Intermittent transmitter

  • pooky87121401
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 6 11:55 AM
      I've had my TS-50 for a couple of years now (purchased brand new from
      AES Orlando)

      I suddenly became intermittent (tx), but only in SSB -- the FM and AM
      modes were unaffected.

      Local radio shop "fixed it" claiming it was the mike (bad connection).
      This never made much sense to me, but the radio did work for a couple
      of months.

      Now the radio is back to its old antics. It will "sometimes" work
      normal, but it is unreliable. Again, only SSB is affected. FM & AM are
      normal - 10w, 50w, 100w.

      Any ideas/suggestions?

      Tony/HP1KL
    • Jim Dunstan
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 6 2:16 PM
        At 06:55 PM 9/6/2008 +0000, you wrote:

        >I've had my TS-50 for a couple of years now (purchased brand new from
        >AES Orlando)
        >
        >I suddenly became intermittent (tx), but only in SSB -- the FM and AM
        >modes were unaffected.
        >
        >Local radio shop "fixed it" claiming it was the mike (bad connection).
        >This never made much sense to me, but the radio did work for a couple
        >of months.
        >
        >Now the radio is back to its old antics. It will "sometimes" work
        >normal, but it is unreliable. Again, only SSB is affected. FM & AM are
        >normal - 10w, 50w, 100w.
        >
        >Any ideas/suggestions?
        >
        >Tony/HP1KL

        Hi Tony,

        What is the intermittent like ... e.g. receiver works ? goes to xmit when
        Key pressed?, no modulation?

        I have noticed with mine that the mic connector really needs to be firmly
        installed and tightened or it may be intermittent ... eg .... no modulating
        audio ...

        Jim, VE3CI
      • TonyC
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 6 2:28 PM
          Jim:

          Thanks for coming back so quickly. The SSB transmitted modulation is what is intermittent. The RF needle moves  v e r y  slightly and a weak but muffled signal can be heard in another receiver. The reason I doubt it's the mike is because the radio modulates just fine in AM and FM -- the problem is unique to SSB -- no matter if it is USB or LSB.

          If I try insistently, it SOMETIMES spring to life, only to fail a few minutes afterward.

                Tony

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 6 4:05 PM
            At 02:28 PM 9/6/2008 -0700, you wrote:

            >Jim:
            >
            >Thanks for coming back so quickly. The SSB transmitted modulation is what
            >is intermittent. The RF needle moves v e r y slightly and a weak but
            >muffled signal can be heard in another receiver. The reason I doubt it's
            >the mike is because the radio modulates just fine in AM and FM -- the
            >problem is unique to SSB -- no matter if it is USB or LSB.
            >
            >If I try insistently, it SOMETIMES spring to life, only to fail a few
            >minutes afterward.
            >
            > Tony

            Hi Tony,

            You are probably correct. In my situation it was clearly in the mic
            connector ... The modulating audio would come back on when the connector
            was jiggled. Re-inserting the connector and making sure the connector ring
            was securely tightened fixed the problem. The connector may be a common
            weak point ... which would cause the service man to see the problem solved
            hi hi.

            I would suggest being sure the ring is really tightened so as not to
            compound the problem hi hi.

            Jim, VE3CI
          • TonyC
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 6 5:03 PM
              In desperation I may try a total reset, but really have little faith that this will restore the rig's problem, especially because of its intermittent nature. BTW, I have my mike buttons defaulted to:

              # 2 - power change
              # 4 - two additional freq. digits (use it to zero-in SW broadcast stations)

              Have a nice weekend, (my other rig is a TS-520 - never had any problem with it, even after 30+ years!!)

                     Tony

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 8 5:24 PM
                Good news!

                (silly me) -- it turned out to be the mike, but at the connector end.
                Wiggling the cable restored the transmitter (on SSB).

                It never crossed my mind that it could be so simple. To compound
                matters (again silly me) I know very well that my TS-520 suffers from
                exactly the same problem...!

                Thank you Jim and all the other helpful souls who replied.

                73's - Tony/HP1KL