Catalytic Filter Upgrade For Perfection Kerosene Heaters Utilizing #500 Wick Assembly

  • techeditor2
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2013
    Catalytic Filter Upgrade For Perfection Kerosene Heaters Utilizing #500 Wick Assembly.
    Parts Needed: 1-"Breathe Easy" Platinum Catalytic Filter from Miles Stair
    1-pack of 3ea 10-24x3” stainless steel pan head machine screws
    (Home Depot 30699 31561)
    3-packs of 4ea, 10-24 stainless steel nuts (Home Depot 30699 32011)
    Note: Kerosene utilized for this testing is Canadian #1 Stove Oil w/15 ppm sulphur content.
    Images will be posted in the Photo Section under “Catalytic Filter Conversion”
    Why Upgrade: Original Patent literature claims use of the "Breathe Easy" Platinum Catalytic Filter “converts un-burnt hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide and water vapor”. For more info see U.S. Patent # 4456702, June 26,1984. Reduce shutdown fumes.
    How to Upgrade: I started with a standard Platinum Catalytic Filter disc from Miles Stair. What you get is a 304 stainless steel wire mesh screen coated with a Platinum catalytic coating applied dir ectly to the screen. As delivered the disc’s hanging wires were too short, leaving the disc too far above the flame. This was not unexpected due to the fact the unit was designed for a “modern” Japanese kerosene heater. Also the hanging wires would become dislodged when the top was opened to light the burner. To move the disc closer to the flame, I drilled the wire holes larger with a 3/16” drill bit and inserted a 10-24 3” stainless steel pan head screw in each hole, retained by two 10-24 stainless steel nuts, one on the top of the disc and one on the bottom of the disc. This assembly was placed on the sloped surface surrounding the burner and burn tested. Operation of the heater, once up to temperature was unaffected. However while I had hoped the 3-legged disc would self-right itself when the chimney was swung upright, this was not the case.. The 3-legged disc was centered on the slopped shelf surrounding the burner assembly and the positions of the legs marked. Drill 3x 3/16” holes. Remove the legs from the disc and inserted through the plate and tightened with a 10-24 stainless steel nut. Each leg had a nut screwed onto its threaded shaft and the legs were bent into position for insertion through the catalytic plate. Disc now resides about 2-1/2 inch above the flame.
    Performance Evaluation: Surface temperature of the Catalytic Filter disc averaged 600°F - 650°F. Graphs lifted from the original U.S.Patent.
    The attached graphs indicate an expected reduction of Carbon Monoxide by about 85% and Hydrocarbon emissions by almost 100%.
    Observed performance showed no impact on heat output or visual impact of the flame nor Flame Spreader. Shutdown produced only a brief whiff of fumes then just decreasing clean heat until unit cooled down. Catalytic disc stayed in place during the lighting process with the chimney laid on its bail handle.
    Conclusions: The ability of the Perfection heaters utilizing the #500 wick to come up to full operating temperature quicker than a “modern” kerosene heater is an advantage. With the Catalytic filter disc in place, the unit can be shut down without filling a room with un-burnt kerosene fumes. The 11000 BTU output is perfect for supplemental heat whereas the 22000 BTU output of the larger “modern” convection heaters can be too much except in the dead of winter.
    The outlay for parts is modest and the conversion time, assuming the thru bolts of the Perfection heater can be removed to allow access to the burner plate, is under 45 minutes. If a Perfection kerosene heater will actually be utilized as it was originally designed to be operated, as supplemental heat and not a display piece, then this conversion is worthwhile. Finally this conversion does not detract from the visual appeal of these antique kerosene heaters.
    Greg Hall
    Tech Editor Productions, 2013

  • sickofitinca
    Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2013
      I have used the filters before with mixed results but think it may have been the placement of the device in the heater.

      We could also do what they have done to the modern diesel truck engine and recycle the exhaust back through the intake and then inject urea into the burning area. It's only about $20,000 to do the conversion.

      LOL, I don't think the idea will catch on too well.

      Marty

      --- In KeroseneHeaterandStoveCollector@yahoogroups.com, hmca@... wrote:

> [...]
      > wick to come up to full operating temperature quicker than a "modern"
      > kerosene heater is an advantage. With the Catalytic filter disc in place,
      > the unit can be shut down without filling a room with un-burnt kerosene
      > fumes. The 11000 BTU output is perfect for supplemental heat whereas the
      > 22000 BTU output of the larger "modern" convection heaters can be too
      > much except in the dead of winter.
      > The outlay for parts is modest and the conversion time, assuming the thru
      > bolts of the Perfection heater can be removed to allow access to the
      > burner plate, is under 45 minutes. If a Perfection kerosene heater will
      > actually be utilized as it was originally designed to be operated, as
      > supplemental heat and not a display piece, then this conversion is
      > worthwhile. Finally this conversion does not detract from the visual
      > appeal of these antique kerosene heaters.

    • Ronald Mc Clung
      Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2013
        A bit of that is odd, or could just seem to be.

        Because of temperatures necessary to burn CO (so only carbon dioxide & water vapor are released), shouldn't output temperature at the same setting escalate?

        It do, or it don't.
        Either way, ya got it goin' on by reducing fumes.  Any change in mpg?

        Happy trails
                &
        Clear sailin',

      • Marty Johnson
        Message 4 of 4 , Feb 6, 2013

          Mileage is great on the truck I drive now. I get between 6-8MPG depending on the load and road conditions. Long and flat is the best. I just took a load from Baltimore to Rochester and because of the hills only got about 6. Not bad considering the load and truck was about 78,000 pounds. 43,000 pounds of Chicken Mc Nuggets in the box and the rest was truck, trailer and fuel. The old trucks used to get between 3-4MPG and were less reliable and less horsepower. The advent of computer controlled fuel injection, the variable vane turbocharger and other innovations have made the trucks more powerful and more than doubled the fuel mileage. Changeover to CNG is coming soon.

          There is a particulate filter that catches the soot and then another injector that sends in fuel and one that sends in the urea that burns up the particulates. The temps of the exhaust are higher than the catalytic converters that they put on cars without the rotten egg smell. If you live in a smoggy city like Salt Lake City, LA or other area that holds in the smog, these trucks actually put out cleaner exhaust than the air they suck in.

          I get a few days at home right now. Time to recharge my personal batteries and say hi to the wife and pets. Then out again. I am training new students now too, oh my. . . that can be challenging at times. Teaching the driving is usually easy, teaching the rules that we have is something else.

          Marty