Need Advice

  • bkeytx2@juno.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 30, 2003
      Folks, Im about to buy myself a great Christmas Gift, its been awhile
      since I bought myself anything, but, I once borrowed a Hams TS50, and I
      fell in love with it, Love the size and all, but, I also like Icoms 718,
      now, heres my problem, Over the past week I have read post from the 718
      board and TS-50 Board, it seems that hardly anyone is having, or had
      problems with the 718, but, its a different story for the TS-50, now, I
      dont want to buy a rig and have something go wrong with it, so, would
      like to know overall what people think about the TS-50?. Is it worth
      it?...

      Brian
      N5LNL
    • rlewis@midatlanticbb.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2003
        I've had a TS50 for a number of years. The only problem I ever had was that the dial light control transistor failed. The easy fix was just to jumper it and run full brightness.
      • tunesent
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2003
          I it depends how much money you want to spend. I have both radios.
          They both are great!!!!! the 50 has no swr, so if you want to go
          mobile that's somthing else to carry. the 50 has only hf. carry
          another radio. the 50 is $640 new i think. the 706 is $759. with
          the mobile face plate kit!!!! about 100.00 to move up to the better
          model. Is it worth about 100? I think so.

          Now,if we are talking used. diffrient story.
          ts-50 are around 450-500 used.

          Dave kb6whv
        • Bill K0ZL
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 1, 2003
            There are some ts-50s that have problems, yes, but they are still a good rig.

            Find one with no distortion in RX or TX (use it a while if you can, warm it up, cool it down, etc) and one with very little "play" in the main tuning dial.

            A good 50 is worth about 450-500 bucks; if you can find one for about 350 that leaves you some room even if you have to send it in for repairs, to still have a good deal.

            I don't know about the 718.

            bkeytx2@... wrote:
            Folks, Im about to buy myself a great Christmas Gift, its been awhile
            since I bought myself anything, but, I once borrowed a Hams TS50, and I
            fell in love with it, Love the size and all, but, I also like Icoms 718,
            now, heres my problem, Over the past week I have read post from the 718
            board and TS-50 Board, it seems that hardly anyone is having, or had
            problems with the 718, but, its a different story for the TS-50, now, I
            dont want to buy a rig and have something go wrong with it, so, would
            like to know overall what people think about the TS-50?. Is it worth
            it?...

            Brian
            N5LNL

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            "If it bleeds, we can kill it" --Arnold Schwarzenegger in "Predator"

            Need a tech? See our website www.amateur-repairs.com

          • Tim, N9PUZ
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 1, 2003
              On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:32:18 -0600, bkeytx2@... wrote:
              > Folks, Im about to buy myself a great Christmas Gift, its been
              > awhile since I bought myself anything, but, I once borrowed a Hams
              > TS50, and I fell in love with it, Love the size and all, but, I
              > also like Icoms 718, now, heres my problem, Over the past week I
              > have read post from the 718 board and TS-50 Board, it seems that
              > hardly anyone is having, or had problems with the 718, but, its a
              > different story for the TS-50, now, I dont want to buy a rig and
              > have something go wrong with it, so, would like to know overall
              > what people think about the TS-50?. Is it worth it?...

              I'm not sure that the Icom IC-718 and the Kenwood TS-50 is an easy
              comparison since the TS-50 is a portable/mobile rig.

              I bought a TS-50 used about a year ago. It gets used at home,
              portable, and in my truck. I get consistently good on air reports. I
              really like the rig. I paid around $425 for mine.

              One feature that's missing is a built-in keyer if you use CW paddles.
              I don't operate CW when mobile but it would be nice for home or
              portable operations.

              Tim, N9PUZ
            • NØATH
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 1, 2003
                I've used a TS-5Ø for nearly 12 years now. I have a friend that has both
                and I mentioned trading my 5Ø for a 7Ø6 a few years ago, their reply was:
                " Have you ever listened to a 7Ø6 vs. a TS-5Ø, if you had you wouldn't even
                think about trading. The TS 5Ø is far above the 7Ø6 in adjacent signal
                rejection." Unquote
                Dave / NØATH
                I it depends how much money you want to spend. I have both radios.
                They both are great!!!!! the 50 has no swr, so if you want to go
                mobile that's somthing else to carry. the 50 has only hf. carry
                another radio. the 50 is $640 new i think. the 706 is $759. with
                the mobile face plate kit!!!! about 100.00 to move up to the better
                model. Is it worth about 100? I think so.

                Now,if we are talking used. diffrient story.
                ts-50 are around 450-500 used.

                Dave kb6whv

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • axeclinton@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 1, 2003
                  I had both radios and the TS-50 is superior in the receiver department,
                  especially in terms of overload characteristics. I owned that original IC-706 and
                  the 706MK II G. The original on a friends inverted L on 80 meters was a basket
                  case, 100% overload across the band, 160 and broadcast were useless as well.
                  They corrected this in the 706MK II G and it is fine. The TS-50 had better
                  sounding receive audio, which is amazing considering the tiny internal speaker.
                  The receiver selectivity was still better in the TS-50 as are the overload
                  characteristics when compared side by side to the 706MK IIG. On the broadcast band
                  and on 160 the TS-50 just downright blows away the 706 MKIIG.

