Aladdin blue flame

  • meomy4utoomuch
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 8, 2007
      Can anyone share their thoughts on the aladdin blue flame heater?

      As you guys know I'm trying to get my "feet wet". My use would be in
      the shop. Don't think it would be wise to have something in the living
      area w/o tip over devices. That is a different search, walking away
      from all the heaters at the discount stores. been there and done that
      & just don't want the new junk.

      manythanks

      scott
    • Norm Howe
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 8, 2007
        Scott and all,

        The round green Aladdin BlueFlame is a great heater. I would use a lot of caution in a shop if you're doing ANYTHING flammable. Even fine saw- or sander-dust from woodworking will be sucked into the flame at the bottom and come out as ash at the top. As with any unvented combustion heater, be sure there is some fresh air in the room. Most heater instructions say one square inch of opening to each 1000 btu. I think the BlueFlame is rated about 9kbtu wide open. And unlike the Perfection heaters, the BF can be turned down. As long as the flame is completely blue, the combustion is complete and will be odorless with good fresh K1 kero.

        If I am not mistaken, the later models of the BF do have snuffers as do the late Perfections. The snuffers can be more of a nuisence than an asset, however. Seems like all the ones I have been around either didn't work at all or worked much too well.

        There are always BlueFlames on eBay but I don't know model #s of the newer ones.

        I have several other UK-made Aladdin heaters in my collection but haven't used any but the the old {WWII vintage} green one.

        I hope K1 is cheaper where you are than here. Don't know what it is in the filling stations. But I paid $3.60/gal. from the distributer here. Not much used here. A few die-hards with Kerosuns and contractors with those blow heaters.

        Anyone else have any words on this???????

        Norm

          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 8, 2007
            Hi Norm and all,
            I agree with you 100%    Also the snffers are more troublesome than they are worth.  I finally removed the snuffer in my heater and glad to do away with the problem of it extinguishing itself when least needed or expected.

            I also have a small Aladdin Temp-Rite. This has a perforated burner, that glows red, and reflects radiant heat.  I find this more efficient than the round green (blue flame) but, the Temp-Rite is very odorous when first started, and also when extinguished.  Therefore, I usually start it outside, and bring it in when the burner is heated to full radiance.  It also has a touchy spring device that will quickly lower the wick and put out the flame if bumped or jarred.  I realize it is a safety feature, but at times, it is a nuisance.

            Bruce Arnold

            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 8, 2007
              I see I am going to be the odd man out on this one..
              I like the looks of the Aladdin heaters and the blue
              flame is neat. And granted that they are inherently
              more safe to leave than a perfection type flame
              heater. However to my nose the long term fume from
              the heater is of a nature I find more offensive than
              the perfections when burning well. I know it seems
              odd that the little blue flame that aladdin used would
              have a different odor but some how it does.. I recall
              a few years ago finding one of those tall brown
              porcelain round Aladdins from the 40's I think. I
              cleaned it all up, put in a new wick and after using
              it a few times empty it out and sold it. Might just
              be me though..

              The first time I purchased one, and it was new at the
              time, was after working with a lady that had lived in
              England and those little Aladdins were the only heat
              source in those cold old homes she had lived in. I
              had to try it.

              Larry

              --- meomy4utoomuch <meomy4utoomuch@...> wrote:

              > Can anyone share their thoughts on the aladdin blue
              > flame heater?
              >
              > As you guys know I'm trying to get my "feet wet". My
              > use would be in
              > the shop. Don't think it would be wise to have
              > something in the living
              > area w/o tip over devices. That is a different
              > search, walking away
              > from all the heaters at the discount stores. been
              > there and done that
              > & just don't want the new junk.
              >
              > manythanks
              >
              > scott

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • milesstair
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 9, 2007
                Blue Flame instructions owner's manual is here -
                http://www.milesstair.com/Blue_Flame_Instructions.html , and more
                information on flame spreader heaters is here -
                http://www.milesstair.com/FLAME_SPREADER_LAMPS_AND_HEATERS.html

                No flame spreader heater can equal the efficiency of a catalytic
                converter heater, but they can burn clean and be a lot of fun.

                Miles

                --- In
                KeroseneHeaterandStoveCollector@yahoogroups.com, "meomy4utoomuch"
                <meomy4utoomuch@...> wrote:

                > Can anyone share their thoughts on the aladdin blue flame heater?
                >
                > As you guys know I'm trying to get my "feet wet". My use would be in
                > the shop. Don't think it would be wise to have something in the
                living
                > area w/o tip over devices. That is a different search, walking away
                > from all the heaters at the discount stores. been there and done that
                > & just don't want the new junk.
                >
                > manythanks
                >
                > scott

              • Bruce Arnold
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 12, 2007
                  A friend gave me his Aladdin blue flame heater, saying it had a strong odor when burning.  I later learned that he burned it with a very low flame.  This explains strong odors of kerosene heaters.  They need to be burned at medium to high flame to prevent the problem.   The same is true with Perfection heaters, and most kerosene burning stoves and lamps.

