Fw: Fw: [KidsIslamicStories] Fwd: Cry for Help (attachment)

  • Yasmin Kabir
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2003
      Salaamualaikum,
      I appreciate the response by Kim (um Yusef) and understand her standing,
      yet really and truly, deep down, have we done enough? Yes, we have to
      look out for our nearest community first, but should we also not extend
      ourselves, even if a little bit, to those outside the nearest
      community?...they are still our brothers and sisters. To unite the ummah
      we have to feel for every living (and those passed away) member of this
      magnificent ummah of our beloved Prophet (PBUH). A Muslim dying in
      Palestine should bring pain in our hearts, a Muslim starving in India
      should bring tears in our eyes, a sick Muslim child in Guatemala should
      spring us into action and urge us to help, a Muslim home destroyed in
      Iraq should keep us awake at night...... Most of us can do more. It is a
      matter of how much we want to do it. I am not trying to say that our
      Muslim sisters and brothers are not doing a lot, and often they are
      stretched tight. Our community here in Rochester NY is the same way....we
      volunteer hours and hours at the Islamic Center, donate what ever we
      can....yet, I think we can do more...and remember our Prophet (PBUH)
      promised that if you donate to charity your wealth it will NOT decrease,
      it will increase... Even a $50 or $10 donation can add up. And the
      spirit of giving...is a tremendous thing...very catchy...very
      unifying...not to mention rewarding. So I would urge that the brothers
      and sisters in this mailing group, insha Allah donate at least $10 (or
      even $1.00 as a show of support and participation) to the Saskatoon
      Mishbah School. Attached is once again the information regarding the
      school. Lets make a difference, let the power of network bring Saskatoon
      community close to our home, insha Allah.
      Salaam,
      Yasmin Kabir.

      From: Wajahat Khan <wajahatkhan99@...>
      >Subject: Cry for Help (attachment)
      >Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 01:05:58 -0700 (PDT)
      >
      > Dear brothers and sisters in Islam,
      >
      >Assalamoalaikum warahmatullahi wabaraka tuhoo;
      >
      >All praises be to Allah, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the Worlds. May
      >peace and blessings be upon his servant and Messenger Muhammad (SAW) and
      on
      >his household and all of his Companions.
      >
      >Alhamdulillah the Saskatoon Misbah School (SMS) has started its fourth
      year
      >of operation with the new board members and also hope to achieve the
      >associate status this year from the Saskatoon Board of Education
      >(InshAllah). Please read the attached letter from the SMS Board
      regarding
      >the financial help that is urgently needed. Please donate as much as you

      >can. Please forward this email to others. Please check our website for
      any
      >further information regarding the school at http://www.misbah.sk.ca
      >
      >Jazaakum Allahu Khairan,
      >
      >Wajahat Khan

      http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/bcomm&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.
      msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca

      Teach and talk as you learn Arabic.

      Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim

      Surah 51:56
      Wama Khalaqtul Jinna Wal Insa ILLa liya'a buduun.
      And I (Allah) have not created the jinn and mankind except that they
      should worship Me (alone).

      mode.

    • Hassan Scott Odierno
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2003

        Assalamualaikum,

        A quick question for the people on this group.  How do you teach children to salat, for the sake of loving the salat and hating to miss it?  My son is 9.  He sees me going to the mosque and my wife and I praying together, but so far I haven't pushed him to salat.  I want him to salat out of love for it, not because he is forced.  Any ideas?

        Thanks in advance.  On other matters, heres some links to islamic websites for kids.  Anyone have similar websites they can share with me?

         http://members.tripod.com/islamickids/index.htm

        http://www.muslimhomeschool.com/mhsnr/ED/academics.htm

        http://homepages.tig.com.au/~umm_pub/ChildrnPlyrms.html

        http://www.islam101.com/dawah/course101.html

        http://www.islam101.com/onlineTests/index.htm

        http://www.muslimhomeschool.com/games/index.htm

        Thanks in advance & have a good fasting month.

        Hassan

        "Those who dance are considered insane
        by those who can't hear the music."

