The Fast Of David - There Is No Better Fast Than That

  • DDN
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2007

      Shaykh Muhammad Muhammad Saalim ‘Abd al-Wadood

      The Prophet sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said to ‘Abd Allaah b. ‘Amr b. al-‘As: “Fast one day and break your fast one day. This was the fast of David (Dawood) ‘alayhissalaam, and it is the best of fasts.”

      ‘Abd Allaah b. ‘Amr then said: “I can do better than that.”

      The Prophet sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam replied: “There is no fast better than that.” [Saheeh al-Bukhaari (1840)]

      This hadeeth shows us that a Muslim might wish impose upon himself something that is not recommended in Islam – and maybe even disliked or unlawful – thinking that he is doing something virtuous and good.

      Oftentimes, a Muslim – when he wants to repent from a serious sin or turn over a new leaf in life – will swear a vow to engage in some heavy regimen of worship. A common oath is: “I swear to fast this entire year without missing a day.”

      This is very ill-advised.

      First of all, there is no need to swear a vow. It is indeed very good for a person who repents to regard his sins as something serious. This is a sign of faith.

      The Prophet sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said: “A believer sees his sins as if he is standing beneath a mountain that he fears is about to fall on top of him. A wanton sinner sees his sins as if they were like a fly that settles on his nose that he can easily shoo away.” [Saheeh al-Bukhaari (6308) and Saheeh Muslim (2744)]

      Likewise, it is very good for a believer who has sinned to devote himself to extra worship, since good deeds can cover up for evil ones.

      Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta’aala says: “And establish prayer at the two ends of the day and at the approach of the night. Indeed, good works do away with evil deeds. That is a reminder for those who take heed.” [Soorah Hood: 114]

      The Prophet sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said: “Indeed, good works do away with evil deeds.” [Saheeh al-Bukhaari (526) and Saheeh Muslim (2763)]

      The Prophet sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said: “Fear Allaah wherever you are. Follow up a bad deed with a good deed and it will blot it out. And deal with people in a good manner.” [Sunan al-Tirmidhi (1910)]

      However, swearing a vow to obligate oneself to the worship is not the way to go about it. We are not advised to swear vows. We should simply do more good deeds seeking Allaah’s grace and mercy.

      The Prophet sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said: “A vow will not change what is determined in the least. It is merely a way of getting deeds out of a miser.” [Saheeh Muslim (3096)]

      As for fasting every day of the year, this is an extremely bad idea for three reasons:

      1. It implies fasting on the days of ‘Eed and the days of tashreeq.

      The days of ‘Eed are days in which fasting is forbidden.

      ‘Umar radhiallaahu ‘anhu said: “There are two days that the Messenger sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam forbade fasting on: the day when we break our Ramadhaan fasts, and the day that we eat during the sacrificial rites.” – meaning ‘Eed al-Fitr and ‘Eed al-Adhaa respectively. [Saheeh al-Bukhaari (1990)]

      Aboo Sa‘eed al-Khudree said: “Allaah’s Messenger sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam forbid fasting on ‘Eed al-Fitr amd ‘Eed al-Adhaa.” [Saheeh al-Bukhaari (1991)]

      The days of tashreeq – the 11th, 12th, and 13th of Dhul al-Hijjah – are days which are prohibited for fasting except for people in some very particular circumstances.

      The Prophet sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said: “The days of tashreeq are days of eating and drinking.” [Saheeh al-Bukhaari (1926)]

      2. Fasting every day for a full year is overly stern and excessive.

      This is not what Islam seeks after. Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta’aala wants us to be constant in our devotions rather than excessive.

      Once the Prophet sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam came to ‘Aa’ishah radhiallaahu ‘anha and found that there was a woman with her. He asked ‘Aa’ishah who the woman was. ‘Aa’ishah radhiallaahu ‘anha mentioned her name and mentioned how much the woman was observing prayer. The Prophet sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said: “You should rather do what you are capable of.” [Saheeh al-Bukhaari (43)]

      The Prophet sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said: “The most beloved of works to Allaah are those which are performed with constancy, even if those works might be minor.” [Saheeh al-Bukhaari (5983) and Saheeh Muslim (1305)]

      3. The Prophet sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam clearly and unambiguously negated any virtue to fasting more than the fast of David ‘alayhissalaam.

      We read in Saheeh al-Bukhaari (1840):

      The Prophet sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam was informed that ‘Abd Allaah b.‘Amr b. al-‘As had said: “I swear by Allaah! I will fast and I will spend my nights in prayer as long as I live.”

      The Prophet sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam questioned him about it and said: “You will not be able to do that. Fast at times and abstain from fasting at times. Pray at night and sleep. Fast for three days a month, for truly every good deed is rewarded tenfold, so three days a month is like fasting every day.”

      ‘Abd Allaah b.‘Amr said: “I can do better than that.”

      The Prophet sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said: “Then fast for one day and refrain from fasting for two.”

      ‘Abd Allaah b ‘Amr again said: “I can do better than that.”

      The Prophet sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said: “Fast one day and break your fast one day. This was the fast of David ‘alayhissalaam, and it is the best of fasts.”

      ‘Abd Allaah b. ‘Amr then said: “I can do better than that.”

      The Prophet sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam replied: “There is no fast better than that.” [Saheeh al-Bukhaari (1840)]

      We should, therefore, fast according to one of the fasting regimens set forth for us by the Prophet sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam. We can adopt any of the regimens we wish among those that are established by the Sunnah.

      One of these which is not mentioned in the above hadeeth is to fast on Mondays and Thursdays. Usaamah b. Zayd said: “O Messenger of Allaah! You fast until it seems you will never cease fasting. And you abstain from fasting until it seems that you will not fast again – with the exception of two days. If they come during your fasting regimen (good and well), and if not, you fast them (anyway). Which two days are these?”

      The Prophet sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam responded: “Monday and Thursday. They are the two days in which deeds are presented to the Lord of the Worlds, and I like it that my deeds are presented while I am fasting.” [Sunan al-Nasaa’i (2358) and Sunan Abi Dawood (2436)]

      Regardless of which fasting regimen you might adopt, do not swear a vow to observe it. Do not put yourself into needless difficulty that Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta’aala does not wish to impose upon you. If difficulties arise, or some invitation comes up, or you simply become physically weak as you age, then you will not have any problem abstaining from a fast.

      We can take a valuable lesson in this from the very same ‘Abd Allaah b.‘Amr b. al-‘As who, as we have seen, chose to adopt the most difficult fasting regimen possible for himself. When he grew old and his strength waned, he lamented: “If only I had taken the concession that the Prophet sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam was giving me back then.” [Saheeh al-Bukhaari (1839)]

      http://www.islamtoday.com/showme2.cfm?cat_id=31&sub_cat_id=1427

                                                                                          K a r i m a - DDN