Re: [Kenwood_TS50] Source for DC - DC Power Supply

  • Christoffer Knutsen
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 29, 2011
      Your looking for the MFJ 4416. However I run my TS-50S on a PC ATX PSU
      running exactly 12 V, no problems at all. Running on a battery I can TX
      while the current is 11V. Had a short QSO into the UK using 100W on a old
      moped battery. Radio died on a little under 11V. Strange that you guys have
      problems with anything under 13V

      Christoffer
      LA3CTA

      2011/4/29 Rene Stadin <rstadin@...>

      > QST reviewed a couple of products available in the November 2008 issue.
      > One by MFJ and another by TGElectroics. You may be interested. A long
      > while ago I seemed to remember a construction project along the same
      > idea but I can't find the issue.
      > Rene/N0PAF
      >

      > On 4/29/2011 11:48, Roy Peterson wrote:
      > > Thanks Ron, I did have that info. I guess I'm really looking to see if
      > there is anything better out there. This is the second time I've had the
      > unit fail.
      > >
      > > Pete
      > > KJ4RSM
      > >
      > > On Apr 29, 2011, at 11:45 AM, MD Freecycler wrote:
      > >
      > >> I always like a challenge. This seller seems to have allot of entries
      > that
      > >> come up on Google. But this was the most informative along the lines of
      > >> contact information. Maybe something will get you to him:
      > >>
      > >> LEHNER, LEO/BATTERY BOOSTER
      > >> 6780 W. Yearling Rd.
      > >> Peoria, AZ 85363
      > >> 623/256-6399
      > >> eofaz@...
      > >>
      > >> http://members.cox.net/w4rry/index.html (This URL did not work)
      > >>
      > >> Ron
      > >> KB3VEW

    • Roy Peterson
      Message 2 of 20 , May 1, 2011
        Quick update.  I did a bit of troubleshooting on my Battery Booster and found that the voltage coming out was only 13.4vdc. I turned the pot up to 13.8vdc and it's been working fine since.  I'm not sure how it got turned down, but for now all is well!

        Dale thanks, your comments on the batteries are spot on.   A good healthy battery is essential to full time cruising, but your comments really don't apply to this situation.

        We have a house battery bank that stores 800 amp hours and a separate battery for engine starting.  I keep them charged via solar panels, wind generator, engine alternator (with a 4 stage smart regulator).  When plugged into shore AC power I have a 4 stage battery charger.  As back-up to the above I also have a Honda EU2000i generator that I use to run the battery charger.  All this is monitored by a LinkPro battery monitor, that helps me keep the batteries in good shape.

        All these sources keep the batteries well charged, but when the batteries are fully charged the voltage is only 12.7-12.8vdc which is then further reduced by normal house loads (refrigeration, lights, pumps, etc.).  When anchored or underway, and the sun goes down with limited wind,  the voltage drop overnight will bring the effective voltage under normal load to around 12.3-12.5vdc.  A real struggle for the TS-50, which is expecting 13.8vdc normal from automobile alternator.

        Even with the engine alternator running or the battery charger plugged in, the smart requlators reduce the voltage to 13.1vdc for the float charge.But who wants to be plugged in or motoring on a sailboat anyway.

        I don't know if all TS-50's are this sensitive to power levels, but my unit at even at 13.4vdc was only able transmit at 50 watts at 13.4vdc. For me a battery booster is essential.

        Thanks for all the inputs for replacement battery boosters, I will keep the recommendations in my back pocket if I run in to any more power problems with the unit.

        Pete
        KJ4RSM

      • avvidclif
        Message 3 of 20 , May 1, 2011
          TS-50's normally work down to the 12v level.

          I'm going to make an assumption that the voltage levels you gave are in RX mode. Measure the voltage at the radio on the AT-50 jack, which gives the internal voltage available to the radio, including thru the connector on the back. Both DVM connections to be made at the radio. Now key the radio in CW mode. If you have more than a 1v drop start working on connectors and wiring harness. The most likely source of problems are the fuses.

          Clif

        • vilulf9@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 20 , May 1, 2011
            I would suspect wiring that is too small to carry the full 20 amp load when transmitting at full power,
            or salt corrosion on some connection somewhere. Most likely inadequate wire size somewhere between supply and radio.

            John - ab8ko

            TS-50's normally work down to the 12v level.

            I'm going to make an assumption that the voltage levels you gave are in RX mode. Measure the voltage at the radio on the AT-50 jack, which gives the internal voltage available to the radio, including thru the connector on the back. Both DVM connections to be made at the radio. Now key the radio in CW mode. If you have more than a 1v drop start working on connectors and wiring harness. The most likely source of problems are the fuses.

