dude is about to gut a 1948 Duo Therm!

  • Walter
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 21, 2012
    • Marty Johnson
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 21, 2012

        Some people do not understand that sometimes the old engineering works better than the new stuff. I wish I was able to run one of the ‘old’ diesel engines prior to all of the “engineering marvels” that they put in them to make them “clean”. The new motors don’t put out the same kind of pollution that you can see now, it is different kinds of pollution that you can’t see instead. It also cuts the life of what used to be a 2.5 million mile engine before needing a rebuild to about 750,000 miles. The latest technology now uses Urea to clean the up the exhaust particulates, but it crystallizes and gums up the engine in about 100,000 miles and needs expensive maintenance which is not covered under warranty.

        New technology is not always better.

        Marty

        "They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin, 1759

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 21, 2012
          Walter,

          You at least tried to save it as it was.. I think he will find the propane not much cheaper to run especially if trying to convert that cabinet.  Not every one though finds them fascinating as we do..   It would have been nice to have saved it though.

          Larry

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 21, 2012
            There is still a chance I can get the controller, tank, burner housing( if it's not burnt out), and the damper. It will probably take time for him to do his project.

            He makes a good point, that he only camps where there are electric hookups, so he doesn't care about Kerosene heat.

            Walter

            --- In KeroseneHeaterandStoveCollector@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

            > Walter,
            >
            > You at least tried to save it as it was.. I think he will find the propane not much cheaper to run especially if trying to convert that cabinet.  Not every one though finds them fascinating as we do..   It would have been nice to have saved it though.
            >
            > Larry

          • Ron Mcclung
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 8, 2013
              SHALOM!

              That was a massive waste of a fine little stove.
              Sure hope anyone scored the innards from the guy, so they could be used another 40 years.
              Later, Ron