Low Output Power

  • Jerry Ford
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hi folks:
      I'm new to the group but wanted to take a minute and pick everyones
      brain. :-)
      I have a TS50 thats loosing power. The lower in freq you go, the worse
      it gets. Just curious if you guys would have an idea of what I should
      be looking for and what it might take to repair.
      On 10 mtrs the rig has about 80 watts output. On 80 mtrs it has about
      20 watts. this is tested into a good 50 ohm load so no mis-match to
      consider.
      Any ideas??

      Thanks & 73: Jerry N0JRN
    • Donald D Wilson
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
        Hi Jerry

        You might want to check out this site for some suggestions on what to
        look for:

        http://www.amateur-repairs.com/FULL_MONTE_TS-50.htm

        Thanks

        Don N9ZGE

        Jerry Ford wrote:

        > Hi folks:
        > I'm new to the group but wanted to take a minute and pick everyones
        > brain. :-)
        > I have a TS50 thats loosing power. The lower in freq you go, the worse
        > it gets. Just curious if you guys would have an idea of what I should
        > be looking for and what it might take to repair.
        > On 10 mtrs the rig has about 80 watts output. On 80 mtrs it has about
        > 20 watts. this is tested into a good 50 ohm load so no mis-match to
        > consider.
        > Any ideas??
        >
        > Thanks & 73: Jerry N0JRN

      • Clif
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2007
          The first step is to check the current draw. If it goes up as the
          power goes down then there is a problem in the LPF networks after the
          final unit. Most likely a stuck relay.

          If the current draw goes down as the power goes down then it's a lack
          of drive and most likely in the BP filters in the RF unit.

          Check those and get back and we can go from there.

          Do you have a service manual? If not try and buy, borrow, or download
          one from somewhere. It's almost necessary to find the various points
          needed to troubleshoot a radio.

          Clif

          --- In Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Ford" <n0jrn@...> wrote:

          > Hi folks:
          > I'm new to the group but wanted to take a minute and pick everyones
          > brain. :-)
          > I have a TS50 thats loosing power. The lower in freq you go, the worse
          > it gets. Just curious if you guys would have an idea of what I should
          > be looking for and what it might take to repair.
          > On 10 mtrs the rig has about 80 watts output. On 80 mtrs it has about
          > 20 watts. this is tested into a good 50 ohm load so no mis-match to
          > consider.
          > Any ideas??
          >
          > Thanks & 73: Jerry N0JRN

        • james27613
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3, 2007
            hi jerry,

            if you need the manuals, you can d/l them in pdf no cost

            http://www.radioamateur.eu/KENWOOD.html

            many operation and service manuals in pdf for all the big three and
            others, all at no cost.

            please upload a manual if you have on that is not there.

            73 james ke4drn