No LCD readout on lower frquencies......only 6 dots!!

  • Gerard
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 5, 2012
      Hi,
      You guys have helped me a lot before.
      I was monitoring on 40M when all sound went quiet and six dots appeared on the screen. I did a full reset by holding down A=B button when switching the power on. This did not help much.
      Going to the higher frequencies, 20M and higher, everything seems normal.
      Can anybody help me with this problem?

      Thanking you in advance.

      Gerard
      ZS5AAC
    • phaseroo1
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 5, 2012
        Cold solder joints and or faulty caps are the usual suspects with elderly rigs especially if used mobile due to the vibration, or in your case, if your lucky, a realignment may sort the problem.
        73 Gerry.

        --- In Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com, "Gerard" <vreesie@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > You guys have helped me a lot before.
        > I was monitoring on 40M when all sound went quiet and six dots appeared on the screen. I did a full reset by holding down A=B button when switching the power on. This did not help much.
        > Going to the higher frequencies, 20M and higher, everything seems normal.
        > Can anybody help me with this problem?
        >
        > Thanking you in advance.
        >
        > Gerard
        > ZS5AAC

      • Mick (M0XMK)
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 5, 2012
          It is probably the PLL.

        • kc4jtv@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 5, 2012
            I have one with the same symptom. Working like new one moment, the next 6 dots and silence. My limited equipment (and patience) make it preferable to find a reputable person to do the repair if it can be done at reasonable cost. Suggestions anyone?

            Thanks, AW

          • k1cgi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 6, 2012
              AW,

              I have heard positive reports on this service repairman for your equipment.
              _http://www.k4eaa.com/_ (http://www.k4eaa.com/)

              73, Vic K1CGI

              From: Mick (M0XMK) <_mickkrose@..._ (mailto:mickkrose@...) >
              dots!!
              To: _Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com)
              Date: Wednesday, December 5, 2012, 7:06 PM

              It is probably the PLL.
              > I was monitoring on 40M when all sound went quiet and six dots appeared
              > on the screen. I did a full reset by holding down A=B button when
              > switching the power on. This did not help much.
              > Going to the higher frequencies, 20M and higher, everything seems normal.
              > Can anybody help me with this problem?
              >
              > Thanking you in advance.
              >
              > Gerard
              > ZS5AAC

            • john orr
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 6, 2012
                change all caps and clean all board where caps leaked. some caps will have
                to come from Japan, (at least that's the only place I could find them) the cost
                will be high.. at some point, it will be time to toss the towel in.. the radios are
                selling on ebay and else where for 500 to 700..  this will give you a starting point
                as to fix or junk... finding someone who is reputable to fix the radio, that's another
                story...  just my 2 cents

                john
                KJ4HVA

                "We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men/women who pervert the Constitution"
                Abraham Lincoln

                ________________________________
                I have one with the same symptom. Working like new one moment, the next 6 dots and silence. My limited equipment (and patience) make it preferable to find a reputable person to do the repair if it can be done at reasonable cost. Suggestions anyone?

                Thanks, AW

                > I was monitoring on 40M when all sound went quiet and six dots appeared
                > on the screen. I did a full reset by holding down A=B button when
                > switching the power on. This did not help much.
                > Going to the higher frequencies, 20M and higher, everything seems normal.
                > Can anybody help me with this problem?
                >
                > Thanking you in advance.
                >
                > Gerard
                > ZS5AAC

              • Frank Schnell
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 6, 2012
                  I have the same problem on a TS-440 except my dots/no receive are on
                  frequencies/bands above 20M. The service manual says the

                  diodes that determine the band filters for the PLL may be bad for those
                  bands. This causes the PLL to not lock on those frequencies.

                  I have not had time to repair my TS-440 yet. Try to get the service manual
                  off on-line sources to see if this applies to your problem.

                  73

                  Frank W5EFZ

                • avvidclif
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 6, 2012
                    Try it at 10.499 and then move up to 10.5. If it's OK at 10.5 and dots at 10.49 then the first PLL in the VCO is unlocking. Get a copy of the service manual and follow the instructions on pg 85, step 5.

                    The trimmer caps oxidize over time and cause problems and a quick spin or 2 and setting will usually get it going again. Maybe temporarily anyway. The cap will need to be replaced if that fixes it.

                    Clif

                    --- In Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com, "Gerard" <vreesie@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    > You guys have helped me a lot before.
                    > I was monitoring on 40M when all sound went quiet and six dots appeared on the screen. I did a full reset by holding down A=B button when switching the power on. This did not help much.
                    > Going to the higher frequencies, 20M and higher, everything seems normal.
                    > Can anybody help me with this problem?
                    >
                    > Thanking you in advance.
                    >
                    > Gerard
                    > ZS5AAC

                  • james27613
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 7, 2012
                      Hi,

                      as reported on the TS520 group,
                      K4EAA is not repairing any radios at this time.

                      73 james ke4drn

                    • vreesie@gmail.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 11, 2012
                        Hi Cliff and everybody,

                        Thank you for your advice. I adjusted VCO1 until test point no. 2 showed 5v.
                        I left the radio switched on for long stretches and no more dots!
                        Thanks to everyone that took part. I don't no where I will land up without
                        the help of TS50@yahoogroups.com

                        Gerard
                        ZS5AAC

                        Try it at 10.499 and then move up to 10.5. If it's OK at 10.5 and dots at 10
                        49 then the first PLL in the VCO is unlocking. Get a copy of the service
                        manual and follow the instructions on pg 85, step 5.

                        The trimmer caps oxidize over time and cause problems and a quick spin or 2
                        and setting will usually get it going again. Maybe temporarily anyway. The
                        cap will need to be replaced if that fixes it.

                        Clif

                        --- In Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com, "Gerard" <vreesie@...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        > You guys have helped me a lot before.
                        > I was monitoring on 40M when all sound went quiet and six dots appeared on
                        the screen. I did a full reset by holding down A=B button when switching the
                        power on. This did not help much.
                        > Going to the higher frequencies, 20M and higher, everything seems normal.
                        > Can anybody help me with this problem?
                        >
                        > Thanking you in advance.
                        >
                        > Gerard
                        > ZS5AAC

                      • dj3ku
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 16, 2015
                          This was exactly what happend to my TS 50.
                          I followed your advice and it just worked fine.
                          Thanks Clif!
                          Wolfgang