            Clif

            --- In Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com, Roy Peterson <rptrsn@...> wrote:

            > Quick update. I did a bit of troubleshooting on my Battery Booster and found that the voltage coming out was only 13.4vdc. I turned the pot up to 13.8vdc and it's been working fine since. I'm not sure how it got turned down, but for now all is well!
            >
            > Dale thanks, your comments on the batteries are spot on. A good healthy battery is essential to full time cruising, but your comments really don't apply to this situation.
            >
            > We have a house battery bank that stores 800 amp hours and a separate battery for engine starting. I keep them charged via solar panels, wind generator, engine alternator (with a 4 stage smart regulator). When plugged into shore AC power I have a 4 stage battery charger. As back-up to the above I also have a Honda EU2000i generator that I use to run the battery charger. All this is monitored by a LinkPro battery monitor, that helps me keep the batteries in good shape.
            >
            > All these sources keep the batteries well charged, but when the batteries are fully charged the voltage is only 12.7-12.8vdc which is then further reduced by normal house loads (refrigeration, lights, pumps, etc.). When anchored or underway, and the sun goes down with limited wind, the voltage drop overnight will bring the effective voltage under normal load to around 12.3-12.5vdc. A real struggle for the TS-50, which is expecting 13.8vdc normal from automobile alternator.
            >
            > Even with the engine alternator running or the battery charger plugged in, the smart requlators reduce the voltage to 13.1vdc for the float charge.But who wants to be plugged in or motoring on a sailboat anyway.
            >
            > I don't know if all TS-50's are this sensitive to power levels, but my unit at even at 13.4vdc was only able transmit at 50 watts at 13.4vdc. For me a battery booster is essential.
            >
            > Thanks for all the inputs for replacement battery boosters, I will keep the recommendations in my back pocket if I run in to any more power problems with the unit.
            >
            > Pete
            > KJ4RSM

          • Roy Peterson
            Message 5 of 20 , May 1, 2011
              Clif & John,

              I'm running 8 AWG marine quality tinned wire 15' (one way), more than adequate for a 20 amp load with an expected voltage drop of less than .5 volts for that distance.   When I installed the unit in 2005, I ran the wires through dry spaces and so far I've not had any corrosion on the connections. I've also checked both positive and negative circuit breakers for bad connections, cleaned contacts, continuity is good.  I took voltage at the positive ckt brkr (located about 8" from the back of the transceiver) and noticed about a .6vdc voltage drop when transmitting at 100watts.  Then I took a reading in CW as you suggested, voltage dropped 2.7volts and the wire was warm to the touch after several short transmissions of 5 to 10 sec each.  Sounds like I need to dig a little deeper into this little problem.  I'll pull the plug on the power jack on the back of the box and see how that looks.

              Any other suggestions?

              Pete
              KJ4RSM

              ________________________________

            • vilulf9@sbcglobal.net
              Message 6 of 20 , May 1, 2011
                Hi Pete,
                okay looks like you have gone the route with the wiring and with very acceptable ( and negligible) voltage
                drop under a load... I wonder if there's a problem with the DC/DC regulator in the rig itself?
                or perhaps a "shaky" solder connection where the power hits the board in the rig?
                worth a look I guess.
                My TS-50S will keep transmitting down to around 11.5VDC under load in the mobile

                John - ab8ko
                ps) do you have a service manual for the TS-50? I can email the PDF version to you if you need it Pete.

                I would suspect wiring that is too small to carry the full 20 amp load when transmitting at full power,
                or salt corrosion on some connection somewhere. Most likely inadequate wire size somewhere between supply and radio.

                John - ab8ko

                TS-50's normally work down to the 12v level.

                I'm going to make an assumption that the voltage levels you gave are in RX mode. Measure the voltage at the radio on the AT-50 jack, which gives the internal voltage available to the radio, including thru the connector on the back. Both DVM connections to be made at the radio. Now key the radio in CW mode. If you have more than a 1v drop start working on connectors and wiring harness. The most likely source of problems are the fuses.

                Clif

                --- In Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com, Roy Peterson <rptrsn@...> wrote:

                > Quick update. I did a bit of troubleshooting on my Battery Booster and found that the voltage coming out was only 13.4vdc. I turned the pot up to 13.8vdc and it's been working fine since. I'm not sure how it got turned down, but for now all is well!
                >
                > Dale thanks, your comments on the batteries are spot on. A good healthy battery is essential to full time cruising, but your comments really don't apply to this situation.
                >
                > We have a house battery bank that stores 800 amp hours and a separate battery for engine starting. I keep them charged via solar panels, wind generator, engine alternator (with a 4 stage smart regulator). When plugged into shore AC power I have a 4 stage battery charger. As back-up to the above I also have a Honda EU2000i generator that I use to run the battery charger. All this is monitored by a LinkPro battery monitor, that helps me keep the batteries in good shape.
                >
                > All these sources keep the batteries well charged, but when the batteries are fully charged the voltage is only 12.7-12.8vdc which is then further reduced by normal house loads (refrigeration, lights, pumps, etc.). When anchored or underway, and the sun goes down with limited wind, the voltage drop overnight will bring the effective voltage under normal load to around 12.3-12.5vdc. A real struggle for the TS-50, which is expecting 13.8vdc normal from automobile alternator.
                >
                > Even with the engine alternator running or the battery charger plugged in, the smart requlators reduce the voltage to 13.1vdc for the float charge.But who wants to be plugged in or motoring on a sailboat anyway.
                >
                > I don't know if all TS-50's are this sensitive to power levels, but my unit at even at 13.4vdc was only able transmit at 50 watts at 13.4vdc. For me a battery booster is essential.
                >
                > Thanks for all the inputs for replacement battery boosters, I will keep the recommendations in my back pocket if I run in to any more power problems with the unit.
                >
                > Pete
                > KJ4RSM

              • rptrsn
                Message 7 of 20 , May 1, 2011
                  Hi John,

                  I do have a TS-50 manual, thanks. I'm thinking it might be a bad solder joint in the plug that I had to rebuild when I installed it. That was a tough job at best with limited tools aboard and I haven't checked those contacts since.

                  I'm deep into to an engine overheating problem at the moment (another story), but that will be my next project. I'm not liking hot wires in the bulkheads. Fire is not something we like on a sailboat.

                  Thanks for your help.

                  Pete
                  KJ4RSM

                  --- In Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com, <vilulf9@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Pete,
                  > okay looks like you have gone the route with the wiring and with very acceptable ( and negligible) voltage
                  > drop under a load... I wonder if there's a problem with the DC/DC regulator in the rig itself?
                  > or perhaps a "shaky" solder connection where the power hits the board in the rig?
                  > worth a look I guess.
                  > My TS-50S will keep transmitting down to around 11.5VDC under load in the mobile
                  >
                  > John - ab8ko
                  > ps) do you have a service manual for the TS-50? I can email the PDF version to you if you need it Pete.

                • Bob
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 1, 2011
                    Pete
                    I very much doubt that increasing the output voltage of your booster by
                    0.4V would make the slightest bit of difference. I suspect you may have
                    some other problem.
                    The specs for the TS50 give an operating voltage of 13.8 +/- 15% so
                    the lowest voltage would be 11.73 provided it can draw sufficient current.
                    I would recommend you measure the voltage drop on the TS50 power lead
                    both in RX & TX modes. The radio draws 20.5A at full power so the
                    voltage drop across a long power lead will be significant.

                    Bob VK7ZL

                    --

                    VK7ZL NDB& Navtex Logging: http://tinyurl.com/255zfm2

                    VK7ZL IARU Beacon Logging: http://tinyurl.com/yfpaq7j

                  • Dale Clift
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 2, 2011
                      If your battery voltage is at 12.something, than your charging system is not working, as a fully charged 12v battery should be somewhere between 13.8 to 14.4 volts. 12 something that you have is very near dead, and is greatly shortening your expected battery life. As for the house bank, what type of batteries are you using? You are on the right track and using some good equipment, but there is a lot being left on the table in your system.

                      Dale

                    • Roy Peterson
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 2, 2011
                        Hi Dale,

                        Au contraire! A 12 volt battery is CHARGED at 13.6-14.4 volts, but it will not remain at that level when removed from the charging sources.

                        If you are testing a battery with a hydrometer, you need to remove it from the charging source and all loads for a period of time. 12.7-12.9vdc would be considered a fully charged battery. Here is a link to some battery basics:

                        http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html

                        Our "house" battery bank is a set of 6 Trojan T-145 6vdc, golf cart deep cycle, wet cell batteries wired in series/parallel to give me 12vdc. Below is an extract from the Trojan Battery website for my deep cycle batteries:

                        State of Charge as a measure of Open-Circuit Voltage
                        Percentage Charge 100%

                        Open Circuit Voltage
                        per cell 6 Volt 8 Volt 12 Volt
                        .122 6.37 8.49 12.73

                        I'm now pretty sure my problems have to do with a soldering job I did when building the plug on the back of the transceiver. I'll let the group know what I find.

                        Pete
                        KJ4RSM