Re: [Kenwood_TS50] Re: TS-50 No Dial Lights

  • Bill Leahy
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
      Good luck and use magnifying (reading) glasses and a bright light, it really
      helps.

      On 7/31/06, james27613 <james27613@...> wrote:

      > hi bill,
      >
      > I got the ts-60 used in very good conditon
      > and did open the covers to check the rig out
      > and needed to replace the lithium battery.
      > That is when I noticed that bad cap.
      > It also has a different marking on the top
      > can compared to other caps with equal value
      > on other boards.
      >
      > I will replace it and check the traces,
      > that may solve the lamp problem.
      >
      > my s/n for the ts 60 is 60100242
      >
      > 73 james ke4drn

    • james27613
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
        Hi,

        Thanks, will do !

        73 james ke4drn
      • K4LLQ
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 3, 2006
          Thanks to the group for the input on the "TS-50 No Dial Lights " issue (bad
          plated thru hole). It is fixed and has worked for 24 hours. Of course the
          problem did not develop for the first 100 hours of operation so we shall
          see. There was definitely a open in the plated thru hole in the circuit
          board. That fix is not for the faint of heart. Yes Bill a bright light,
          magnifying glass, steady hand and just plain guts helps. My hat is off to
          whoever found that problem originally. My hope now is that some other plated
          thru hole does not open up! If someone want some details on what was
          difficult in my fix experience, just let me know.

          As to the bad cap mentioned by james ke4drn, note that "stain" is going
          p - not down as one would expect (unless the radio is stored upside down)
          it would be from a leaking cap. My radio has the same "stain" and it is
          just solder flux that was not removed when the cap was soldered in by hand
          after machine assembly of the rest of the board. Cleaned off with isopropyl
          alcohol easily and the traces were fine.

          Many, Many Thanks to the group for such a fine fix, Larry K4LLQ

          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 3, 2006
            Glad to ear that you fixed it!
            I guess we must thank Mario, DJ7UA, for posting the fix a few days
            back:

            The "no dial lights" problem seems to be fairly common and others
            will use these posts in the future.

            73s de CT2HME, John

            --- In Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com, "K4LLQ" <k4llq@...> wrote:

            > Thanks to the group for the input on the "TS-50 No Dial Lights "
            issue (bad
            > plated thru hole). It is fixed and has worked for 24 hours. Of
            course the
            > problem did not develop for the first 100 hours of operation so we
            shall
            > see. There was definitely a open in the plated thru hole in the
            circuit
            > board. That fix is not for the faint of heart. Yes Bill a bright
            light,
            > magnifying glass, steady hand and just plain guts helps. My hat is
            off to
            > whoever found that problem originally. My hope now is that some
            other plated
            > thru hole does not open up! If someone want some details on what
            was
            > difficult in my fix experience, just let me know.
            >
            > As to the bad cap mentioned by james ke4drn, note that "stain" is
            going
            > p - not down as one would expect (unless the radio is stored
            upside down)
            > it would be from a leaking cap. My radio has the same "stain" and
            it is
            > just solder flux that was not removed when the cap was soldered in
            by hand
            > after machine assembly of the rest of the board. Cleaned off with
            isopropyl
            > alcohol easily and the traces were fine.
            >
            > Many, Many Thanks to the group for such a fine fix, Larry K4LLQ
          • joaocunhalopes
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 3, 2006
              BTW, it would be nice if you could share the details with the group.

              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 26, 2006
                hi,

                I replaced the cap, no damage to the board.

                I posted two new photos of the LCD PCB,
                not sure of the holes to repair for the
                dial light problem.

                73 james

                --- In Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Leahy" <k0zl.ham@...>
                wrote:

                > Two ways to check the traces; identify where they terminate at
                either end of
                > the trace either at a component or at a thru-hole, or gently scrape
                the
                > green paint off the trace and look for good shiny copper
                underneath. If the
                > trace is damaged too badly you will see a gap in the copper. You
                may have to
                > remove the cap first. It should be replaced at any rate because it
                looks
                > like it has lost it's electrolytic solution.
                >
                > bill
              • james27613
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 15, 2007
                  hi bill,

                  if you can help me identify the correct place to repair,
                  my ts-60 may have different pcb then the ts-50.
                  I don't want to repair the wrong area.

                  I posted photos of the pcb to the photo section under dimmer circuit.

                  73 james ke4drn

                  --- In Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com, "K4LLQ" <k4llq@...> wrote

                  > Thanks to the group for the input on the "TS-50 No Dial Lights "
                  issue (bad
                  > plated thru hole). It is fixed and has worked for 24 hours. Of
                  course the
                  > problem did not develop for the first 100 hours of operation so we
                  shall
                  > see. There was definitely a open in the plated thru hole in the
                  circuit
                  > board. That fix is not for the faint of heart. Yes Bill a bright
                  light,
                  > magnifying glass, steady hand and just plain guts helps. My hat is
                  off to
                  > whoever found that problem originally. My hope now is that some
                  other plated
                  > thru hole does not open up! If someone want some details on what was
                  > difficult in my fix experience, just let me know.
                • Clif
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 15, 2007
                    In the FWIW dept. The TS50 and TS60 display units have different part
                    numbers but a quick look at the schematics shows no differences and
                    the board layout looks to be the same. ??????

                    Clif

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 22, 2007
                      hi cliff,

                      thanks, I put the radio back together for the vhf contest,
                      I'm going to dive into it again when I have more time,
                      the On Air and AT Tune led are relabeled Busy On Air on the
                      TS-60, looks like a software change and the boards very close.

                      when I jump the base+collector pin on Q1, I get full brightness
                      on the four lamps.

                      after dc power is removed and restored and radio is
                      turned on by power button, the lamps light and then bump up three
                      levels then go dark in 2 seconds.
                      Q1 base shows the voltage ramping up and then
                      drops to zero. (Dim menu setting makes no difference).

                      73 james ke4drn