hi, and a quick question.

  • Shaun Oliver
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 2, 2011
      Hi all,
      my name is Shaun, and I'm a blind ham operator.
      I'm just wondering if anybody out there could give me a quick run down
      on the front panel of the Kenwood TS-50S as in, what knobs and buttons
      are where and what they do as I'm about to come into posession of one
      and have no sighted help around to assist me in learning the functions
      of the radio.
      any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks in advance.
      Shaun.
    • Paul Engelman
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 3, 2011
        Shawn. ? No quick rundown on the use of multi function buttons. Can you not find someone the VHF to help,,, ?
        Wish I could help.. Where are you?

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Dec 2, 2011, at 7:28 AM, Shaun Oliver <blindman75@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > my name is Shaun, and I'm a blind ham operator.
        > I'm just wondering if anybody out there could give me a quick run down
        > on the front panel of the Kenwood TS-50S as in, what knobs and buttons
        > are where and what they do as I'm about to come into posession of one
        > and have no sighted help around to assist me in learning the functions
        > of the radio.
        > any help would be greatly appreciated.
        > Thanks in advance.
        > Shaun.

      • Shaun Oliver
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 3, 2011
          I'm in australia
          in adelaide.
          even if anyone's used one and has an idea of the best way to drive the
          thing I'd be happy. I could probably drive it with ham radio deluxe,
          but, I don't have the correct cable and hrd don't seem to work well with
          nvda. if there's any keyboard commands, I ain't found them yet.

          On 4/12/2011 11:12, Paul Engelman wrote:

          > Shawn. ? No quick rundown on the use of multi function buttons. Can
          > you not find someone the VHF to help,,, ?
          > Wish I could help.. Where are you?
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone
          >
          > On Dec 2, 2011, at 7:28 AM, Shaun Oliver <blindman75@...
          > <mailto:blindman75%40gmail.com>> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi all,
          > > my name is Shaun, and I'm a blind ham operator.
          > > I'm just wondering if anybody out there could give me a quick run down
          > > on the front panel of the Kenwood TS-50S as in, what knobs and buttons
          > > are where and what they do as I'm about to come into posession of one
          > > and have no sighted help around to assist me in learning the functions
          > > of the radio.
          > > any help would be greatly appreciated.
          > > Thanks in advance.
          > > Shaun.

        • Etienne Delronche
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 4, 2011
            Hi Shaun

            I use Ham Radio Deluxe with the inteface made by ZLP.
            You can find it on :

            http://www.g4zlp.co.uk/unified/Kenwood%20TS50%20CAT.shtml

            It really works fine, it's easy to install, it is quite cheap and I
            believe its one of the only way how you can still, (without diy) find
            hardware to connect a TS50 to a computer. All genuine interfaces from
            Kenwood are not available anymore and run only on RS232. This is USB
            connection, easier to connect on modern PC's.

            My 0,05€ contribution,

            Etienne / ON7ED
            Brussels Belgium
            --
          • Shaun Oliver
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 4, 2011
              Hi,
              Thanks for your help.
              can you tell me the keystrokes for hrd please, or give me a clue as to
              how to drive it?
              I'm not quite sure what does what.

              On 4/12/2011 19:44, Etienne Delronche wrote:
              > Hi Shaun
              >
              > I use Ham Radio Deluxe with the inteface made by ZLP.
              > You can find it on :
              >
              > http://www.g4zlp.co.uk/unified/Kenwood%20TS50%20CAT.shtml
              >
              > It really works fine, it's easy to install, it is quite cheap and I
              > believe its one of the only way how you can still, (without diy) find
              > hardware to connect a TS50 to a computer. All genuine interfaces from
              > Kenwood are not available anymore and run only on RS232. This is USB
              > connection, easier to connect on modern PC's.
              >
              > My 0,05€ contribution,
              >
              > Etienne / ON7ED
              > Brussels Belgium
            • Etienne Delronche
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 4, 2011
                Shaun,

                To be honnest I use HRD with my mouse most of the time. There are some
                shortcuts, you can create some by yourself, but I find that it's so easy
                to click with the mouse that I don't use them.

                73's

                Etienne / ON7ED

                Le 04/12/2011 10:51, Shaun Oliver a écrit :
                > Hi,
                > Thanks for your help.
                > can you tell me the keystrokes for hrd please, or give me a clue as to
                > how to drive it?
                > I'm not quite sure what does what.
                >

                > On 4/12/2011 19:44, Etienne Delronche wrote:
                >> Hi Shaun
                >>
                >> I use Ham Radio Deluxe with the inteface made by ZLP.
                >> You can find it on :
                >>
                >> http://www.g4zlp.co.uk/unified/Kenwood%20TS50%20CAT.shtml
                >>
                >> It really works fine, it's easy to install, it is quite cheap and I
                >> believe its one of the only way how you can still, (without diy) find
                >> hardware to connect a TS50 to a computer. All genuine interfaces from
                >> Kenwood are not available anymore and run only on RS232. This is USB
                >> connection, easier to connect on modern PC's.
                >>
                >> My 0,05€ contribution,
                >>
                >> Etienne / ON7ED
                >> Brussels Belgium

              • GK
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 4, 2011
                  Etienne / ON7ED

                  If you would read back through the posts, you would find that he is a blind
                  Ham and cannot use a mouse. Just to let you know.

                  Gary

                  > To be honnest I use HRD with my mouse most of the time. There are some
                  > shortcuts, you can create some by yourself, but I find that it's so easy
                  > to click with the mouse that I don't use them.
                  >

                  > 73's
                  >
                  > Etienne / ON7ED
                  >

                  > Le 04/12/2011 10:51, Shaun Oliver a écrit :
                  >> Hi,
                  >> Thanks for your help.
                  >> can you tell me the keystrokes for hrd please, or give me a clue as to
                  >> how to drive it?
                  >> I'm not quite sure what does what.
                  >>

                  >> On 4/12/2011 19:44, Etienne Delronche wrote:
                  >>> Hi Shaun
                  >>>
                  >>> I use Ham Radio Deluxe with the inteface made by ZLP.
                  >>> You can find it on :
                  >>>
                  >>> http://www.g4zlp.co.uk/unified/Kenwood%20TS50%20CAT.shtml
                  >>>
                  >>> It really works fine, it's easy to install, it is quite cheap and I
                  >>> believe its one of the only way how you can still, (without diy) find
                  >>> hardware to connect a TS50 to a computer. All genuine interfaces from
                  >>> Kenwood are not available anymore and run only on RS232. This is USB
                  >>> connection, easier to connect on modern PC's.
                  >>>
                  >>> My 0,05€ contribution,
                  >>>
                  >>> Etienne / ON7ED
                  >>> Brussels Belgium

                  > --

                • james27613
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 4, 2011
                    Hi,

                    I wrote this using the manual as my guide.

                    Top left corner power button

                    below is phones jack

                    mic jack is lower left corner.

                    Below the power switch and to the right is column of
                    three switches
                    antenna tune
                    then the aip/att button
                    then the noise blanker button.

                    To the right of the MIC is the volume and squelch knobs
                    then the rit and if shift knobs.

                    Moving to the right of the RIT knob are two rows of three buttons

                    top row is rit, scan and clear
                    lower row is memory in, memory input to vfo and vfo input to memory.

                    Just to the right of the display top right are row of four switches
                    Freq Lock, megahertz, up and down.

                    To the right of the encoder knob are a column of three switches,
                    vfo a or vfo b, split and vfo a equal vfo b.

                    Lower right corner are two buttons diagonal

                    ssb or cw mode and the second button is fm or am mode.
                    These two buttons play CW when pressed.

                    The link below is a pdf of the manual,
                    I am not sure if you have a program that will read the
                    pdf for you.

                    http://www.radiomanual.eu/schemi/TS50S_user.pdf

                    Hope this helps while you wait for your radio to arrive.

                    73 james ke4drn
                  • Robert Elston
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 4, 2011
                      Thanks Gary, I finally realised who it was and who is blind. A great guy but what in the heck he has a menu driven radio is far beyond me.,
                      bob

                      If you would read back through the posts, you would find that he is a blind
                      Ham and cannot use a mouse. Just to let you know.