                  Bruce Arnold

                  <meomy4utoomuch@ ...> wrote:

                  > Can anyone share their thoughts on the aladdin blue flame heater?
                  >
                  > As you guys know I'm trying to get my "feet wet". My use would be in
                  > the shop. Don't think it would be wise to have something in the
                  living
                  > area w/o tip over devices. That is a different search, walking away
                  > from all the heaters at the discount stores. been there and done that
                  > & just don't want the new junk.
                  >
                  > manythanks
                  >
                  > scott

                • meomy4utoomuch
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 12, 2007
                    Thanks guys, Norm, Bruce, Larry & Miles... very good advice.. until I
                    can run across one of the more desirable ones, Perfection etc.. blue
                    flame might just be the ticket for right now. Good quality kero is
                    hard to find here in east tn, seems everything has a slight yellow
                    tint, so-called K-1.. It has played a number on my lamps & lanterns I
                    enjoy playing with..

                    again manythanks

                    scott
                  • knig8391@bellsouth.net
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 12, 2007
                      Where are you in East Tennessee Scott. I live in East Tennessee as well. It's nice to know there are other collectors in the area. I am in Dayton between Chattanooga and Knoxville.

                      From: "meomy4utoomuch" <meomy4utoomuch@...>

                      > Thanks guys, Norm, Bruce, Larry & Miles... very good advice.. until I
                      > can run across one of the more desirable ones, Perfection etc.. blue
                      > flame might just be the ticket for right now. Good quality kero is
                      > hard to find here in east tn, seems everything has a slight yellow
                      > tint, so-called K-1.. It has played a number on my lamps & lanterns I
                      > enjoy playing with..
                      >
                      > again manythanks
                      >
                      > scott

                    • Larry Hollenberg
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 12, 2007
                        I agree with the K1 issue, why it is off color as well
                        as carbons up badly many time is a mystery to me.
                        Something must not be up to par with the quality
                        standards.. It used to be said that high quality
                        kerosene would not leave much carbon on wicks. I
                        can't run a lamp more than a few days, if that before
                        it has eighth inch or more of carbon on it thats rock
                        hard.. I know it didn't use to be that way?

                        --- knig8391@... wrote:

                        > Where are you in East Tennessee Scott. I live in
                        > East Tennessee as well. It's nice to know there are
                        > other collectors in the area. I am in Dayton between
                        > Chattanooga and Knoxville.

                        Be a better friend, newshound, and
                      • meomy4utoomuch
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 12, 2007
                          I just found my clear kero at knox farmers co-op, 8 gal @ 3.79 a gal.
                          They said it came out of south Carolina. I have no clue what it would
                          be called in other places, farmers co-op has been around as long as I
                          can remember. Homedepot has the stay-klean kero sub, 5 gal for 36
                          bucks I think. Also ace hardware has the gal of super clean kero for
                          $8. Never buy any out of bulk tanks until late fall, early winter or
                          after a few good cold nights/days. Yes, crystal clear with far less
                          problems.

                          I live in North knoxville, in the hills of east tn, where one leg is
                          shorter then the other & if you fall it might take a month until you
                          stop..

                          scott

                          ______________

                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 12, 2007
                            We have a farmers co-op here and I have no idea why I didn't think of them. I have several places here in town to get kerosene but if coop has a better product I will certainly try them.
                            I love my kerosene heaters. I use the Electric Oil Co. one in my bathroom and it puts out wonderful heat. I have an 1888 Grand that I need to restore but haven't found time yet. I am also interested in the Rayo lamps. Has anyone had much success with them?

                            From: "meomy4utoomuch" <meomy4utoomuch@...>

                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 12, 2007
                              At one point I had a number of fine rayo lamps in use.
                              I used to think they were extra smelly, but as Bruce
                              noted some things work better at a fuller flame and
                              rayo lamps are no exception. It takes a pretty good
                              flame but they will become close to odorless, if you
                              turn them down much they can be stinky at best. But
                              they do make a nice light. I think however for the
                              amount of oil they manage to go though in an evening
                              the newest brass #3 lamp burner is almost a more
                              sensible choice. There were some new 3's about 10
                              years ago that were poorly made and kept falling apart
                              but the new solid brass one is pretty good and puts
                              out a decent light.
                              I also discovered the local Agriculture supplier, its
                              where I am getting my dyed #1 diesel for my Duo therm,
                              it works pretty good, but I don't know about using it
                              in a wick item?