        George Carlin

        p.s. want to see our homepage? It is at www.geocities.com/muslimactuary/home

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Caressa
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2003
          Message

          Walaikum Salam

          I don't know about at this age. The thing is to start out early so they enjoy it and know that when they get older they will have to as well and to tell them why we pray to God etc. My son turned 3 just after I converted and now he is nearly four. Around Christmas I will have been Muslim for one year. From the beginning John has been learning about prayer and Islam and sometimes he wants to pray with me and loves going to the mosque though it's not often. I met my husband last January and we married 3 weeks later. He sometimes takes him to the mosque and John participates in prayer at family functions etc. He is still learning Al-Fatihah but he does a pretty good job and follows lead sometimes but knows to be quiet and not to walk in front of others if he isn't praying/quits early etc. At least he is 9 and likely still pre-puberty which gives you time to instill good habits in him. I think at this age though you could teach the values and importance of it and what makes it good etc. And teach him about personal prayer and supplications (Dua) as well if you haven't already which will help make it more special. To me that is one thing that really distinguishes our prayer and makes it so special is that we have the structured prayer just for God without our words and then ours at the end or seperate. Don't know if I am making sense, anyway I wish I could give more advice, I hope it helps.

          Caressa

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2003
            assalaam walaikum
            i'm not a parent but i know of some things that people do.
            one sister i know keeps a chart for the week and month of how salaat her two children do.  the oldest does most of them and then the youngest doesn't care until the end of the week comes and he sees that his sister gets all of the rewards and he doesn't get any or gets less than her---then he goes and tries to make up all of the ones he missed.  it's cute the way she does this, subhan'Allah.  they love to pray and find any chance they can to get the rewards at the end of the week-the oldest is about 7 or 8 and the youngest is 5 or 6.  insha'Allah that can be some help to you.  the rewards can be anything that the child desires the most, like an icecream outing or a new toy or a tripi to the zoo or something.
            may Allah reward you for all of the good that you do for you children, ameen.
            ramadan mubarak
            salaam

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2003
              Re: [KidsIslamicStories] teaching children salat Assalamu’alaikum....

              Teaching children to solat is like introducing any new ideas to kids. It has to be fun and motivative...ie they should be shown the enjoyment of it. You may have to exagerate your passion for solat so that your children notice...and never show them your reluctance to pray as if it is such a difficult thing to do.
              I suppose by the time a child is 9, he or she would understand more abstract things, so maybe you could sit down and explain the concepts of pahala, rewards and the logic of why prayer is important. When my daughters were younger, we used to invite them to pray with us without wudhu’ and in whatever clothes they were in. We taught them Fatihah & the Quls from young, so they usually followed us in prayer..esp Maghrib. Now my daughter who is seven,  can read all the recitations in the prayers - alhamdullillah. However, she did not always read the recitations. SO I explained to her,that prayer is like calling Allah to express your thanks and your gratitude for all the things you have in this world. It’s like making a phone call to your parents to ask for a favour ...usually you will ask nicely and politely. And if you do not recite the doas, it is like you calling your mummy but not saying anything. How would your mummy know what you want or that you are calling out of love or to say thank you. I also remind her that praying or doa is the most powerful weapon that you have ie you can ask Allah for anything good and if you deserve it Allah will give it to you.

              To one extent, I made prayer like a game....eg Pre game is learning the Fatihah. Level one is playing with water ie wudhu’, level two  is just playing solat ..may it be one rakaat or just 2. Level 3 is following and completing the actions of solat with parents ie Maghrib. Level 4 is performing the solat with wudhu’ - extended to praying Zohor or Asar or Isya’. Level 5 is praying with recitations( this is a long level coz many recitations to learn)..it may be a good idea for you to sit next to the child while she prays and read the recitations to her while she prays. Level 6 is actually completing 5 times a day  and Level 7 is doing it the adult way independently..ie complete with aurat-covering clothes and recitations. My daughter has added Level 8 ie to remember to pray.......

              And like in any game, rewards are necessary.....the older they get, the more abstract the reward.

              I also like to remind my kids that even if  I do not see them and watch them the whole day, Allah always sees what you are doing and saying, may it be in your heart....so you must be truthful in all you do.....

              And the saying goes that you have to ask your children to pray at 7 and scold them harder by the time they are 10 ( excuse me not being able to quote the actual ayat...).

