What do we tell our children?

  • yvonne@gsn.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2001
      What Do We Tell Our Children?
      Thoughts from the Rev. Meg Riley
      Director, UUA Washington Office
      September 11, 2001

      What do we tell our children?
      We listen. We hold them. We tell them, "I love you." "Love is
      forever."

      If they are very young, pre-school aged, tell them, "Parents and
      teachers keep children safe."

      Listen. Hold them. Tell them, "I love you." "Love is forever."

      If they are old enough to be aware that this happened, but not really
      to understand the specifics of what happened, ask them, "What do you
      think? How does your body feel?" Then listen to their specific
      feelings and reassure them. Don't answer questions they don't ask,
      but do listen for the questions behind the questions. They may want
      to be reassured that there are grownups who love them and will take
      care of them, no matter what. Tell them, "Let's not watch TV tonight;
      let's go to church and be with our people!"

      To read full article, please go to:

      https://www.uua.org/news/91101/mriley.html