                              Larry

                              --- knig8391@... wrote:

                              > We have a farmers co-op here and I have no idea why
                              > I didn't think of them. I have several places here
                              > in town to get kerosene but if coop has a better
                              > product I will certainly try them.
                              > I love my kerosene heaters. I use the Electric Oil
                              > Co. one in my bathroom and it puts out wonderful
                              > heat. I have an 1888 Grand that I need to restore
                              > but haven't found time yet. I am also interested in
                              > the Rayo lamps. Has anyone had much success with
                              > them?

                              Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                            • meomy4utoomuch
                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 13, 2007
                                I will only use that non-water clear kero only in extreme
                                desperation.. late last winter there was no clear to be found. That
                                slightly tinted K-1, I spoke about earlier, was it. That stuff caused
                                all kinds of problems in my lanterns & house pressure lamps. The
                                generators are expensive & went thru a few. I have two embury barn
                                type lanterns that I restored, Painted University of Tn orange, that
                                I burn everytime UT plays, (they needed all the help they could
                                get!!), using this tinted kero & from what I can tell, the wicks
                                still look good as new.. Some folks posted about the smell & I am
                                guessing, that most of my problems, over the yrs, with the odor, just
                                might be coming from this low quality kero. I have tried to purchase
                                jet-A from the airports with no success.. The thought never hit me
                                about our co-op, just 3miles away. We have a Rayo somewhere. Wife &
                                I can't remember what we did with it. This will brother me until I
                                find it. Only have 200+ lamps and lanterns laying around here..

                                scott

                              • knig8391@bellsouth.net
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 13, 2007
                                  Sounds like you and your wife are very fortunate to have all those lamps. I will be interested to hear of your experience with the co-op. I also plan to contact my co-op today and will let the group know what they say about the kerosene.

                                  From: "meomy4utoomuch" <meomy4utoomuch@...>

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 13, 2007
                                    I just contacted our local co-op in Dayton, Tennessee and they do not sell kerosene. Jeff

                                    From: knig8391@...

                                    > Sounds like you and your wife are very fortunate to have all those lamps. I will
                                    > be interested to hear of your experience with the co-op. I also plan to contact
                                    > my co-op today and will let the group know what they say about the kerosene.

                                    > From: "meomy4utoomuch" <meomy4utoomuch@...>
                                    > >
                                    > > I will only use that non-water clear kero only in extreme
                                    > > desperation.. late last winter there was no clear to be found. That
                                    > > slightly tinted K-1, I spoke about earlier, was it. That stuff caused
                                    > > all kinds of problems in my lanterns & house pressure lamps. The
                                    > > generators are expensive & went thru a few. I have two embury barn
                                    > > type lanterns that I restored, Painted University of Tn orange, that
                                    > > I burn everytime UT plays, (they needed all the help they could
                                    > > get!!), using this tinted kero & from what I can tell, the wicks
                                    > > still look good as new.. Some folks posted about the smell & I am
                                    > > guessing, that most of my problems, over the yrs, with the odor, just
                                    > > might be coming from this low quality kero. I have tried to purchase
                                    > > jet-A from the airports with no success.. The thought never hit me
                                    > > about our co-op, just 3miles away. We have a Rayo somewhere. Wife &
                                    > > I can't remember what we did with it. This will brother me until I
                                    > > find it. Only have 200+ lamps and lanterns laying around here..
                                    > >
                                    > > scott

                                    > > > http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

                                    > > ______________
                                    > > > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                                    > > > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
                                    > > http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

                                  • Larry Hollenberg
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 13, 2007
                                      Our Co-op doesn't carry actual k1 either. I think it
                                      is because most of the reason they have #1 died diesel
                                      is to keep the regular diesel from thickening in
                                      winter. They did pick up a load of kerosene which I
                                      was able to get in on last spring when one of there
                                      regular large customers needed some and they went out
                                      of there way to get it. Do you have no regular oil
                                      dealers around? That is where I usually got mine. I
                                      just didn't care for the new owner which is a company
                                      in a town about a half hour away and are not nearly as
                                      service oriented as the old owners were. You could
                                      call and always get service within a day at the most.
                                      Not true of the local propane or the new dealer in
                                      oil. Places just don't run like they used to.

                                      Larry

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 14, 2007
                                        Here, the k-1 kerosene does have a slight yellow color.  It is all I can find, and so far it has been satisfactory.

