3695Re: [KoDP] Digest Number 885

  • James Casey
    Aug 8, 2014
      Its interesting to see the differences and similarities in the way people approach this game.

      I tend to take a "mercantile" approach - I guess I would be an Issaries cultist in Glorantha :)

      I don't have a strict schedule, but early on I search my tula to find some special trade goods. Then I max out crafters, and rake in as many goods as possible. I spend the goods liberally, giving gifts to most of the clans that dislike me until they like me - or at least hate other people more. I keep one enemy as a raiding target to keep my weaponthanes happy. I prefer this to be someone in the Praxian direction, as I tend not to explore that way, and I prefer my explorers to not have to cross hostile land every time they go out (though I don't know if it actually makes any difference).

      Once I have friendly neighbours I spend goods sacrificing for mysteries and building some shrines. Issaries is an obvious choice for a main shrine, with whatever blessings I know; I really have no clue which is best anyway, and they all help trade. And I try to set up trade routes to keep the flow of goods up. If things are going badly I will have to trade goods for food or cattle, if they are going well I will try to trade for treasures.

      My main issue tends to be that the strategy involves a lot of travelling, which can leave you with too much to do in the first half of the year and not much to do once the weather turns. I tend to save non-travelling things like reorganizing the clan ring or sacrificing for mysteries for storm/dark season.

      I'm pretty cowardly when it comes to HeroQuests - the idea of doing one in the second year seems nigh on suicidal to me, though I guess its dangerous any time so perhaps why not? I'll usually wait until I am pretty well established and will spend a year getting everything ready (goods to sacrifice, favours, holy season magic etc).

      On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 10:05 AM, <KingOfDragonPass@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      3 Messages

      Digest #885
      1a
      Early game procedure by peter_knutsen
      1b
      Re: Early game procedure by "Meredith Dixon" hebeti
      1c
      Re: Early game procedure by "Bryan Thexton" bethexton

      Messages

      Thu Aug 7, 2014 3:44 am (PDT) . Posted by:

      peter_knutsen

      I'm trying to wrap my head around how best to play the first few years of the game. Obviously it's situational, but here are some of my general thoughts on how to use sparse 10 yearly actions I get:

      1. season:
      Re-organize Ring
      Re-organize farming (increase Farmland by about +15 units, keep pastures at 45-55)

      2. season
      Recruit maximum Weaponthanes (I can usually go from 10 to 14 or 15)
      Built Watch Tower (the cheapest fortification, but based on the description it's very useful)

      3. season
      Send Emissarry to Clan that owes me favour, ask for Magic, customary amount (gives +3 if they have it)
      Sacrifice for desirable Mystery-Blessing

      4. season
      Build/enlarge Temple if possible (Humakt, Vinga Chalana or Uralda, or Issaries)
      Explore tula

      5. season
      Sacrifice for desirable Mystery-Blessing

      Explore tula

      Desirable Blessings:
      Truesword (Humakt) - Weaponthanes are double strength (yay!). It's problematic that he has 4 Blessings and a HQ to randomly pick, so only 20% chance of getting this one, but I think it's worth the pursuit.
      Pathfinder (Vinga) - better explorers
      Fyrdwomen (Vinga) - I've come to like this one (usually I have this one on perma, and sacrifice for a temp. Pathfinder a little less often than once per year)
      Calf Blessing (Uralda) - cows reproduce more/are healthier. Very high priority
      Market (Issaries) - more profit from Clan's Market, which is constantly useful
      Trading (Issaries) and Silvertongue (Issaries) - also desirable but a bit less so than Market, since early game I don't send Traders and Emis much.
      Tracking (Odalaya) - also helps explorers, but less than Pathfinder, so lower priority
      Curing & Healing (Chalana Arroy) - two useful effects, very nice to have but not urgent.
      Protection from Spirits (Ancestors) - nice to have, but not urgent
      Sense Chaos (Urox) - also not urgent, but useful
      Shield (Elmal) - reduce battle casualties

      In the end, all Blessings are useful for some things, but the above are the ones I think matter most for early game, perhaps especially Truesword regardless of whether Clan Type is Peace, Balanced or War. Having twice the warrior-strength is always good. Later in the game I'd like to have a maxed Issaries temple (the Spare Grain blessing doesn't strike me as useful, but the other 3 are nice) and if possible also a maxed Lankor Mhy temple (all his 3 blessings are useful, but in terms of priority I'd choose Issaries first, no contest), but having 2 Great Temples seems to only be possible with a larger-than-usual population or if one is in a Tribe.

      2nd year
      1. season

      Send Emisarry to ask for Magic (+3 if successful)
      Send Trader to trade to get more Cows (trade away Food, or if Horses captures from Horse-Spawn then trade away Horses, or if low on Food then trade Cows for Goods, needing the Goods to unlock more Blessings)

      2. season
      Sacrifice for desirable Mystery-Blessing
      Raid someone. Might as well get it over with (send big plunder-raid group to pink/red Clan, preferably a nearby one - long-term they'll be my punching bag)

      3. season
      Recruit more farmers (based on having 1 step more land than needed - with a larger population it's possible to have more temples and thus more perma-blessings, although it seems as if once I go Tribe I can have as many temples as I desire)
      If possible, send Emissary to Gift a lot of Food (I tend to give for 101 units) to a clan, preferably not one that too near the red (as they're likely to decline, thus the action is wasted)

      4. season
      Sacrifice for desirable Mystery-Blessing
      Sacrifice for desirable Mystery-Blessing (yeah, always a lot of those!)