              This may not be a perfect method, but it has worked so far...may Allah guide me & all the parents in protecting our families from hell-fire...

              Ina ali
            • Naghma Husain
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 2, 2003
                I made my daughters(6 years old) a weekly prayer chart
                (and a seperate ramadan chart) that looks a grid with
                five prayers and seven days of the week. I bought
                them beautiful stickers. They put a sticker in the
                appropriate box for every prayer they do during the
                week. They LOVE doing this and look for any family
                member praying so that they can pray along and put a
                sticker. They even insisted I wake them for Fajr!
                You can even give a reward at the end of the week. I
                also allowed them to decorate the chart with glitter
                glue. Remember to always reinforce that Allah is
                happy them when they do this.
                --- Hassan Scott Odierno <muslimactuary@...>
                wrote:

                > Assalamualaikum,
                >

                > A quick question for the people on this group. How
                > do you teach children to salat, for the sake of
                > loving the salat and hating to miss it? My son is
                > 9. He sees me going to the mosque and my wife and I
                > praying together, but so far I haven't pushed him to
                > salat. I want him to salat out of love for it, not
                > because he is forced. Any ideas?
                >
                > Thanks in advance. On other matters, heres some
                > links to islamic websites for kids. Anyone have
                > similar websites they can share with me?
                >
                > http://members.tripod.com/islamickids/index.htm

                http://www.muslimhomeschool.com/mhsnr/ED/academics.htm

                http://homepages.tig.com.au/~umm_pub/ChildrnPlyrms.html

                > http://www.islam101.com/dawah/course101.html
                >
                > http://www.islam101.com/onlineTests/index.htm
                >
                > http://www.muslimhomeschool.com/games/index.htm
                >
                > Thanks in advance & have a good fasting month.
                >
                > Hassan

                > "Those who dance are considered insane
                > by those who can't hear the music."
                >
                > George Carlin
                >

                > p.s. want to see our homepage? It is at
                > www.geocities.com/muslimactuary/home

              • ~Ameena~
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 2, 2003
                  asalamu alaikum

                  Although, I started teaching my children about Islam when they were older
                  (13, 11, 8, 6 and 4) I am thankfully blessed that the three older ones
                  started praying on their own after a talk at the local Masjeed. (about a
                  year or so after they were first taught about Islam) In the Madressa, one of
                  the teachers were talking about the rewards of prayer and the seriousness of
                  not performing daily salat. This encouraged my kids to pray.
                  My younger two children, after seeing their siblings praying regularly began
                  as well. However the youngest one was the last to join in just this Ramadan.
                  I kept telling her that she would be joining us in prayer by the time
                  Ramadan came so she was expecting it....and was ready.

                  Sometimes it is the message from "outside" (madressa, other Br. or Sr.s
                  ,etc) that actually fires up the sense of obligation for prayer.
                  Also, examples of folks (not necessarily specific people) who are not on
                  the Islamic path can be used as GENTLE reminders that we do NEED prayer in
                  our daily lives. I don't mean scaring them into it...but by pointing out
                  that lack of guidance early on could lead to some unwise choices....it might
                  make them think about it.
                  Using this approach and contrasting a non-prayer to someone who is
                  practicing Islam, praying and all... to show the difference in lifestyle,
                  contentment, peace, etc. just might lead to the desired results without
                  resorting to reward charts....as this, in itself, might produce some
                  undesirable results. I know it is standard/norm in schools and homes these
                  days...but research does show that it is not the most effective long term
                  methodology.

                  masalama,
                  Ameena

                  | I made my daughters(6 years old) a weekly prayer chart
                  | (and a seperate ramadan chart) that looks a grid with
                  | five prayers and seven days of the week. I bought
                  | them beautiful stickers. They put a sticker in the
                  | appropriate box for every prayer they do during the
                  | week. They LOVE doing this and look for any family
                  | member praying so that they can pray along and put a
                  | sticker. They even insisted I wake them for Fajr!
                  | You can even give a reward at the end of the week. I
                  | also allowed them to decorate the chart with glitter
                  | glue. Remember to always reinforce that Allah is
                  | happy them when they do this.
                  | --- Hassan Scott Odierno <muslimactuary@...>
                  | wrote:
                  | >
                  | > Assalamualaikum,
                  | >

