Re: CAT-5060 interface by KF8KT

  • rad_470
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
      Hello Gary,

      The Cat interface will work with may different programs.

      Ham Radio Deluxe is very easy to use, it will detect your TS-50
      automatically, you can also use N1MM logger for contests and MixW
      for PSB31, RTTY operations and many more.

      If you want more informations on the CAT operations, please visit
      my Web Page to see my homemade version of a CAT interface :
      http://pages.infinit.net/ve2hls/Projets/CAT/cat_ang.htm

      If you dont want the problems of building your interface,
      Darrel KF8KT CAT-5060 interface will be a good choice for you!

      Hope this will help you!

      Have fun,
      72'& 73' de Serge VE2HLS

      --- In Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com, "Dee Flint" <deeflint01@...>
      wrote:

      > Yes, I used it with N3FJP's ACLOG with absolutely no problems.
      Matter of
      > fact, I used it with a laptop that had only USB ports so also had
      a USB to
      > serial converter in the line.
      >
      > Dee, N8UZE

    • Darrell Wright
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
        Hello All,

        I just reviewed Serge's info on his homemade CAT controller and want to
        congratulate him on a job well done on his project. It is good to see what
        others are doing to tackle this challenge and looks like Serge did it with
        off the shelf parts, using one of the CN6 pigtails I make, and that is
        always a good thing. I spent the better part of last winter doing the R&D
        to develop what ended up being the CAT-5060. I started off with a couple
        simple objectives one was to produce an interface that would be a bolt on
        IF-10D look-a-like. Have the ability to bolt onto the rig in the same
        manner that the IF-10D does and lastly have a serial cable that can be
        removed from the interface while leaving the interface attached to the rig
        and leaving the CN6 pigtail plugged into the rig. I was able to custom
        design a circuit board that would allow the objectives mentioned above to be
        accomplished as well as trying to eliminate any weak links in the design.

        Unfortunately with this rig there is a substantial weak link and that is the
        CN6 connector and the pigtail that connects to it. In my early prototypes
        the wires to the connector that plugs into the bottom of the rig would break
        causing the interface to stop working. By the way, Kenwood no longer makes
        replacement CN6 pigtails. At first I used RTV adhesive to shore up the CN6
        connector and eventually started using hot glue to do the job much better.
        I also use the hot glue gun on the Mini DIN socket pins as well as the pins
        on the Mini DIN plug to eliminate any failures due to vibration/motion
        should the rig be used in a mobile/portable installation. As Serge stated in
        his write-up the price of the OEM IF-10D/IF-232C set up from Kenwood is
        quite expensive assuming you can find them in working condition.

        I have been doing some research on doing a USB version of the CAT-5060 and
        might even offer the interface in kit form too. What I am thinking
        concerning the kit is critical work vs. entry level kit building. Anyone
        who has ventured to homebrew an interface for the TS-50 will attest to the
        challenge of making up the CN6 pigtail because of that I would include a
        pre-made pigtail in the kit as well as a pre assembled back plate. I have a
        pretty fool proof system for doing these two components and am confident
        that the kit can be assembled with minimal soldering skills by following my
        step-by-step instructions.

        If my counting using my fingers and toes is correct there are about 150
        CAT-5060's out and in use on every continent around the world. If you care
        to go to the files section there is a write up with more details on the
        interface and in the pictures section I have a few pics of the interface. I
        have 6 left from this current batch if anyone is interested in getting their
        favorite ham one for Christmas. I also am getting stocked up to do another
        batch and should have another dozen ready by Christmas.

        At $50 USD plus shipping the CAT-5060 is a great value and is built to take
        the punishment anywhere the rig is used.

        Best of'73 and good DX,

        Darrell KF8KT

        http://pages. <http://pages.infinit.net/ve2hls/Projets/CAT/cat_ang.htm>

        --- In Kenwood_TS50@ <mailto:Kenwood_TS50%40yahoogroups.com>