                      Gary

                      > To be honnest I use HRD with my mouse most of the time. There are some
                      > shortcuts, you can create some by yourself, but I find that it's so easy
                      > to click with the mouse that I don't use them.
                      >

                      > 73's
                      >
                      > Etienne / ON7ED
                      >

                      > Le 04/12/2011 10:51, Shaun Oliver a écrit :
                      >> Hi,
                      >> Thanks for your help.
                      >> can you tell me the keystrokes for hrd please, or give me a clue as to
                      >> how to drive it?
                      >> I'm not quite sure what does what.
                      >>

                      >> On 4/12/2011 19:44, Etienne Delronche wrote:
                      >>> Hi Shaun
                      >>>
                      >>> I use Ham Radio Deluxe with the inteface made by ZLP.
                      >>> You can find it on :
                      >>>
                      >>> http://www.g4zlp.co.uk/unified/Kenwood%20TS50%20CAT.shtml
                      >>>
                      >>> It really works fine, it's easy to install, it is quite cheap and I
                      >>> believe its one of the only way how you can still, (without diy) find
                      >>> hardware to connect a TS50 to a computer. All genuine interfaces from
                      >>> Kenwood are not available anymore and run only on RS232. This is USB
                      >>> connection, easier to connect on modern PC's.
                      >>>
                      >>> My 0,05€ contribution,
                      >>>
                      >>> Etienne / ON7ED
                      >>> Brussels Belgium

                      > --

                    • Etienne Delronche
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 4, 2011
                        Gary,

                        Sorry about this, I didn't know.

                        I do not read all the posts in details as many times I don't feel that I
                        can help.

                        What I can do for Shaun, is to look at what commands he would like to
                        have available and how we can then create the right keystokes in HRD.
                        If he can tell me what functions he wants to get, I want to try to see
                        if it is possible to add them in HRD, but I've never done that so far.

                        73's

                        Etienne / ON7ED

                        Le 04/12/2011 19:03, GK a écrit :
                        > Etienne / ON7ED
                        >
                        > If you would read back through the posts, you would find that he is a blind
                        > Ham and cannot use a mouse. Just to let you know.
                        >
                        > Gary

                      • Etienne Delronche
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 4, 2011
                          Shaun,

                          I am searching to give you some tricks to use shortcut keystrokes from HRD.
                          What I found works with the interface that I mentionned earlier, but I
                          suppose it works with other interfaces also.

                          When you are in the "main window" of HRD, if you hit "enter" key , a
                          small window will allow you to enter with the numeric keypad the
                          frequency of both VFO's of the TS 50.
                          The keystroke sequence is :

                          "enter" to open the window
                          "Tab" to get the cursor on the field of VFO A
                          The cursor is then on the most left side of the frequency to enter. if
                          you want 7.100 Mhz enter 0007100000
                          if you hit "tab" again you go to the VFO B frequency field with the same
                          format. (four digits for the MHz, 3 digits for the KHz, and 3 digits
                          for the Hz)
                          You can enter the frequency for VFO B
                          Then hit "Tab" 3 times to go to the "apply" button.
                          type "enter" and the 2 frequencies will be sent to the rig.
                          type "Alt F4" to close that window and be able to redo the full sequence.

                          Please tell me if this is the kind of info you want to get, I want then
                          to go further with you in that description and in getting more control
                          via keyboard shortcuts we can create in HRD.
                          I would then also propose you to have direct email exchanges to avoid
                          spamming this group.

                          Best 73's

                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 4, 2011
                            Etienne,
                            Thank you for helping him out. I do not use the program, so I could not do
                            it. People like you help to make this hobby one of the best hobbies in the
                            world. Thanks again!!

                            Gary

                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 4, 2011
                              that's the kind of thing I;m looking for.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 4, 2011
                                Shaun,

                                OK, I will look to give you more infos of that kind this evening. Maybe
                                I can create a custom keystroke file that I can send you to install.
                                It would contain custom shortcuts to drive some functions of the TS50.
                                Can you advise me when you have the rig installed with HRD, so that we
                                can confirm some tests ?

