.

        My take on the difficulty of the quests, Easiest to hardest:

        Ernalda
        Storm Tribe
        Orlanth vs. Aroka
        Humakt
        Issaries
        Lhankor Mhy
        Chalana
        Uralda
        Elmal

        Your magic pointage may vary.....

        My question (which I may have asked before) is if it is possible to get
        back to the Heroquest track after getting lost in the realm of the gods or
        is getting home safely the best you can hope for?

        --
        Once is happenstance.
        Twice is coincidence.
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2000
          --- In KingOfDragonPass@egroups.com, Edward Bornstein <button@i...>
          wrote:
          > My take on the difficulty of the quests, Easiest to hardest:
          >
          > Ernalda
          > Storm Tribe
          > Orlanth vs. Aroka
          > Humakt
          > Issaries
          > Lhankor Mhy
          > Chalana
          > Uralda
          > Elmal
          >
          > Your magic pointage may vary.....

          Strangely, although I've heard this many times, the very first HQ I
          ever succeeded in was Elmal, and on the first attempt. I had failed a
          couple before that, and I've failed Elmal's HQ a number of times
          since, but I've never had the Elmali HQ-er die because of failure. On
          the other hand, I have one hell of a hard time getting the Issaries
          quest. Is it better to take helpers or contact the Gods? Neither
          seems to work for me...

          Wulf
        • KYER, JEFFREY
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2000
            Erik Nolander wrote:

            > <de-lurking for self-indulging praise>
            > ...this probably shows what skill I have in Playing Computer Games,
            > but 2 months after buying KoDP, I finally won the Short Game! Hooray!
            > I had an Ernaldan queen and no Trickster on the Ring, but it went
            > smoothly anyway. Better catch a few hours sleep before attempting the
            > Long game, though... ;)

            Congrats! The Long Game has a nifty ending.

            > BTW, does anyone know if the difficulty of a HQ is affected by what
            > kind of benefit you seek from it? Got the idea after reading some HQ
            > stuff on the 'Net and it got me wondering.

            I do believe it is. The closer the benefit is to the original, the
            better you are. I always have a total failure any time I try to cheer
            up the Carls with Ernalda Feeds The Tribe.

            And getting items seems to be more difficult. But I could be wrong.

            Jeff
          • Barry Brenesal
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 4, 2000
              > I do believe it is. The closer the benefit is to the original, the
              > better you are. I always have a total failure any time I try to
              > cheer up the Carls with Ernalda Feeds The Tribe.

              I wonder if there are several factors at work. These could include
              the composition of your council; the choice of god you first
              worshipped; 3) the size of worshipping structure you've built to a
              god; the number of sacrifices you've sent to that god; time of year;
              candidate; your tribal actions (how many farmers you've got, how many
              raids you've performed, etc).

              I've no idea how many of the above are included in determining ease
              or difficulty of a quest for any particular god. But I do know that,
              given my own playing style, the Chalana Arroy quest is almost always
              the easiest, followed by Ernalda and Uralda, then Issaries and
              Lhankor Mhy, and finally all the more-or-less warlike quests.
            • Stefan Kalgraf
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 4, 2000
                >>BTW, does anyone know if the difficulty of a HQ is affected by what
                >>kind of benefit you seek from it? Got the idea after reading some HQ
                >>stuff on the 'Net and it got me wondering.

                In my experience, no. (the chalana arroy "peace bomb" hardly ever fails for me, anyway. Certainly no more than any other goal on that quest.)

                The biggest factor for success IMHO, is the skill of your nobles. For instance, try doing the uralda quest with a woman with decent combat skill (I.e not an uralda worshipper)
                Doing this I actually finished this quest more often, since most of my fatalities came from the "biting things".

                oh, and since everyone seems to be doing it....(I was surprised at some of the rankings I saw..)

                easiest to hardest:

                Storm tribe, Chalana,
                Lhankor mhy.
                Issaries
                Orlanth vs Aroka
                Elmal
                Uralda

                No real difference between the "top two".

                http://im.yahoo.com