I was naughty......

  • Chad Fernandez
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 15 1:22 PM
      I just re-fueled inside. It's cold and snowing outside, so I took the
      heater and fuel can, and siphon into the kitchen where the floor is
      vinyl. After refueling I put the siphon ends into a paper towel, and
      carried it outside, then the kerosene can. Then I cleaned the area
      where I may, or may not have dripped, and put the paper towels in the
      toilet. I lit the heater in the livingroom, and carried the can and
      siphon the rest of the way to the garage...... yes, I left the house!

      Chad Fernandez
      Michigan, USA
    • Larry Hollenberg

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 15 2:42 PM
          Paper towels in the toilet are not to be allowed.  They don't disintegrate like yoile paper does.
        • gvasale
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 15 2:44 PM
             I'd better check for typos more often.   Looks like I made one, but you know what I mean.
          • luvmestoves
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 15 2:47 PM
              Not a stove-related comment, but...... Ditto for Kleenex in the toilet.  It is almost indestructable except when you blow your nose in one..............

              smokystover

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 15 3:03 PM
                Hmm, I usually throw it in the toilet when I have something flammable on
                it, or worse yet linseed oil that can spontaneity combust. I could see
                paper towel taking awhile to break down, but I'd think Kleenex would
                break up fairly quickly.

                I've never heard of either being not wanted in the sewer. I have heard
                grease is bad, as it clogs up lines.

                Chad Fernandez
                Michigan, USA

              • John @ Granite Country Computer Repair
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 15 3:06 PM
                   For those with septic systems, anything other than toilet paper is not a good thing.

                  Sent from my iPad

                  On Dec 15, 2013, at 5:03 PM, Chad Fernandez <chad.fernandez@...> wrote:

                  Hmm, I usually throw it in the toilet when I have something flammable on
                  it, or worse yet linseed oil that can spontaneity combust. I could see
                  paper towel taking awhile to break down, but I'd think Kleenex would
                  break up fairly quickly.

                  I've never heard of either being not wanted in the sewer. I have heard
                  grease is bad, as it clogs up lines.

                  Chad Fernandez
                  Michigan, USA

                  On 12/15/2013 05:47 PM, buck_iii@... wrote:
                  > Not a stove-related comment, but...... Ditto for Kleenex in the toilet.
                  > It is almost indestructable except when you blow your nose in
                  > one..............
                  > smokystover
                  >
                  > Paper towels in the toilet are not to be allowed. They don't
                  > disintegrate like yoile paper does.

                • Dan Morrison
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 15 4:41 PM
                    If you can safely maneuver the heater, the bathtub or shower is a good drip-catcher.  You can fit heater and fuel in a bathtub.

                    A little kerosene will not hurt a septic system.  Public sewer? Far less effect than the fats and oils we put down the kitchen drain, to say nothing of what we dispose of through a garbage grinder.

                    Still, handling fuel inside is something to avoid for safety's sake.

                    Dan

                    "Honor, justice, and humanity, forbid us tamely to surrender that freedom which we received from our gallant ancestors, and which our innocent posterity have a right to receive from us. We cannot endure the infamy and guilt of resigning succeeding generations to that wretchedness which inevitably awaits them if we basely entail hereditary bondage on them." Thomas Jefferson, Declaration of the Causes and Necessities of Taking up Arms, July 6, 1775

                    On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 4:22 PM, Chad Fernandez <chad.fernandez@...> wrote:

                    I just re-fueled inside. It's cold and snowing outside, so I took the
                    heater and fuel can, and siphon into the kitchen where the floor is
                    vinyl. After refueling I put the siphon ends into a paper towel, and
                    carried it outside, then the kerosene can. Then I cleaned the area
                    where I may, or may not have dripped, and put the paper towels in the
                    toilet. I lit the heater in the livingroom, and carried the can and
                    siphon the rest of the way to the garage...... yes, I left the house!

                    Chad Fernandez
                    Michigan, USA

                  • Curt Wuollet
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 15 5:33 PM
                      Even the wrong toilet paper can be a bad thing with a septic tank.

                      Regards

                      cww

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 15 5:52 PM
                        Oh, I didn't think of that difference. I've got city sewer...... which
                        costs more than my water!

                        Chad Fernandez
                        Michigan, USA

                        On 12/15/2013 06:06 PM, John @ Granite Country Computer Repair wrote:
                        > For those with septic systems, anything other than toilet paper is not
                        > a good thing.
                      • Chad Fernandez
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 15 6:05 PM
                          It would be a little cramped. I think it may actually increase the
                          chances of a spill. The kitchen is pretty safe, any way. It's not like
                          kerosene will readily soak into vinyl. Normally, I fill the heater on
                          the cement steps out front, and even, then I don't loose more than a few
                          drops from the siphon, because I have a rag handy.

                          For me the biggest thing with safety is making sure I pay attention, and
                          don't spill, stick my hand in a running saw blade, fall, etc.

                          Chad Fernandez
                          Michigan, USA

                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 15 6:17 PM
                            you don't want anything that might encourage a blockage. Having a drain snaked is no fun. A rag went down the toilet here, once. Major backup & expense. It wasn't a large rag either. slightly larger than a wash cloth.

                            In a message dated 12/15/2013 8:51:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, chad.fernandez@... writes:

                            Oh, I didn't think of that difference. I've got city sewer...... which
                            costs more than my water!

                            Chad Fernandez
                            Michigan, USA

                            On 12/15/2013 06:06 PM, John @ Granite Country Computer Repair wrote:
                            > For those with septic systems, anything other than toilet paper is not
                            > a good thing.

                          • Dan Morrison
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 15 6:18 PM
                              Even toilet paper - floats on top.  We recently had about 20 years of toilet paper floating on the septic tank contents pumped out.  It was over one foot thick. It seemed dry, like you could set fire to it, though I would not dare....;-)

                              The floating paper did not affect the effluent in the drain field - it was just something to clean out.  Not a local environmental impact, and I neither know nor ask where the pumpage is disposed of.

                              About 20 years ago we lived across the road from a farm.  The owner had a septic pumping business, and emptied his tank on his field.  Seems there was no law preventing such at the time.

                              Fortunately the field was down wind from the farm we lived on....

                              Dan

                              > For those with septic systems, anything other than toilet paper is not
                              > a good thing.

                            • techeditor2
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 15 9:18 PM
                                We are on Septic and have used Scott brand for decades with no problems.

                                Greg
                              • Curt Wuollet
                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 15 10:06 PM
                                  Or Northern, but the newer fluffier versions can clog.
                                  There is no small septic problem.

                                  Regards

                                  cww