Re: I won kenwood kl-888x on ebay

  • michael
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
      Well i got the kl-888x speakers. they got some damage while in route
      to me. just damage to the boxes that is. There loud but have NO low
      end bass to me. compared to my HD-77 marantz's 8 ohms or DX-9's vegas
      4 ohm's. they have bass that moves thr ground. the kl-888x sound just
      more a loud mid bass and higher speaker. Maybe it there low profile
      encloser and small ports the make them that way. Since the enclosers
      are cracked at the joints . I think i'll just make some bigger
      enclosers with a bigger ports that will let them woofers breath more
      and let them perform better i hope. I'll take a picture of them
      compared to my vegas. now the kl888x have way better highs and mid
      then the vegas.. it is a close call on the hd-77 to the high ends .
      why are the 4ohms speaks perform better at the low end bass then the
      8ohm speakers at the same vol level???
    • Christopher Ray Augustine
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10, 2006
        I have a set of KL-999Z and KL-888X, if you think these have no low
        end listen to 999X some time. They do have the low end extension,
        they just do not have it unnaturally boosted the way most people
        prefer. Usually companies offer more emphasis on low end because it
        tricks people into thinking the are better. Really, the speakers you
        have will pound if cranked with a good high power. Trust me, I have
        done it. I bought my pair from my uncle, who was once asked by the
        police to have the band turn it down.
        As much as people complain about Kenwood's speakers, I think they
        sound great. I also have a set of Sansui sp-x9700, and they suck by
        comparison.
        Depending on what you paid, I might be interested in yours, if you
        are unhappy. The cabs should be just fine with the dimensions they
        have, a bigger cab would do little if anything. Make sureto hunt out
        theile/small parameters for the woofer if you do build new ones,
        though.
        Good luck finding that.
        As for 4 Ohm vs. 8 Ohm, all other things equal it is a more
        efficient driver, so it would go to logic that it is louder and
        clearer. Less resistance means less heat, and in turn better
        performance and less coloration. Again, this is with ALL OTHER
        THINGS EQUAL.
        Hope this helped.

        --- In Kenwoodaudio@yahoogroups.com, "michael"