                  | > A quick question for the people on this group. How
                  | > do you teach children to salat, for the sake of
                  | > loving the salat and hating to miss it? My son is
                  | > 9. He sees me going to the mosque and my wife and I
                  | > praying together, but so far I haven't pushed him to
                  | > salat. I want him to salat out of love for it, not
                  | > because he is forced. Any ideas?
                  | >
                  | > Thanks in advance. On other matters, heres some
                  | > links to islamic websites for kids. Anyone have
                  | > similar websites they can share with me?
                  | >
                  | > http://members.tripod.com/islamickids/index.htm
                  | >

                  | http://www.muslimhomeschool.com/mhsnr/ED/academics.htm
                  | >

                  | http://homepages.tig.com.au/~umm_pub/ChildrnPlyrms.html
                  | >
                  | > http://www.islam101.com/dawah/course101.html
                  | >
                  | > http://www.islam101.com/onlineTests/index.htm
                  | >
                  | > http://www.muslimhomeschool.com/games/index.htm
                  | >
                  | > Thanks in advance & have a good fasting month.
                  | >
                  | > Hassan
                  | >

                  | > -------------------------------------------------
                  | > "Those who dance are considered insane
                  | > by those who can't hear the music."
                  | >
                  | > George Carlin
                  | >

                  | > p.s. want to see our homepage? It is at
                  | > www.geocities.com/muslimactuary/home

                  | Exclusive Video Premiere - Britney Spears
                  | http://launch.yahoo.com/promos/britneyspears/
                  |

                  | Teach and talk as you learn Arabic.
                  |
                  | Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim
                  |
                  | Surah 51:56
                  | Wama Khalaqtul Jinna Wal Insa ILLa liya'a buduun.
                  | And I (Allah) have not created the jinn and mankind except that they
                  should worship Me (alone).

                  | mode.

                • Hassan Scott Odierno
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 2, 2003
                    thanks to everyone for the good suggestions.  I think I will start the weekly chart with stickers, and have some sort of rewards / allowance per salat.  I'm not completely convinced it teaches the love for salat, but it definitely will make it enjoyable for them, which is definitely a step in the right direction.  He's quite young for his age (maturity wise) so I haven't pushed him up to now.  I like the idea of carrot and stick approach, with the carrot now, and save the stick for a few years time, when its really really necessary for him to start in earnest.

                    Thanks again.

                    Hassan

                    wrote:

                    > Assalamualaikum,
                    >

                    > A quick question for the people on this group.  How
                    > do you teach children to salat, for the sake of
                    > loving the salat and hating to miss it?  My son is
                    > 9.  He sees me going to the mosque and my wife and I
                    > praying together, but so far I haven't pushed him to
                    > salat.  I want him to salat out of love for it, not
                    > because he is forced.  Any ideas?
                    >
                    > Thanks in advance.  On other matters, heres some
                    > links to islamic websites for kids.  Anyone have
                    > similar websites they can share with me?

                    http://members.tripod.com/islamickids/index.htm

                    http://www.muslimhomeschool.com/mhsnr/ED/academics.htm

                    http://homepages.tig.com.au/~umm_pub/ChildrnPlyrms.html

                    > http://www.islam101.com/dawah/course101.html
                    >
                    > http://www.islam101.com/onlineTests/index.htm
                    >
                    > http://www.muslimhomeschool.com/games/index.htm
                    >
                    > Thanks in advance & have a good fasting month.
                    >
                    > Hassan

                    > "Those who dance are considered insane
                    > by those who can't hear the music."
                    >
                    > George Carlin
                    >

                    > p.s. want to see our homepage?  It is at
                    > www.geocities.com/muslimactuary/home

                    Teach and talk as you learn Arabic.

                    Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim

                    Surah 51:56
                    Wama Khalaqtul Jinna Wal Insa ILLa liya'a buduun.
                    And I (Allah) have not created  the jinn and mankind except that they should worship Me (alone).

                                           mode.

                    "Those who dance are considered insane
                    by those who can't hear the music."

                    George Carlin