      As a more mature soldier, I discovered fingernail polish remover - acetone.  Might be able to soften or dissolve laquer with automotive carburetor or brake cleaner, too.   Apply fresh air to yourself though.  A solvent high isn't all it's cracked up to be.....

      As I became an old soldier, gold plated hardware was the thing.  It was kinda neat as a 2nd lieutenant to use a gold plated bar on my hat and polish until the gold plate was gone.....and I was a 1st lieutenant.......  Uniform has been hanging in the closet 14 years, and the brass is still, well, uh, gold!

      "Honor, justice, and humanity, forbid us tamely to surrender that freedom which we received from our gallant ancestors, and which our innocent posterity have a right to receive from us. We cannot endure the infamy and guilt of resigning succeeding generations to that wretchedness which inevitably awaits them if we basely entail hereditary bondage on them." Thomas Jefferson, Declaration of the Causes and Necessities of Taking up Arms, July 6, 1775

      On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 1:20 PM, Dave Lewis <dave920@...> wrote:

      I, too was wondering if there's some sort of sealer on the brass that's keeping you from cleaning it. Perhaps testing with laquer thinner and a toothbrush to see if it makes following up with polish possible.

      For brass, before polishing, it's often wise to dip in some sort of cleaner. I'm not sure what that cleaner is, but I've seen it completely brighten brass in a minute or so. I'll try to figure out what that chemical is, but I think its some dilution of phosphoric acid.

      Dave  Lewis
      in St. Louis

      From: Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@...>
      To: "KeroseneHeaterandStoveCollector@yahoogroups.com" <KeroseneHeaterandStoveCollector@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, February 14, 2014 8:11 AM
      Subject: Re: [KeroseneHeaterandStoveCollector] tarnished brass fount

      Is is possible you have lacquer sealing the brass. That will get gummy and not want to come off but keeps the brass dark.. I would fear the wire brush would be too coarse to use on the finish?

      On Thursday, February 13, 2014 11:28 PM, Ratkindler <ratkindler@...> wrote:
      I’ve got a brass fount for a Valor Junior #56 that I’m trying to clean but it’s very heavily tarnished.  A steel brush on my Dremel didn’t work, and Brasso got some of it off but most of it won’t budge.  Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning this without discolouring or damaging the brass somehow?

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic