adapt TS50s for extended (7000 - 7200 KHz) frequencies

  • pa2hbn@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 11 , May 12, 2012
      Since a couple of years the 40 Meter band in The Netherlands extends from 7000 to 7200 KHz. Unfortunateley my TS50S only transmits upto 7100 KHz (the original band limit).
      The set was bought in the Netherlands and complies to the band limits at the time of buying.

      I am somewhat puzzled about how to extend the TX range for the TS50s.

      I read some descriptions on enabling wide TX, where 1 or more diodes are removed from the digital board in the TS50s.
      In my TS50s all 5 diodes (D1 .. D5) are fitted.

      Any indications how to proceed?

      If needed I can post a photograph of the diodes in the set.

      Hope someone in this group is able to help.

      Thanks in advance,
      73, Hans, pa2hbn
    • k1cgi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , May 12, 2012
        Hans, D5 is the correct one to clip. I did that for use on MARS and it will
        transmit across the band.

        Vic
        K1CGI

        Message 3 of 11 , May 12, 2012
          Hans,

          Remove the bottom cover
          Locate the PLL baord (it is the pc board on top of the main board. It has a
          shield on the right side.
          Locate the only non surfaced mounted component on the PLL board. Look near
          the rear left hand side of the board (from the front of the radio facing
          you and remove it. It is the only one there

          Message 4 of 11 , May 12, 2012
            Hello Vic,

            Thanks for the quick response.
            I also read that the other diodes should be clipped (but not D1).
            I will try D5 first.

            Is there any description on the varios diodes? I did not find this information in the service manual where I would have expected the description.

            Can you indicate if I have to perform the partial reset (remaining memory channels) of the full reset.

            73, Hans, pa2hbn

          • k1cgi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , May 12, 2012
              No, it is the only non surface mounted diode on the board.

              Once it is clipped, it will work without resetting. I think I got this
              information from the Yahoo board and other sources on Google.
              Here is a link to the graphical mod attached.

              Also here is the link for the url for that page:

              _http://www.irdx.net/org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=395:ke
              nwood-ts50-extended-tx&catid=12:radio-modification&Itemid=200055_
              (http://www.irdx.net/org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=395:kenwood-ts50
              -extended-tx&catid=12:radio-modification&Itemid=200055)

              Vic

              --- In _Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com)

            • k1cgi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , May 12, 2012
                Now the instruction suggest resetting. I did not have to reset the
                processor.

                , k1cgi@... wrote:

                > Hans, D5 is the correct one to clip. I did that for use on MARS and it
                will
                > transmit across the band.
                >
                > Vic
                > K1CGI
                >

                > In a message dated 5/12/2012 3:15:04 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                > pa2hbn@... writes:
                >

                > Since a couple of years the 40 Meter band in The Netherlands extends
                from
                > 7000 to 7200 KHz. Unfortunateley my TS50S only transmits upto 7100 KHz
                (the
                > original band limit).
                > The set was bought in the Netherlands and complies to the band limits at
                > the time of buying.
                >
                > I am somewhat puzzled about how to extend the TX range for the TS50s.
                >
                > I read some descriptions on enabling wide TX, where 1 or more diodes are

                > removed from the digital board in the TS50s.
                > In my TS50s all 5 diodes (D1 .. D5) are fitted.
                >
                > Any indications how to proceed?
                >
                > If needed I can post a photograph of the diodes in the set.
                >
                > Hope someone in this group is able to help.
                >
                > Thanks in advance,
                > 73, Hans, pa2hbn

              • avvidclif
                Message 7 of 11 , May 13, 2012
                  You're looking at a US version. His may have several non-surface mount diodes on the board, depending on the country.

                  Clif

                  --- In Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com, k1cgi@... wrote:

                  > No, it is the only non surface mounted diode on the board.

                • Michael Clarke
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 13, 2012
                    Cliff is right. There are several diodes in my European TS50S. The
                    question remains, which one or several to cut to extend beyond 7100 to
                    7200?
                    73
                    Michael Mi5MTC

                    --
                    Mick Mi5mtc
                    LOC IO64EL
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 13, 2012
                      Since the US version only has D5 and with it removed it transmits everywhere I would say D1-D4 determines the country (band data) so if only D5 were there is should be OK. I have the chart for what it's worth. It's in the service manual.

                      Clif

                    • pa2hbn@gmail.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 14, 2012
                        Hello Clif, Michael,

                        I am just worried about the warning I have read about not to clip diode D1. (but it seems that should not be a problem since it is not there in the US version anyway.)
                        Clif if you have a table in the service manual, it seems to miss in the copy I have here, can you send the table (can also to my e-mail pa2hbn at gmail.com).
                        In fact, extending the 40 meter range to 7200 or making the ts50 transmit would make no difference for me, I just need to be able to use the 7100 to 7200 segment.

                        Anyhow, next Thursday I will have the opportunity to give it a try, I will have some free time and the ts50, a suitable powersupply and dummyload available.
                        I will keep you informed about the progress.

                        73, Hans, pa2hbn

                        --- In Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com, "avvidclif" <clif@...> wrote:

                        > Since the US version only has D5 and with it removed it transmits everywhere I would say D1-D4 determines the country (band data) so if only D5 were there is should be OK. I have the chart for what it's worth. It's in the service manual.
                        >
                        > Clif
                        >
                        > --- In Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com, Michael Clarke <mi5mtc.mick@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Cliff is right. There are several diodes in my European TS50S. The
                        > > question remains, which one or several to cut to extend beyond 7100 to
                        > > 7200?
                        > > 73
                        > > Michael Mi5MTC
                        > >
                        > > On 5/13/12, avvidclif <clif@> wrote:
                        > > > You're looking at a US version. His may have several non-surface mount
                        > > > diodes on the board, depending on the country.
                        > > >
                        > > > Clif

                        > > --
                        > > Mick Mi5mtc
                        > > LOC IO64EL
                        > > GQRP 9630
                        > > FISTS 7740

                      • doug pfaff
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 25, 2012
                          Try advcliff on this forum he is USA based and serviced these rigs he may know more if its even possible

                          What's involved other than the diodes, I know from past experience that the external Kenwood AT tuner has controlled the band limits.

                          We dummy load tested a non tuner controlled rig and had TX below the 10 m band for example

                          The original mfgrs manual listed the various versions for worldwide distribution.

                          The diode clipping opens the whole radio up and may cause issues if ever check from manufacturers compliance spec by the authorities.

                          Maybe Kenwood Europe will issue the technical process to move the band edge up to the 7300 FREQUENCY area

                          We have heard of the authorities confiscating radios that have been modified in Canada as it voids the type approval rating granted at time of manufacture.

                          You might want to check with your Dutch regulatory authority regarding the issue as the recent WRC 2012 rule made the band change in the 40 m band for the european market.

                          Our rigs in region 2 are allowed to transmit to the 7300 khz.

                          The kenwood service manual listed a worldwide footnote where areas differ try the dk mods site for a pdf copy of the manual

                          I purchased a print copy 20 years ago of the manual when i first purchased the TS 50 rig

                          Doug ve5dcp

                          Doug Pfaff
                          doug.pfaff@...