Couple of questions

  • Allan
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2010
      Hi all, I recently got a sweet deal on a used TS-50 and love the radio, no problems with it at all. It came with everything that a person would have gotten when they baught the radio new including the manuel and box.
      After goin through the manuel front to back I have come up with a couple of questions and am hoping somebody here can help answer my questions.

      Question 1. On page 55 of the manuel it mentions a "filter" and how to install it but doesn't say what this filter is used for let alone anything else. I am assuming this is the optional YK-107C CW Filter as shown on page 58.
      I was wonder if there is any way without taking the top of the radio off to know if this filter has been installed and is working?

      Question 2. On page 56 of the manuel it talks about a TCXO Unit (SO-2) but I can't find anything about what the purpose of this TCXO Unit is.
      Again, I was wonder if there is any way without taking the top of the radio off to know if this filter has been installed and is working? And if somebody could tell me in more detail what this item does I would greatly appreciate it.

      Thanks for all the help, Allan
    • vilulf9@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 6, 2010
        Hi Allan,

        You're correct about the "optional filter" being the CW filter.
        If I'm not mistaken, the CW filter was the "only" optional filter
        offered by Kenwood for the TS-50S
        ( there may be 3rd party filters available from other sources
        but the CW filter was the only one from Kenwood itself )

        the "TXCO unit " is a High Stability Crystal Oscillator ( temperature compensated)
        and is not necessary for the rig to perform well.
        Unless your TS-50S "drifts" in frequency, you really don't need the TXCO
        besides they're like $200 + bucks "IF" you can find one.
        Nice to have a TXCO though if you have one fall into your lap ;-)

        "TXCO" stands for "Temperature Compensated Crystal Oscillator"

        I just love my little TS-50S, I use it mobile HF all the time :-)
        have a great day

        73' de John - ab8ko

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 6, 2010
          Allan,
          Menu item # 3 on the TS-50 selects between the two filters for CW. Go to the
          menu by pressing and holding "F LOCK" until the menu appears. Use the main
          tuning knob to get to menu # 3. Press the up or down buttons on the top right
          of the front of the rig to switch between the two filter choices.

          2.4kHz. is the wide filter. Below the kHz on the dial it will say CW. 0.5 kHz
          is the narrow filter, or 500 Hz. CW-N will show below the kHz, in the window.
          If the 500 Hz. filter is installed, you will notice a significant difference
          between the sound, even without an antenna attached, when you press either the
          DOWN or UP button. If you detect no difference in the sound between the two
          when you press the button, it is a pretty good bet that you don't have the 500
          Hz. filter installed, as selecting the CW-N 0.5 kHz filter would have no effect
          on the band width.

          You do not have to take the cover off to do this. You can also tune the rig to
          a cw signal and do the same thing. I have button # 2 on the hand mike
          programmed to menu item #3. Pressing that button on the mike switches between
          the two filters, so that I don't have to go into the menu to select the narrow
          filter when needed. The four programmable buttons are very handy to have when
          you are running mobile and don't want to fuss with menus and risk an accident.

          My TS-50 is very old, purchased soon after they came out in the last century. I
          run it mobile all the time. So far it has been bullet proof, but i don't want
          jinx myself by saying that out loud.

          I have no information on the TXCO, but never felt the need for one. Enjoy your
          TS-50.

          Pete, NO2D

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 7, 2010
            I have installed the SO-2 TCXO on my TS-50. It is not required for most
            amateur operation. I was required to get it to meet the NIST stability
            requirements to operate on USCG frequencies into order to participate in a
            USCG Auxiliary HF Contingency net.

            73

            Dave Penney/K4DCB

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 7, 2010
              Dave Penney wrote:
              > I have installed the SO-2 TCXO on my TS-50.

              Who sells SO-2 for TS-50?
              I�d like to get it...

              73 de Chris, sp3eld

            • Dave Penney
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 8, 2010
                It doesn't have to be specifically for the TS-50 mine was listed for another
                Kenwood model radio (I don’t remember which model). I bought it from Amateur
                Radio Supply last year for about $179. You will have to connect some jumpers
                and remove a couple of resistors to disable the existing reference
                oscillator (Instructions are supplied with the SO-2). I did not have to do
                any tuning or alignment.

                73

                Dave, K4DCB

                > I have installed the SO-2 TCXO on my TS-50.

                Who sells SO-2 for TS-50?
                Iåd like to get it...

                73 de Chris, sp3eld

              • Etienne Delronche
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 2, 2011
                  Hello,

                  Anyone on this list using the Micro Ham Digi Keyer II on his TS50 ?
                  There is not much reference to the TS50 on their website in the lists of
                  supported rigs.
                  I am wondering if I could just make a clone of a IF 10D and have chance
                  to get it working like that.

                  All advices are welcome.
                  Many thks in advance.

                  73's