TS 50S backlight replacement

  • wiltelco
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2010
      Hi to everyone.

      I'm new to this forum, having just purchased a TS 50S this past weekend.

      Radio is really nice, but some of display backlight bulbs appear to be burned out. Problem is apparently not the "plated through" issue since xmit LED is functional.

      Can't find a detailed procedure on forum search and wonder if anyone has tackled this job and any associated problems, procedures etc.

      Also, are parts (bulbs, backup battery) readily available???

      Thanks.

      Lionel, K5LW
    • Dave Penney
      Message 2 of 2 , May 6, 2010
        Lionel,

        I have done the backlight replacement on my TS-50S. It is not exceptionally
        hard. If you go into the files section of this user group you can find an
        exploded drawing of the TS-50S that will show you how to drop down the front
        panel so that you can access the back of the display panel PCB where the
        lamps are soldered in. New functional replacement lamps are available (not
        specifically for the TS-50S but for a more recent Kenwood radio) that work
        perfectly. The only caution is to use anti electrostatic discharge
        precautions when working on circuit boards with CMOS devices. I grounded the
        tip of my soldering iron to the radio ground and used a grounded wrist
        strap.

        73

        Dave, K4DCB