Perfection 730 Firelight Questions

  • techeditor2
    Message 1 of 7 , May 29 9:48 AM
      All,
      I am in the process of collecting all the parts necessary to construct a 735 Firelight. I have body parts (a 735 I think) and the globe, later edition with the triangle and a Fount that while not correct, should fit. My questions are is there a ring on the bottom of the globe against the bottom section of the heater base or does it just rest on the base. At the top, the top section of the body is smaller than the globe. Is there another ring adapter here too? My body is a late model with the blued steel top like this unit here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-PERFECTION-KEROSENE-OIL-STOVE-HEATER-WITH-GLASS-GLOBE-MOD-735-NICE-/140983133565?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d33fe57d.
      Any help were would be appreciated. I have never been around a Firelight, just drooled at the images. If there are adapter rings necessary, anybody know where these can be had or how to construct new ones?

      Greg
    • Larry Hollenberg
      Message 2 of 7 , May 29 11:24 AM
        Greg,

        My porcelain firelight has a small metal rim that the lower glass sits in side of.  Not sure without dismantling it if the ring is part of the lower assembly or if its a piece that is separate and added over the glass before bolting down.  The top part simply is fitted over the upper glass where their is a slight recess that accepts the top.

        Do you have a about a fourth inch rim of metal where the glass sits on the bottom part?  If so then the glass sits in that recess.

        Larry

        Message 3 of 7 , May 29 1:54 PM
          Larry,
          I don't have a rum. I have the standard chimney depression that the globe will set into on the bottom. The top is a different story. The globe is larger than the top part of the chimney. I thought all the glass globes were the same size. The top is even smaller than the lip of the glass that is slightly smaller than the body of the globe.
          I will try to get some images tonight and post what I have gotten myself into tomorrow.
          Greg

          --- In KeroseneHeaterandStoveCollector@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

          > Greg,
          >
          > My porcelain firelight has a small metal rim that the lower glass sits in side of.  Not sure without dismantling it if the ring is part of the lower assembly or if its a piece that is separate and added over the glass before bolting down.  The top part simply is fitted over the upper glass where their is a slight recess that accepts the top.
          >
          > Do you have a about a fourth inch rim of metal where the glass sits on the bottom part?  If so then the glass sits in that recess.
          >
          > Larry
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Marty Johnson
          Message 4 of 7 , May 29 2:30 PM

            It is VERY important to have that ring before you lite that heater. If you do not, the glass will heat up too fast and will break. The ring was designed to allow the glass to heat more slowly along the bottom so if the heater is cold when you lite it, the glass will not crack. I have experience with the broken glass and wish to have you not make the same mistakes that I have.

            I have been successful with cutting a small piece of metal out of an old kerosene can and spot welding it to the correct ring size. It works well. Resist temptation – do not lite it till you have the ring made.

            Marty

            "Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum."

            I don't have a rum. I have the standard chimney depression that the globe will set into on the bottom. The top is a different story. The globe is larger than the top part of the chimney. I thought all the glass globes were the same size. The top is even smaller than the lip of the glass that is slightly smaller than the body of the globe.
            I will try to get some images tonight and post what I have gotten myself into tomorrow.
            Greg

            --- In KeroseneHeaterandStoveCollector@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

            > Greg,
            >
            > My porcelain firelight has a small metal rim that the lower glass sits in side of.  Not sure without dismantling it if the ring is part of the lower assembly or if its a piece that is separate and added over the glass before bolting down.  The top part simply is fitted over the upper glass where their is a slight recess that accepts the top.
            >
            > Do you have a about a fourth inch rim of metal where the glass sits on the bottom part?  If so then the glass sits in that recess.
            >
            > Larry
            >

            > ________________________________

          • techeditor2
            Message 5 of 7 , May 29 5:40 PM
            I managed to get the top on with a bit of effort. Please look at the attachments for what I have
            to work with to build my Firelight. Any information on the build would be helpful.
            I will have to look into constructing a bottom ring for the globe.
            Greg
          • Larry Hollenberg
            Message 6 of 7 , May 30 5:54 AM
              Greg,

              The top is as it should be. The lower base is missing the ring I mentioned and Marty says it has to have to prevent breakage.  If your unable to create one, which would seem a bit daunting to me, then perhaps another base will come along with that ring in place or a junker that has one that is complete other than being beyond repair.

              Larry

              Message 7 of 7 , Dec 19, 2013
                With all due respect to Marty on the advice I received about the heat ring for the Firelight's. I just purchased a near new 750 Firelight that had been allowed to burn until the wick was 3/8" low on one side. This wick condition produced black soot on the insides and leaving black trails coming out of every vent slot. It must have been REALLY nasty in that house way back then!
                During disassembly, the so called "heat ring" was removed with the globe. What I discovered was this ring just bands the outside of the globe at the bottom as a decoration and does NOT extend under the globe. Therefore I do not see how it provides any insulation for the globe against the heat reflector because the glass rests directly on the heat reflector in its retaining groove.
                Greg