                                         Its the red stuff you have to watch out for!
                                        I think it is time we, that use and need good kerosene start to complain loudly about the crap they are trying to sell us!

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 14, 2007
                                          Well Scott, it sounds like you have quite a collection of lamps and lanterns.
                                          One thing I would like to mention is odors from lamps may not be caused by the fuel, but the style of burner and size of chimney.
                                          Just because a chimney fits a burner, does not mean that the burner will burn at top efficientcy and burn odorlessly.    During a recent power outage, I lighted a lamp in my bedroom and was nearly over-come with the kerosene odor.  Then I remember that I had changed the burner from a #2 size to a #3 size when I last cleaned and refueled the lamp. (every six months)  When I changed back to a #2 burner, the same fuel was in the lamp bowl,  but this time there was no odor as it burned.
                                          The size of the throat of a lamp chimney is important too, to insure a proper draft for the burner.    Some burners simply burn "stinky"  Others do not.
                                          For some reason I have never had much success with burning kerosene barn lanterns inside the house.
                                          Of course there are people who fill a lamp, to have on hand, and never use it for years, and then wonder why the lamp emits a terrible smell.  If a lamp is not used regularly, or stored more than six months, it should be emptied of fuel, and the font, burner and wick thoroughly cleaned.  I use a product called Dawn Power dissolver. It works wonders on encrusted lamp fonts and burners.  The lamp wicks, I wash in strong detergent, rinse several times in warm water, and rinse with white vinegar for the final rinse, and let the wick dry.  (I read that in an old book on care of lamps. Not sure how good it works, but it does no harm)
                                          The clue to having good results with a kerosene burner is to have everything extremely clean and use the best quality kerosene you can find.
                                          Expensive lamp oil, is a waste of money and sometimes can do more damage than good.

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Dec 21, 2007
                                            Well I brought one.. she should be here soon.. plans are to give her a
                                            good going thru. Hope I don't have to do any painting, can't stand
                                            rust. Any suggestions, besides a wick & a good cleaning??

                                            scott
                                          • Larry Hollenberg
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Dec 21, 2007
                                              Scott,

                                              Although I haven't owned one in many years, as I
                                              recall a wick cleaner is a very handy item that is
                                              still available should yours not have one. It cleans
                                              the wick and tapers it at the same time, something
                                              that needs to be done regularly to keep a nice flame.
                                              Does your heater have the manual with it? Somewhere
                                              I have an original and I suppose if I would get my new
                                              computer hooked to the printer again I could post that
                                              on our group site.

                                              Larry

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Dec 21, 2007
                                                    Don't ask me how that double post got out.. might be a one of those
                                                    little elfs I seen this morning....

                                                    Thanks guys.. She is being shipped in, hope sometime before first of
                                                    the yr.

                                                    I am sure there will be a ton questions..

                                                    Bruce, I wanted real bad to order a wick & have it on its way by the
                                                    time the heater gets here.. I may need other parts also

                                                    Larry, yes, I need two wick cleaners. The older I get, the more I
                                                    purchase. I call it the "Law Of Average",, Hence... I average not
                                                    remembering where I put it.. Can these wick cleaner still be
                                                    purchased??

                                                    scott
                                                  • Bruce Arnold
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Dec 22, 2007
                                                      Hi Scott,
                                                      I have never used a wick cleaner.  Just a piece of cloth, or paper towel to smooth the wick, and remove any char or carbon deposits.

                                                      All kerosene burners must be very clean to to give satisfactory burning.  Get some  "Dawn" Power dissolver, spray it on a grimy burner and the crud will usually rinse away.

                                                      As for the wicks, be very careful when ordering one, as some look exactly right, but the lugs that are riveted to the side of the wick do not line up with the wick carrier.  The last wick I ordered, was like that and it took me forever to un-rivet the lugs, and re-position them.  The wick works fine, but it was a big pain in the ass to get it to fit the carrier.

                                                      Another important item:  Never burn the heater in an enclosed area, such as a small bathroom, or vehicle.   Kerosene heaters depend upon a good supply of oxygen or they will smoke, not burn properly and could asphixiate you.
                                                      Never leave on going all night or unattended.  We had a big fire in town a few years ago. A woman left her kerosene heater going, when she went to the store.
                                                      While she was gone, her cat climbed up the Christmas tree, tipping it over on top of the heater. The damage was extensive, and killed the cat.

                                                      Another woman had frozen pipe in her bathroom. Thinking she would concentrate the heat to speed the thawing, she closed the bathroom door and left the heater going.  An hour later she opened the door and EVERYTHING had a thick coating of black soot.  It has been several years, and there are still traces of soot!!!!

                                                      Above all, be careful!

                                                      If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.