      From: Dave Lewis <dave920@...>
      To: "KeroseneHeaterandStoveCollector@yahoogroups.com" <KeroseneHeaterandStoveCollector@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, February 14, 2014 12:20 PM
      Subject: Re: [KeroseneHeaterandStoveCollector] tarnished brass fount

      I, too was wondering if there's some sort of sealer on the brass that's keeping you from cleaning it. Perhaps testing with laquer thinner and a toothbrush to see if it makes following up with polish possible.

      For brass, before polishing, it's often wise to dip in some sort of cleaner. I'm not sure what that cleaner is, but I've seen it completely brighten brass in a minute or so. I'll try to figure out what that chemical is, but I think its some dilution of phosphoric acid.

      Dave  Lewis
      in St. Louis