                                73's

                                Etienne / ON7ED

                                --
                              • Shaun Oliver
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 5, 2011
                                  Basically, it's a good radio.
                                  Why should I restrict myself just because the radio is menu driven?
                                  the unfortunate thing is, you can't get away from it these days.

                                  On 5/12/2011 06:16, Robert Elston wrote:

                                  > Thanks Gary, I finally realised who it was and who is blind. A great
                                  > guy but what in the heck he has a menu driven radio is far beyond me.,
                                  > bob

                                • Shaun Oliver
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 5, 2011
                                    will do.

                                    On 5/12/2011 18:29, Etienne Delronche wrote:
                                    > Shaun,
                                    >
                                    > OK, I will look to give you more infos of that kind this evening. Maybe
                                    > I can create a custom keystroke file that I can send you to install.
                                    > It would contain custom shortcuts to drive some functions of the TS50.
                                    > Can you advise me when you have the rig installed with HRD, so that we
                                    > can confirm some tests ?
                                    >
                                    > 73's
                                    >
                                    > Etienne / ON7ED
                                    >

                                    > Le 05/12/2011 05:01, Shaun Oliver a écrit :
                                    >> that's the kind of thing I;m looking for.
                                    >>

                                    >> On 5/12/2011 09:18, Etienne Delronche wrote:
                                    >>> Shaun,
                                    >>>
                                    >>> I am searching to give you some tricks to use shortcut keystrokes from HRD.
                                    >>> What I found works with the interface that I mentionned earlier, but I
                                    >>> suppose it works with other interfaces also.
                                    >>>
                                    >>> When you are in the "main window" of HRD, if you hit "enter" key , a
                                    >>> small window will allow you to enter with the numeric keypad the
                                    >>> frequency of both VFO's of the TS 50.
                                    >>> The keystroke sequence is :
                                    >>>
                                    >>> "enter" to open the window
                                    >>> "Tab" to get the cursor on the field of VFO A
                                    >>> The cursor is then on the most left side of the frequency to enter. if
                                    >>> you want 7.100 Mhz enter 0007100000
                                    >>> if you hit "tab" again you go to the VFO B frequency field with the same
                                    >>> format. (four digits for the MHz, 3 digits for the KHz, and 3 digits
                                    >>> for the Hz)
                                    >>> You can enter the frequency for VFO B
                                    >>> Then hit "Tab" 3 times to go to the "apply" button.
                                    >>> type "enter" and the 2 frequencies will be sent to the rig.
                                    >>> type "Alt F4" to close that window and be able to redo the full sequence.
                                    >>>
                                    >>> Please tell me if this is the kind of info you want to get, I want then
                                    >>> to go further with you in that description and in getting more control
                                    >>> via keyboard shortcuts we can create in HRD.
                                    >>> I would then also propose you to have direct email exchanges to avoid
                                    >>> spamming this group.
                                    >>>
                                    >>> Best 73's
                                    >>>
                                    >>> Etienne / ON7ED

                                    >> ------------------------------------

                                  • Shaun Oliver
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 5, 2011
                                      sounds good to me. I'll let you know when I get everything setup.

                                    • RalphJ
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Dec 14, 2011
                                        Good morning, Shaun;

                                        Having a menu driven radio while being blind is not at all an
                                        unusual thing. With a computer and a text-to-speech converter
                                        program on the computer, he can have the computer tell him what the
                                        radio is doing. And, the Kenwood radios have been known as being
                                        the most sight-impaired friendly radios out there for years. I do
                                        still recommend the Kenwood TS-480 with the VS-1 chip in it for any
                                        mobile operation while actually driving. That radio will talk to
                                        you telling you what button you have pushed, what parameter you are
                                        adjusting, and by how much. You do not need to look at it to use
                                        it while driving. This type of capability was sufficient for
                                        Elecraft to adopt the Kenwood protocol for use with their K2 and K3
                                        radios. That is a pretty good recommendation.

                                        Enjoy, Happy Holidays, and 73;

                                        Ralph, N7KGA
                                        Latte Land, Washington