TS 50 loses power

  • Richard Tesar
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 9, 2007
      I have a nice TS50s that when you talk into the mic for a few seconds,
      it seems to drop out and then picks up again - it is not caused by high
      SWR because it does it even on a dummy load. It drops out and comes
      back - anyone have this problem and if so how was it solved? Dick
      WA4WIP
    • ve5dc
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 9, 2007
        --- In Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Tesar" <ricwip@...> wrote:

        > I have a nice TS50s that when you talk into the mic for a few seconds,
        > it seems to drop out and then picks up again - it is not caused by high
        > SWR because it does it even on a dummy load. It drops out and comes
        > back - anyone have this problem and if so how was it solved? Dick
        > WA4WIP

        I don't know if this will help or not but go to the following web page
        and check it out.

        http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/gITxRct5ps6fUM5mSy75Rv_9OwZozCAy8LoPfNNJq39YwMTr0G6z-7djs-vEinfSLH6Sb2e8rtpJubgc9zfQ8Cf3yA/MODS%20AND%20REPAIRS/Resoldering_DDS_TS-50.pdf

        VE5DC
      • Richard Tesar
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 9, 2007
          --- In Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com, "ve5dc" <jkdixon@...> wrote:

          > --- In Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Tesar" <ricwip@>
          wrote:

          > > I have a nice TS50s that when you talk into the mic for a few
          seconds,
          > > it seems to drop out and then picks up again - it is not caused
          by high
          > > SWR because it does it even on a dummy load. It drops out and
          comes
          > > back - anyone have this problem and if so how was it solved?
          Dick
          > > WA4WIP
          > >

          > I don't know if this will help or not but go to the following web
          page
          > and check it out.

          http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/gITxRct5ps6fUM5mSy75Rv_9OwZozCAy8LoPfNNJq
          39YwMTr0G6z-7djs-vEinfSLH6Sb2e8rtpJubgc9zfQ8Cf3yA/MODS%20AND%
          20REPAIRS/Resoldering_DDS_TS-50.pdf

          > VE5D

          Thanks - did that - no difference - when I whistle into the mic the
          power meter goes from a steady 60w to 200w and then down to zero and
          then back up to 60w - sure is erratic, huh? WA4WIP

        • deeflint01@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 9, 2007
            From: "Richard Tesar" <ricwip@...>
            > I have a nice TS50s that when you talk into the mic for a few seconds,
            > it seems to drop out and then picks up again - it is not caused by high
            > SWR because it does it even on a dummy load. It drops out and comes
            > back - anyone have this problem and if so how was it solved? Dick
            > WA4WIP

            First thing to check is your power supply and your connection from the power supply to the radio. I've had the same thing happen and it drove me nuts until I tried a different power supply and everything was fine.

            Dee, N8UZE

          • Jim Dunstan
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 9, 2007
              At 03:42 PM 3/9/2007 +0000, you wrote:

              >I have a nice TS50s that when you talk into the mic for a few seconds,
              >it seems to drop out and then picks up again - it is not caused by high
              >SWR because it does it even on a dummy load. It drops out and comes
              >back - anyone have this problem and if so how was it solved? Dick
              >WA4WIP

              Hi,

              I had this behavior when I tried to operate full power (100W) when using a
              12AMP power supply. It would drop out and then come back later. It worked
              FB on (50W and 10W). I now use a 35AMP supply and it operates fine at all
              power levels ... so try operating at 10W into the dummy load ... if okay
              ... it probably is the power supply.

              Jim, VE3CI
            • Clif
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 9, 2007
                The -6v supply in the radio is cycling. Just like the 850's do.
                Difference is the 850 has a small board to replace and the TS50 has
                all the parts mounted on the main board. Exact same circuit though...

                Clif