      5. season
      Explore tula
      If extra Farmers have arrived, adjust Farmland/Pasture. Otherwise explore tula.

      3rd year
      1.

      Send explorers to Kero Fin (in my experience, this usually causes something nice to happen)
      Send Emisarry to ask for Magic (usually you get +3 units)

      2.
      Send Trader to sell off something, usually Horses for Cows or Goods (usually a Large caravan means you sell off about 16 horses)
      Sacrifice for desirable Mystery-Blessing

      3.
      Sacrifice for desirable Mystery-Blessing

      Explore tula (expert explorer ought to be back from Kero Fin by now)

      4.
      Look into Clan/Population/Farming, probably adjust number of Hunters down. Or if Farmers from last year only recently arrived, adjust Farmland/Pasture now.
      Explore tula

      5.
      Explore tula
      Explore tula (by this stage at least 3 of the 5 crafter-buffing resources have hopefully been found, ideally 4 or even all 5, so that I'll get more Goods)

      4th year it's probably useful to try to sacrifice to learn a HQ Mystery. I've had lots of success with Orlanth (the Storm Tribe thing), and a bit with Chalana Arrory, but failed miserably the two times I tried Uralda. With an Orlanth tribe the Storm Tribe HQ is fairly apt so done in 5th year (I opt to boost my leader, and in addition it also seems to give about +12 Magic, which is very sweet). Also must remember to do one more raid, to keep Clan Magic good (in 2nd season, Fire Season). Otherwise, just explore, maybe do Kero Fin once more, and keep trying to unlock Blessings and build shrines and temples.

      How does the above look, as a vague plan?

      I know I'm not making good use of the 3 "travel-friendly" seasons; that I probably ought to do more Trader and Emisarry tasks, but early game I just don't have much to offer the other Clans. If I manage to slay a bunch of Horse-Spawn then yes I'll have 3 Large Caravans to trade Horses for Cows or Goods, but if not I have little to give away save a modest amount of food some of the time. I don't want to give away Cows at all, and I need my Goods so that I can sacrifice to the various gods and unlock Blessings so I can built temples and get them permanently.

      Also, what's a good benchmark for how many Horses I must have? I figure my Ring is under 20 people, I usually have 15-25 weaponthanes, and a bunch of Noble who are none of the above, but I'd like to have a better sense for how free I am to trade away Horses for Cows or Goods (or Food in an emergency), but I don't want to cripple my ability to recruit more weaponthanes. All I know is that if I manage to butcher a Horse-Spawn I'll get 45-55 Horses and that's the equivalent of 3 Large Caravan-fulls, plus they probably have some opportunity to breed before that since I don't send off 3 caravans in parallel, but spread it over most of a year.

      Secondly, which gods likes Cows as sacrifices? I know it's better to sacrifice Goods, but in the early game I have a metric buttload of Blessings I'd like to unlock and very few Goods to spare, so taking 42 or 63 mooing ones from the herd to unlock 2 or 3 Blessings might be worthwhile. The sooner I unlock my favourite Blessings, the better.

      --
      Peter Knutsen

      Thu Aug 7, 2014 9:04 am (PDT) . Posted by:

      "Meredith Dixon" hebeti

      Personally, I put max initial magic into Mysteries and Health. My first
      action is always to reorganize my ring. Then I readjust the amount planted
      until the amount to be harvested stops going up, even though that makes the
      farmers complain that they're being overworked. After that I build a
      watch tower and hire max weaponthanes (even if I'm a Peace Clan). Then I
      readjust crafting to give me a surplus of goods (for sacrificing for
      mysteries) and send out as many hunters as my land will support (I always
      begin with Huge Tracts, Much More Than Needed, so that's a lot).

      After that I start learning mysteries. My first one is always Pathfinder.
      My second is one of Uralda's blessings; I prefer Calf Blessing but I'll
      take Milk Blessing. I can learn about three mysteries a year as long as I
      put full magic into it at Sacred Time, so I do that. Once I have
      Pathfinder, I alternate sacrificing for mysteries and exploring, but I
      never send out my Bargainers; I know they're the best explorers but they're
      also the most valuable ring members I have. I send out the elderly and
      those with lower skills.

      --
      Meredith Dixon <dixonm@...>

      Thu Aug 7, 2014 2:01 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

      "Bryan Thexton" bethexton

      My procedure varied somewhat with my major god and peace or
      balanced (for whatever reason, despite the very many clans I created, I’ve
      never done war).  First few seasons are
      pretty much fixed, however.

      First action is to adjust field/pasture sizes and crop mix, and
      save while still on that screen.  That is
      a small exploit (at least on the windows version) that keeps it from consuming
      an action.  In the first year I’m willing
      to bend the spirit of the game a little bit to get things going faster.  Then I build a watch-tower, then recruit max
      weaponthanes. (all of that in Sea Season).

