Tarek ibn Ziyad

  • ttaylor9587@qwest.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2001
      As Salaam Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,
      I am looking for stories about Tarek ibn Ziyad. If anyone knows any
      or knows where I might be able to find out more about him I would
      really appriciate it if they could let me know. My sons name is
      Tarek and I was hopeing to try to inspire him a little with these
      stories. Also if anyone knows about any other good muslims by this
      same name that would also be welcomed. Jazakallahu Khair
      Fi Amaan Illah
    • janice
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 6, 2001
        Asalamu Alaikum
        I didnt see any Tarik's on the list...but you may find a Tariq in some of
        the stories.
        http://geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/9684/Sahabah-Index.htm

        http://www.umr.edu/~msaumr/reference/companions/
        > As Salaam Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,
        > I am looking for stories about Tarek ibn Ziyad. If anyone knows any
        > or knows where I might be able to find out more about him I would
        > really appriciate it if they could let me know. My sons name is
        > Tarek and I was hopeing to try to inspire him a little with these
        > stories. Also if anyone knows about any other good muslims by this
        > same name that would also be welcomed. Jazakallahu Khair
        > Fi Amaan Illah
        >

        > Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim
        >
        > Surah 51:56
        > Wama Khalaqtul Jinna Wal Insa ILLa liya'a buduun.
        > And I (Allah) have not created the jinn and mankind except that they
        should worship Me (alone).

        > mode.

      • UmmTariq
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 7, 2001
          assalamu alaikum

          There are two accounts of the Muslim conquest of Spain, translated into
          English, in _Medieval Iberia: Readings from Christian, Muslim and Jewish
          Sources_, ed. Olivia R. Constable (1997). Both refer to Tariq.

          Ihave not read the book, but it is published by Doubleday I think.
          wassalam
          NicoleUmmTariq

          > As Salaam Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,
          > I am looking for stories about Tarek ibn Ziyad. If anyone knows any
          > or knows where I might be able to find out more about him I would
          > really appriciate it if they could let me know. My sons name is
          > Tarek and I was hopeing to try to inspire him a little with these
          > stories. Also if anyone knows about any other good muslims by this
          > same name that would also be welcomed. Jazakallahu Khair
          > Fi Amaan Illah

          mode.

        • UmmTariq
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 7, 2001
            here is some more info...

            Two sources on Tariq are the Arabic *Kitab Futuh Misr* of Ibn 'Abd al-Hakam
            (various editions out there: check WorldCat for the specifics), and the
            Latin "Anonymous Chronicle of 754." Translated passages from both, with
            complete bibliographical citations for the originals, can be found in the
            nice anthology edited by O. R. Constable, MEDIEVAL IBERIA: READINGS FROM
            CHRISTIAN, MUSLIM, AND JEWISH SOURCES (Philadelphia Univ. of Pennsylvania
            Press, 1997).

            I found this during a web search
            wassalam
            Nicole Ummtariq

            > As Salaam Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,
            > I am looking for stories about Tarek ibn Ziyad. If anyone knows any
            > or knows where I might be able to find out more about him I would
            > really appriciate it if they could let me know. My sons name is
            > Tarek and I was hopeing to try to inspire him a little with these
            > stories. Also if anyone knows about any other good muslims by this
            > same name that would also be welcomed. Jazakallahu Khair
            > Fi Amaan Illah

            mode.

          • M. Sabr
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 7, 2001
              As-Salaamu 'alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh.

              Maybe you could search under the Muslim's rule in Spain as I think Tariq was
              the one who lead the army that conquered Spain. It is said that Jabraltar
              is actually named after him "Jabal Taariq" (the Mountain of Taariq).

              Fee amaanillaah.

              Your sister, Mariam

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim
              >
              > Surah 51:56
              > Wama Khalaqtul Jinna Wal Insa ILLa liya'a buduun.
              > And I (Allah) have not created the jinn and mankind except that they
              should worship Me (alone).

              > mode.

            • K Kalifah
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 8, 2001
                Assala mu alaikoum,

                I got the information on Tariq ibn Ziyad in “My Book of Islam” book 5 by
                The Council of Muslim Communities of Canada, ISBN 0-88628-022-2

                Om Abdulrahman

                ____________________________________

                Lesson 23: Tariq ibn Ziyad

                Back in the 8th century, Spain was ruled by a cruel king. His name was
                Roderick. Another man ruled a state in Spain. His name is Count
                Julian. King Roderick has taken Count Julian’s daughter away from him.

                Count Julian had to find a way to get his daughter back. He told the
                king that her mother was very ill. He said that she would die if she
                did not see her daughter. The king finally agreed.

                “When you visit us again,” said King Roderick to Count Julian, “do not
                forget to bring an African Eagle”.

                “Your Majesty,” replied Julian, “I will bring eagles the likes which you
                have never seen.” But Julian planned revenge on the king. What he
                really meant by eagles was soldiers. The king did not know this.

                Count Julian went to North Africa. There, he met the muslim governor
                Musa ibn Nusair. He asked for help to fight King Roderick. Musa agreed
                that Spain should be freed from the evil king.

                In 711 A.D., the muslim fleet landed at Gibraltar. Gibraltar is a small
                rocky hill on the southern part of Spain. The fleet carried 7000 Berber
                Muslims. Their commander was a young Muslim named Tariq ibn Ziyad.

                On the shore, Tariq gathered his soldiers. What he said to them has
                been become a famous speech:

                “Brothers, we come here to bring justice and destroy evil and hatred.
                This is the land of God. We will fight until we win or die. We fight
                in the path of God. We are going to burn our ships so that there will
                be no way to go back”.

                When all the ships were burned, Tariq went on, “Now brothers, the enemy
                is before you and the sea is behind you. There is no retreat. Let us
                have trust in God. Let us advance and fight until we win or die as
                martyrs”.

                King Roderick heard of the invading Muslims. He sent an army of 100,000
                men to meet them. Musa ibn Nusair had sent another 5,000 soldiers to
                help Tariq’s army. Now there were 12,000 Muslims this was still a small
                number compared to King Roderick’s army, but they fought bravely.

                Seven days passed. Neither side was winning. Then, on the eighth day,
                King Roderick was killed. This was too much for his army. They
                surrendered. Julian had his revenge and Islam had spread further.
                Gibraltar was named after the young brave Muslim commander, Tariq. It
                was called “Jabal Taariq” in Arabic.