                  But you have to place this in context. In the mobile environment with a tuned
                  antenna and very hi Q you will NEVER hear any overload problems on the 706
                  and the 706 provides so much band coverage, the display is nicer and the
                  features are much richer. It's just a result of the marching of time, Icom can give
                  you more in a radio today than Kenwood could when they made the 50.

                  The fact is though that is almost every way, the TS=50 is as competent as any
                  full size radio, the transmitter and receiver performance is excellent. I
                  sold all my gear shortly after I purchased the 706, in fact I recently sold the
                  50 for the sister of the friend I had sold it to that passed away. U
                  nfortunately it apparently has some problems and it is being repaired but I can tell you
                  that when I owned it and for a few years my friend owned it it worked really
                  well and is very reliable and idiot proof. The output transistors are much
                  heavier than the ones in the 706. The only weak point in the 50 is the antenna
                  connector. It is NOT mounted to the chassis, it is mounted to a bracket on the
                  power amp card and if you flex it too much you can break a wire if you are
                  careless. My friend actually had RG8 coax in his car and was a bit clumsy so he was
                  always knocking the cable around and it broke the thin wire that leads from
                  the connector to the rf deck. It is a very easy repair to make and not a big
                  deal. That is the only defect I ever heard of.

                  If I was strictly interested in HF and if I ever become active in Ham Radio
                  again and want a small radio I would have no qualms about buying a TS-50. It is
                  an excellent radio and I would pay full price to but one again.

                  After my old Yaesu FT-101 and some drake gear the TS-50 was the nicest radio
                  I ever owned.

                  It's too bad they have not updated it to incorporate VHF and UHF.

                  Don't even think twice about buying it. If you intend to use it with a really
                  long wire antenna like an inverted L then the TS-50 is a great mobile/base
                  radio.

                  --Nat WA2BYV

                • Steve
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 21, 2003
                    Speaking of brightness, is there some way to dim it rather than
                    having it run full brightness all the time? Thanks.
                    --- In Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com, <rlewis@m...> wrote:
                    > I've had a TS50 for a number of years. The only problem I ever had
                    was that the dial light control transistor failed. The easy fix was
                    just to jumper it and run full brightness.
                  • 26RC107
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 21, 2003
                      VFO A, Menu 01 settings are OFF/d4/d3/d2/d1 - I run d2

                      Steve <stevec5000@...> wrote:Speaking of brightness, is there some way to dim it rather than
                      having it run full brightness all the time? Thanks.
                      --- In Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com, <rlewis@m...> wrote:
                      > I've had a TS50 for a number of years. The only problem I ever had
                      was that the dial light control transistor failed. The easy fix was
                      just to jumper it and run full brightness.

                      73 de Paul 26RC107
                      paulonezeroseven@...

                    • Steve
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 21, 2003
                        Thanks. I guess that will make sense when I find the instructions but
                        for now how do I access those settings?

                        --- In Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com, 26RC107 <paulonezeroseven@y...>
                        wrote:
                        > VFO A, Menu 01 settings are OFF/d4/d3/d2/d1 - I run d2
                        >
                        > Steve <stevec5000@y...> wrote:Speaking of brightness, is there some
                        way to dim it rather than
                        > having it run full brightness all the time? Thanks.
                        > --- In Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com, <rlewis@m...> wrote:
                        > > I've had a TS50 for a number of years. The only problem I ever
                        had
                        > was that the dial light control transistor failed. The easy fix was
                        > just to jumper it and run full brightness.
                      • Paul
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 21, 2003
                          Steve,

                          I've sent you the manual via private.
                          Check your mail .....

                          Paul.

                          ---
                        • Bob Lewis (AA4PB)
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 21, 2003
                            The transistor functions as a variable resistor to limit current flow
                            to the bulbs. It is controlled via an output from the processor. You
                            can get to the back of the front panel board to jumper the transistor
                            (an therefore run full brightness) rather easily. To remove and
                            replace the transistor requires you to remove the board from the front
                            panel. The only way to get it to dim is to replace the transistor. I
                            doubt that there is enough clearance to add a resistor on the back of
                            the PC board.
                          • Bob Lewis (AA4PB)
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 21, 2003
                              The display brightness (5 levels) is menu A item 01.

                              1) Press the F.LOCK button for more than two seconds to enter the Menu
                              Set-up mode.
                              2) If the B indicator apears, press the A/B button to display the A
                              indicator.
                              3) Select the menu item number (displayed on the left of the display)
                              using the tuning control. Set it to 01.
                              4) Select the desired brightness using the UP or DOWN button.
                              5) Press the CLR or F.LOCK button to exit the Menu Set-up mode.
                            • Steve
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 21, 2003
                                Great, that worked! Thanks.

                                --- In Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Lewis \(AA4PB\)"