A Problem or three

  • wolfbob
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2008
      I have several problems with my TS50S.

      First, The audio output on SSB is far below that on other
      modes. Most of the time. Sometimes for a few seconds the
      level seems OK.

      Second, the external speaker jack isn't. The internal
      speaker works but nothing changes when I try an external
      speaker.

      Third, after several months of operation as above, the
      lights went out. All four of the LCD lights died or
      otherwise don't work all at once.

      I have lots capability for fixing things and lots of test
      equipment and manuals. But any help will be appreciated.

      WBob, WB6JPI
    • gasrenateu@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 6, 2008
        Hi Bob,

        Guess what? I have a TS-50 with similar issues.

        The fix for the lights is probably a plated through hole on the LCD front
        panel.

        Info available on the yahoo groups forum for fixing the plated thru hole.
        It worked for me.

        The issue of low audio on SSB is probably the first stage of my problem
        which is that the SSB/CW/AM does not provide any audio at initial power on, the
        "S" meter is fully pegged and a loud audio squeal is heard from the speaker
        which increases in frequency and eventually gets beyond the freq range of the AF
        amp and is no longer heard. Eventually the audio for the SSB/CW/AM does
        return but at a very low level and the "S" meter appears to work properly.
        The FM audio is not affected.

        I suspect that IC-8 or Q-24 or their support circuits on the TX/RX PCB is
        causing the problem and I am troubleshooting it now.

        If/when I find a fix, I will share it with the group.

        I suspect your external speaker jack is damaged and needs to be cleaned or
        replaced or wired around. Does your front panel headphone jack work okay?

        73,wi1p, Greg

      • Clif
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 6, 2008
          First, resolder the resistor packs in the DDS unit.

          Second, replace the speaker jack and solder it well.

          Third, repair damage caused by C1 in the LCD assembly leaking.

          Clif

          --- In Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com, "wolfbob" <wolfbob@...> wrote:

          > I have several problems with my TS50S.
          >
          > First, The audio output on SSB is far below that on other
          > modes. Most of the time. Sometimes for a few seconds the
          > level seems OK.
          >
          > Second, the external speaker jack isn't. The internal
          > speaker works but nothing changes when I try an external
          > speaker.
          >
          > Third, after several months of operation as above, the
          > lights went out. All four of the LCD lights died or
          > otherwise don't work all at once.
          >
          > I have lots capability for fixing things and lots of test
          > equipment and manuals. But any help will be appreciated.
          >
          > WBob, WB6JPI

        • wolfbob
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 6, 2008
            Thanks Cliff..Just what I needed to know..

            WBob,

            wrote:

            > I have several problems with my TS50S.
            >
            > First, The audio output on SSB is far below that on other
            > modes. Most of the time. Sometimes for a few seconds the
            > level seems OK.
            >
            > Second, the external speaker jack isn't. The internal
            > speaker works but nothing changes when I try an external
            > speaker.
            >
            > Third, after several months of operation as above, the
            > lights went out. All four of the LCD lights died or
            > otherwise don't work all at once.
            >
            > I have lots capability for fixing things and lots of test
            > equipment and manuals. But any help will be appreciated.
            >
            > WBob, WB6JPI

          • brian
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 7, 2008
              g/day clif,
              finally solved the ts 50 intermitant trx problem, you were right q 52 and 53 were shot, thx for you help cliff, great stuff, Brian.pic 4 u.