      In fire season I’ll generally sacrifice to Odayla (I’m
      aiming for Sureshot, but will take tracking), and either max out my hunters
      (for population/available forest) or mount a cattle raid, or re-organize the
      ring (depending on expected harvest, military strength, quality of current war
      leader…).

      In earth  I send a
      reasonably strong exploration team to the Dragon newt wilds, and add hunters or
      reorganize the ring, if I haven’t done those yet.  Assuming the exploration team finds the
      dragon newt statue I send them back with the leader who has high animals, with
      the best mix of combat and magic, along with 3 warriors and 3 farmers (this
      might be superstition, but that balanced team seems to me to succeed more
      often, I think animals helps when dealing with dragon newts, magic may, and
      combat helps if they have to fight their way out).  I like the treasure that helps in many small
      ways.

      In Dark I explore the tula with a few warriors and max
      farmers.  If my old enemy is winter I’ll
      cattle raid for the (hopefully) point of magic you get for doing that.  If that isn’t my ancient enemy I’ll fix up my
      crafters.

      Storm in the first year is the catch-up season.  Fixing the ring, recruiting more weapon-thanes
      or farmers, building a shrine to Odayla, occasionally another attempt at a blessing…

      Second year is key, because that is when I try to do my
      first heroquest!  (assuming a plausible
      quester of my main god—by far easiest for Ernalda).  Yep, that early, so assign magic
      appropriately.  In sea season send a
      party to explore Kero Finn.  Assuming the
      usual result of finding the wind spirits, tell a nearby clan that I want to get
      along with, and they’ll reward us with quite a bit of magic.

      In fire usually make sure patrols are strong, and sacrifice
      to my main god.  Learning a new blessing
      is good, but mostly I always sacrifice to them before questing.  In earth explore in the Quivin mountains,
      where they will find a mighty Wyrm.
      Attack it, or send trickster to get its treasure (depending if I’m
      hostile of friendly to dragons).  This
      one is so key, really changing how the early game flows—if successful you get a
      pile of goods, allowing a couple of fortification builds in the next couple of
      years and easing the pressure on getting Issaries blessings and trade routes
      up.  Also get some magic.

      In Dark season do a cattle raid if enemy of winter, else
      explore the tula.  Then heroquest
      time.  Odds are by far the best if
      Ernalda is our main god, but it is possible with a good quester on the others.  Also Ernalda is the best early game quest to
      complete, as the general effect increases food and cattle for a few years, and
      usually I go for cattle fertility as the specific benefit (occasionally crops
      if food is looking grim).  Succeeding at
      this generally helps the early game economy, since after a couple of years I
      can typically start trading food for goods and cattle, and gives a big boost to
      magic that makes everything easier for a while.
      For Elmal will look for help when we are attacked, for Orlanth to either
      strengthen the quester or strengthen our warriors.

      After that, priorities are to
      -          build up fortifications (reduces disasters),
      -          get Odayla’s Sureshot and Orlanth’s Thunderstone
      blessings up, after which focussing on skirmishing/kill as many as possible
      will let us win the war of attrition with anyone we are feuding with.
      -          Which makes getting Earthblood up a good idea,
      too.
      -          Generally building up the magical part of our
      military (quests to strengthen leaders or warriors, getting a humakt blessing
      or two up, etc)
      -          If I can get the Ernalda quest (if I didn’t
      start with it) and have a good quester for it, I’ll aim to run it every 3-4
      years, circumstances permitting, to keep crops and cattle fertility high and
      keep up our magic.  Can use to make the farmers
      happy, really boost cattle fertility, makes the elves happy (they give you some
      goods in response, at least in my experience), so it really does help address a
      lot of possible early game problems.
      -          Learn blessings.
      Curing and healing, Protection, Issaries, LM, Sense Chaos, and Uralda’s
      cow blessing are generally my priorities (beyond a baseline of war and crop
      magic).
      -    Get Market locked in with a shrine, and get the extra trade routes up and running.  More trade is even better, but that is the top priority.
      -          Learn heroquests!  Look for opportunities to do them :)  Especially learn Making the Storm Tribe, which
      is another relatively easy one with a decent quester.  Use it to strengthen Leadership, and to help
      relationships with neighbors, and again to help magic.  As I have more variety, aim to do one every years,
      ideally.
      -          Choose my preferred tribe mates, and put on a
      charm offensive.  Send gifts, propose
      alliances, build trade routes, do things I think they’ll like (build a temple
      to their god, for instance).
      -          Each year explore the tula once and explore a
      new space once.
      -          Typically around the time that tribe making is
      getting close, I try to seize lands from the feuding clan that I’ve been
      picking away at.  It may take a while to
      make it stick, so I start before the land situation is too dire.
      -   Also around that time, I may build a great temple (an extra magic point each year, and impresses people)

      It has been a while since I've played, so I may have forgotten something

[...]

      Community e-mail addresses:
        Post message: KingOfDragonPass@onelist.com
        Subscribe:    KingOfDragonPass-subscribe@onelist.com
      List/archive URL: