Updating A Perfection Heater For The 21st. Centuary

  • techeditor2
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 12, 2013
    The two things a Perfection heater needs are a longer burn time and a fan to distribute the heat better. The first I am working on and the second one is done. As you already know, these heaters are great at heating the ceiling and eventually the heat tinkles down to the middle of the room but never truly reaches the floor. Check out the attached images of the fan I am now employing. ZERO heat comes out of the top of the unit. ALL of the heat produced is sent downward at a 45 deg. angle to the floor and across the room. This a U.S.Military "Kettle" fan for use on the tent stoves. As you can see it also works just fine for a kerosene convection heater. It is powered by a thermoelectric generator which spins the 12" fan at up to 450 cfm.
    The upsides are the heater is now much more effective with the heat staying in the lower half of the room instead of up at the ceiling. The top damper must be open for maximum performance. I have tested the unit to a surface temperature of 700 deg. F. with no ill effects. The "Kettle" fan just spins faster. Standing right next to it, you can barely hear it run. Walk into a room with this combo operating and you can feel the difference immediately.
    The downsides are without a modification, that I am working on, this "Kettle" fan can not be utilized on a heater without the brim cap on top. The newer tops, w/o the damper can not operate with anything on top of the heater. The draft flow is reduced and the heater will smoke like a lugging diesel truck! This means, no 525M, M1, all the 700 series and up can not be used as the heat source until I work out the details of a stand off for the heater to restore correct draft flow to the chimney. Second is the cost. These things are EXPENSIVE! BUT WORTH EVERY PENNY compared to the tiny thermoelectric fans sold for wood stoves. Some of them can't take the high heat a Perfection convection kerosene heater is capable of throwing out. An extensive Internet search yielded $250.00, from http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/, which is $80.00 less than most everywhere else.
  • techeditor2
    Message 2 of 2 , Dec 27, 2013
      The fix to allow the use of the Military Thermo-electric fans with the newer style Perfections eluded me for quite awhile until during the power outage of Christmas's ice storm, I tried various methods to get the fan to work on the new style heaters, specifically the Firelight's so I could have both heat (on the floor) and light. Apparently it is as simple as pirating the brim cap and handle from an unusable old style heater and placing it on top of the existing cap. This seems to force the fan's air away from the heater and not disturb the burn. Simple, yet effective.Something similar could also be fabricated instead of an original  brim cap.
      So, I guess my theory about reduced flow and running rich was all wrong. It is all about disturbing the burn.
      As a side note, the military thermo-electric fans ran for 5 days keeping the house warm during the power outage and they were worth every penny in a situation like that where you need the heat on the floor not on the ceiling.

      Greg