DC power connector specs

  • iapizloj
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2008
      Folks,
      there was a nice discussion on the AT50 connector specs, and I was
      lucky enough to find a parts reseller able to provide me and my
      friends with ELP-06V connectors and pins...
      But now, I cannot find the right specs for the Power connector. One
      Spanish ham dealer has them, but the pins are not a perfect fit.
      On my original connector it can be read JST, but I cannot find them on
      the JST webpage... Molex has something close, but the plug dimensions
      are bigger...
      Probably a pair of sharper eyes would help...
      Thanks!

      jon, ea2sn

      P.D. this is also the same connector of the Yaesu 857 897 and others...
    • Jim Dunstan
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2008
        Hi all,

        I have used my TS-50S for a few years now ... I bought it new just as they
        were ending their last production run. It is a great little rig which I use
        all bands all modes in my shack. There is a question I have which relates
        to the function and circuitry involved with the 'AIP'. The closest
        description I can find in the instruction book says: " AIP helps eliminate
        radio interference, and moderates receiver audio distortion which sometimes
        occurs when receiving a strong signal."

        The only difference I notice when it is selected is that it attenuates the
        signal about 10 db. I really don't notice any difference in performance.
        The attenuator inserts 20 db and the combination of attenuation + AIP 30
        db. a 2 step attenuator hi hi. What kind of circuitry does the AIP
        represent ... and does it work on the front end or the audio chain or both.
        Just curious, does it do anything in addition to attenuate the signal hi hi.
        73
        Jim, VE3CI
      • Jim Dunstan
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2008
          At 12:40 PM 3/2/2008 -0500, you wrote:

          >Hi all,
          >
          >I have used my TS-50S for a few years now ... I bought it new just as they
          >were ending their last production run. It is a great little rig which I use
          >all bands all modes in my shack. There is a question I have which relates
          >to the function and circuitry involved with the 'AIP'. The closest
          >description I can find in the instruction book says: " AIP helps eliminate
          >radio interference, and moderates receiver audio distortion which sometimes
          >occurs when receiving a strong signal."
          >
          >The only difference I notice when it is selected is that it attenuates the
          >signal about 10 db. I really don't notice any difference in performance.
          >The attenuator inserts 20 db and the combination of attenuation + AIP 30
          >db. a 2 step attenuator hi hi. What kind of circuitry does the AIP
          >represent ... and does it work on the front end or the audio chain or both.
          >Just curious, does it do anything in addition to attenuate the signal hi hi.
          >73
          >Jim, VE3CI

          Further to the above I also found:

          AIP (Advanced Intercept Point)
          Further enhancing the first-class receiver performance of the TS-50S --
          with a significantly reduced noise floor level -- is our AIP system. This
          exclusive circuit design is capable of raising dynamic range to 105 dB.

          Sounds like it something in the front end alright ... if it improves
          dynamic range why is it switched in and out as an operaters function?

          Jim, VE3CI
        • Clif
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2008
            An attenuator is just that and added to the front end of the radio to
            reduce the incoming signals by a set amount. The AIP reduces the
            distributed gain of the IF strip thus reducing the tendency of a
            strong signal to overload the radio and cause distortion to nearby
            signals.

            Yes it reduces the gain by about 10dB, but it not just a pad at the
            front end.

            If that isn't muddy enough I can dig up Kenwood's description of it.

            It actually works.

            Clif

            --- In Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com, Jim Dunstan <jdunstan@...> wrote:

            > At 12:40 PM 3/2/2008 -0500, you wrote:
            >

            > >Hi all,
            > >
            > >I have used my TS-50S for a few years now ... I bought it new just
            as they
            > >were ending their last production run. It is a great little rig
            which I use
            > >all bands all modes in my shack. There is a question I have which
            relates
            > >to the function and circuitry involved with the 'AIP'. The closest
            > >description I can find in the instruction book says: " AIP helps
            eliminate
            > >radio interference, and moderates receiver audio distortion which
            sometimes
            > >occurs when receiving a strong signal."
            > >
            > >The only difference I notice when it is selected is that it
            attenuates the
            > >signal about 10 db. I really don't notice any difference in
            performance.
            > >The attenuator inserts 20 db and the combination of attenuation +
            AIP 30
            > >db. a 2 step attenuator hi hi. What kind of circuitry does the AIP
            > >represent ... and does it work on the front end or the audio chain
            or both.
            > >Just curious, does it do anything in addition to attenuate the
            signal hi hi.
            > >73
            > >Jim, VE3CI
            >

            > Further to the above I also found:
            >
            > AIP (Advanced Intercept Point)
            > Further enhancing the first-class receiver performance of the TS-50S --
            > with a significantly reduced noise floor level -- is our AIP system.
            This
            > exclusive circuit design is capable of raising dynamic range to 105 dB.
            >
            > Sounds like it something in the front end alright ... if it improves
            > dynamic range why is it switched in and out as an operaters function?
            >
            > Jim, VE3CI

          • Jim Dunstan
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
              At 03:51 AM 3/3/2008 +0000, you wrote:

              >An attenuator is just that and added to the front end of the radio to
              >reduce the incoming signals by a set amount. The AIP reduces the
              >distributed gain of the IF strip thus reducing the tendency of a
              >strong signal to overload the radio and cause distortion to nearby
              >signals.
              >
              >Yes it reduces the gain by about 10dB, but it not just a pad at the
              >front end.
              >
              >If that isn't muddy enough I can dig up Kenwood's description of it.
              >
              >It actually works.
              >
              >Cliff

              Hi Cliff,

              I see, in other words it acts like a 1 step 10db 'IF gain control' and of
              course the attenuator is simply a pad at the front end before the signal
              gets to an amplifier or mixer. That's not muddy at all. The gain control
              system is just fine for normal SSB work (for which it was primarily
              intended). I have been using the TS-50 for digital communications ...
              usually PSK ... where signals can be very close to each other .... and I
              find the strong AGC makes copying weak signals difficult. I find that the
              AIP and front end attenuation helps ... in taming the AGC action. It would
              be nice to have the IF gain under manual control and to be able to defeat
              the AGC.

              My old Ten-Tec Corsair has this ability. In side by side comparisons when
              conditions are such that all signals are weak I find very little difference
              in performance ... the TS-50 performs about as well as the Corsair ... they
              are both excellent receivers. However when the band conditions has both
              strong local signals alongside weak dx signals the more flexible adjustment
              facility in the Corsair leaves the TX-50 behind. One of the main problems
              is the very active AGC in the TS-50.

              Jim
            • Clif
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
                I agree but you must realize the TS 50 was designed as a mobile rig.
                Not a do it all base station. Compromises were made.