Re: Best stealth antenna besides dipole for 10-80 meters

  • avvidclif
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 4, 2012
      Can't help it if you're not proud of your state, Texans are.

      Clif

    • n3vry@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 4, 2012
        For VHF, have you thought of a Venttenna. It's sold. by HRO.
        For HF, are you allowed a clothes line? I have used one for years. I made it
        using grey 12 guage stranded wire. It really blends in with the sky. Also
        you could try a CB BigStick just paint it grey to camouflage it.

        Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

        Experiment with slinkies .... They are about 40 meters 1/4 wave per unit. I
        use them for grounds on my vertical, four of them tuned great on 160... You
        can make all kinds of shortened ant with them.. Big fiberglass fishing
        poles work great to hold them up..

        Sent from my iPhone

        On May 28, 2012, at 10:54, "xtranaut" <xtranaut@...> wrote:

        > Because I am a tech class, my HF experience is limited right now to 10m
        > but I am studying for my General and I have a decent rig to work the HF
        > bands - my handicap is living in a deed rsstricted community with HOA
        > declarations so I am limited to a 10 meter dipole in my attic. I don't
        > even have any inconspicuous place to put a dipole outside with the
        > length I need without having to run 150 feet of coax and that is just
        > way too much loss for the trouble imho.
        >
        > Does anyone have an suggestions on a compact, discrete antenna that can
        > be affixed to a PVC mast and laid horizonal on the ground until
        > "airtime" to be raised vertically on the fly?
        >
        > I know I can't expect to get this small for that kind of HF coverage but
        > I am considering this for my 2m/70cm rig to use on camo'd PVC in the top
        > of my crepe myrtle tree. Anybody ever hearde of or used THIS
        > <http://us.mg6.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.rand=19bh3ts7v3q9b> antenna
        > for VHF?

      • Simone De Beauvoir
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 4, 2012

          ¨

          ________________________________
          De : avvidclif <clif@...>
          À : Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com
          Envoyé le : Lundi 4 juin 2012 22h24
          Objet : [Kenwood_TS50] Re: Best stealth antenna besides dipole for 10-80 meters

          Can't help it if you're not proud of your state, Texans are.

          Clif

          So are Queenslanders, and our State is twice the size of Texas : -)

          Kate vk4xyl (using a TET-Emtron TEV-1 Vertical in the back yard)

        • xtranaut@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 4, 2012
            Queensland is quite the spectacular place... Great barrier reef and all.

          • calenelson@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 5, 2012
              Good Day All!

              I currently use a "random wire" antenna with my TS50. Granted I'm not on the air too often (I have 5 small children at home w/ me), but for the effort, cost and time involved; the "Wire" is serving me well. I'm currently planning to construct a Full Wave 160m Loop (I live way out in the country with plenty of space).

              The wire I use is stranded copper THNN 14 ga from Home Depot/Lowes; appox 75' long, and is only 8' off the ground. I run RG-8X from my little LDG Z100 tuner to a BUXCOM 4:1 BalUn (around 12'). The + side of the Balun is the 75' of 14 AWG elevated wire. The - side is tied to a Ground Rod. In turn there is a 'counter-poise' wire from the ground that extends about 75' as well, laid on top of the ground.

              That's all-and for my ltd budget and time-it works (and should hold me over till we get the loop up).

              It loves 40m & 80m and works pretty well 20m. Saturday I worked 9A9RR in Croatia on 15m. It does not like 10m.

              Hope this helps, it's pretty stealthly, and could be up and down in a few min easily.

              Cale-K4CDN